I've never got into either of the Icewind Dale games. They have no plot to speak of, only endless grind through combat encounters... and their combat systems are both very poor. Having to constantly rest because your team is taking a beating isn't particularly fun. In IWD2, I made the mistake of making my divine caster a druid, rather than a cleric, as well.

I replayed IWD1 for about 8 times so far. The story IS typical heroic fantasy but I really enjoyed the uncertainty who is the baddie. Also graphical feel (backgrounds) and music (by Jeremi Soule) are fantastic and build this great atmosphere.

I always try to keep in mind that nostalgia is a helluva drug. I'd play Baldur's Gate today, but I've really fallen out of love with the old Fallout, and a lot of it is simply due to my being less emotionally invested in the latter.

Nah, I guess it depends what you like. I replayed Fallout1 couple months ago and its as good as I remember it being. However, I never found Fallout games to be immersive or got emotionally invested in them. For me fallout is about creating character, and approaching problems in various ways and it is still very much in the game and still on of the best implimentations of "freedom" in RPG i have seen (of course Fallout2 more so.)

Its also a smaller game than I remember it being.

These are two completely different games.

That's like comparing oranges and apples.

D:OS II had a blast on me, took away almost 160 hours, but due bugs I have no desire to play it anymore, maybe later, but not at this state.

I really hope Deadfire will give me a blast too.

I expect from it not less then BG2 / Fallout 2 experience.

Hopefully the game will be great and without any crucial bugs like D:OS II.

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

• 1 year later...

Although I am Belgian myself, I couldn't get into either DOS or DOS 2. The major turn-off is the turn-based mode. I don't mind the turn-based nature of tabletop games with friends but I just can't stomach it in a pc game. It is really boring and static and it reminds me of colonial duals where each opponent takes a shot at each turn.

I very much appreciate PoE 2 Deadfire having so well designed RTWP combat. Thank you so much Obsidian !!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morrydwen said:

It is really boring and static and it reminds me of colonial duals where each opponent takes a shot at each turn.

If you remember colonial duels then you lived for far longer then I did. It might also explain why you resurrected a thread which was dead for a year and a half - for us mortals the conversation is long dead. 😉

• Like 2

I have a friend that recently bought D:OS2, thinkin that he would enjoy it. He did, but he wasn't particularly fond of the world itself (Which is what I thought he would), so then I recommended Pillars of Eternity 1 to him, and currently he finds that world much more interesting. I personally prefer PoE1 and 2 over D:OS2, but there is many features that D:OS2 has that would be awesome for a future POE (If it is in the line of possibility).

I love how you can interact with the environment in D:OS2, moving around crates strategically, the different type of floor hazards you can use to your advantage. One of the things I have the most fun with is playing undead and just healing in pools of poison.

The multiplayer. One reason I also wanted my friend to play D:OS2 over PoE was simply so we could play together. Now this is maybe some that can be a bit more out of scope for future PoE games, but it is something that could be awesome to have, and hope to have.

Creating your own stories. There is a lot of tools in D:OS2 to create your own roleplaying sessions, which is dope (Which I have not used, so I wouldn't know if they are implemented well). Though this seems totally out of the realm of possibility unless Obsidian want to change PoE from being isometric 2D (Or at least static 3D?) to a full 3D with map editors. This could take some of the charm and classic feeling away from PoE that it is going for, and I don't expect that choice would be for everyone.