Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deadfire vs Divinity OS 2

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Very interesting discussion. For me there's no contest because I hate turn-based. I did buy DoS1 on steam just because it was on a very good sale price, but have not yet played it at all and probably never will. I've checked several gameplay videos on Youtube and really hate how combat works in that game. Plus, even when you're not in combat there's no pause function. Really hate that.

• firkraag888 likes this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am more interested in the PoE2 vs Kingmaker debate

• Sonntam, Quillon and Melusina like this

Quillon

Quillon

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm more interested in Deadfire vs The World, GOTY 2018 debate  :yes:

• injurai and Melusina like this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 579 posts

The first Divinity: Original Sin did little to draw me in. The character generation, though classless, felt more stifling and less inventive than Pillars', even though Pillars has classes. I have little interest in the warrior/rogue/mage division, even if it's not technically enforced by classes. So I skipped it. Maybe I wasn't fair and would have loved it, but that's my impression.

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3103 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The first Divinity: Original Sin did little to draw me in. The character generation, though classless, felt more stifling and less inventive than Pillars', even though Pillars has classes. I have little interest in the warrior/rogue/mage division, even if it's not technically enforced by classes. So I skipped it. Maybe I wasn't fair and would have loved it, but that's my impression.

I believe that DOS main strength lies in coop. Characters and scenarios aren't particularly engaging unto themselves but it is a way you interact with the world and solve problems which makes it so fun. If you have a gaming buddy I can't think of better game to spend an evening with than DOS.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I believe that DOS main strength lies in coop. Characters and scenarios aren't particularly engaging unto themselves but it is a way you interact with the world and solve problems which makes it so fun. If you have a gaming buddy I can't think of better game to spend an evening with than DOS.

Although the people who answered they'll play the game co-op were quite a low percentage to their servey. They know most people will play it solo, that's why they made it with one main character this time, although they supported co-op (even upgraded it to 4 players) because there is still an audiance for this PLUS it makes good combo with their DM mode they're introducing this time.

Larian loves fun in their games and they show it ;)

Edited by Sedrefilos, 11 September 2017 - 11:07 AM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think each game has its pros and its cons...

I will say that (from what I've seen), DOS2 has more interesting companions and I favor turn-based combat over rtwp combat. However, something about PoE Deadfire's lore grabs me and I'm looking forward to the ship and crew originality it brings to rpg's.

I think PoE Deadfire is far different from the first while DO2 is more like the first.

I agree with Sedrefilos, Larian's concepts have always been about fun, moreso than Obsidian could ever hope to be. Obsidian is more serious and grim tone. Larian can be serious and grim if the occasion calls for it.

I guess they are totally opposites in rpg's yet they are two great games to pit against each other. I mean, why not? There's alot of great points to make comparisons and I always told friends that PoE and DOS were great rpg's that complimented each other because of how different they are. They are so different that they are a match in heaven.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm more interested in Deadfire vs The World, GOTY 2018 debate  :yes:

Well.... you asked for it.

37177803645_1f91f59613_o.png

Special thanks to Penett on Tumbler for that really cool Durance fan art I used.

• aluminiumtrioxid, illathid, Quillon and 2 others like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
If we're talking vs here, I'm interested in seeing Durance vs Bojack Horseman.
  • JerekKruger and Juodas Varnas like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm more interested in Deadfire vs The World, GOTY 2018 debate :yes:

While I like youe enthusiasm, there's A LOT of great games coming in 2018. Honestly, I thinm Deadfire will be pushed aside, overlooked and ultimately forgotten by the vast public.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Deadfire will be somewhat niche, but for it's audiences I don't think it will be overlooked. If we are being honest games like Dark Souls they only sell between 1.7 - 2.7 million copies. Which is pretty good for it, but still nowhere near the titans. Pillars being quite close to the original Dark Souls bodes well. Especially with a console entry now.

• kierun and SonicMage117 like this

firkraag888

firkraag888

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 318 posts
Pillars 1 has sold nearly 2 million coppies on steam, gog, private sales and console.

deadfire will certainly outsell pillars 1.

What has me gobsmacked is the mis guided adventures of tyranny and torment tides on numnera, both of them complete and utter disasters in terms of sales.

The devs need to listen to the market and and make games like pillars and deadfire not this other crap like tyranny and co

Edited by firkraag888, 15 September 2017 - 05:30 AM.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Firk, calm down mate.

• Karkarov, kierun, Hertzila and 4 others like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Pillars 1 has sold nearly 2 million coppies on steam, gog, private sales and console.

What has me gobsmacked is the mis guided adventures of tyranny and torment tides on numnera, both of them complete and utter disasters in terms of sales.

The devs need to listen to the market and and make games like pillars and deadfire not this other crap like tyranny and co

When Tyranny released, most people thought it was still half a year out. People hadn't budgeted for it, Paradox did relatively little on marketing. Then they go off saying they it didn't perform as they expected. Not sure how a publisher asks for a short dev cycle, gives little in the way of marketing, shoves it out the door and acts like the factors contributing to it's performance must lie beyond what they control. But the reception of people that actually played it seems positive, so it has that going for it.

Torment despite some vocal hypekids, I think was generally underwhelming and people caught wind of that. The lack of DLC also failed to generate a second burst of sales on the full game. I really don't know what InXile was doing with that project, picking Numenera in hindsight is also very headscratch inducing.

Between the two I think Tyranny can still be turned around to some extent.

• illathid, Mygaffer and algroth like this

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just checked. Dos2 only raised $2mil in there crowdfunding campaign. Was a long campaign too 60 days I think

I don't think is a great way to compare the two. DOS 1 appears to have sold more copies. I much prefer Pillars myself but DOS 2 is a big improvement over DOS 1.

I'd like to see a lot of success for Obsidian, I think production values on Deadfire that closer to DOS 2 than Pillars 1 will help them close the sales gap between the two.

• Karkarov likes this

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Where do you get these numbers? I've heard it's closer to 1 million on PC and I haven't seen any numbers for the console release but there is no way it's moved 1 million units in such a short time.

Melusina

Melusina

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

DOS2 sold close to 500 000 copies in one week.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not in one week. That figure includes kickstarter and all other presales as well. DOS2 had sold over 300k before it was released, and sold ~180k in its first release week.

• Karkarov, illathid and draego like this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Past 500K now, I'm expecting a million by next summer

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

D:OS II and Deadfire are completely different games.

I wish Deadfire had an option to play with buddies or some kind of MP support, but no... it will be as a good book, just for mere solo entertainment.

On the other hand D:OS II is not as deep (plain and straight forward, but still with unexpected and cool story turnovers) as I expect Deadfire will be with all that lore / char import baggage from first pillars.

I would love to play in Eora world the way like I can in D:OS II GM mode or arena.

Hopefully Obsidian will do something like that in future.

P.S. And I like Obsidian art style more, it's just closer for my heart ♥

P.P.S I never finished D:OS I, cause I felt its getting repetitive and boring, and I don't want even to try it again.

On the other hand PoE I - studied everything, tryharded for every achievement...

Every game has a point when it's not fun anymore and I feel Obsidian > Larian.

Anyway - those are great teams, I like their products and I'll support their work in future.

Edited by Nail, 21 September 2017 - 10:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users