Deadfire will be somewhat niche, but for it's audiences I don't think it will be overlooked. If we are being honest games like Dark Souls they only sell between 1.7 - 2.7 million copies. Which is pretty good for it, but still nowhere near the titans. Pillars being quite close to the original Dark Souls bodes well. Especially with a console entry now.

• Like 2

Pillars 1 has sold nearly 2 million coppies on steam, gog, private sales and console.

deadfire will certainly outsell pillars 1.

What has me gobsmacked is the mis guided adventures of tyranny and torment tides on numnera, both of them complete and utter disasters in terms of sales.

The devs need to listen to the market and and make games like pillars and deadfire not this other crap like tyranny and co

Edited by firkraag888

Pillars 1 has sold nearly 2 million coppies on steam, gog, private sales and console.

What has me gobsmacked is the mis guided adventures of tyranny and torment tides on numnera, both of them complete and utter disasters in terms of sales.

The devs need to listen to the market and and make games like pillars and deadfire not this other crap like tyranny and co

When Tyranny released, most people thought it was still half a year out. People hadn't budgeted for it, Paradox did relatively little on marketing. Then they go off saying they it didn't perform as they expected. Not sure how a publisher asks for a short dev cycle, gives little in the way of marketing, shoves it out the door and acts like the factors contributing to it's performance must lie beyond what they control. But the reception of people that actually played it seems positive, so it has that going for it.

Torment despite some vocal hypekids, I think was generally underwhelming and people caught wind of that. The lack of DLC also failed to generate a second burst of sales on the full game. I really don't know what InXile was doing with that project, picking Numenera in hindsight is also very headscratch inducing.

Between the two I think Tyranny can still be turned around to some extent.

• Like 3

Just checked. Dos2 only raised $2mil in there crowdfunding campaign. Was a long campaign too 60 days I think

I don't think is a great way to compare the two. DOS 1 appears to have sold more copies. I much prefer Pillars myself but DOS 2 is a big improvement over DOS 1.

I'd like to see a lot of success for Obsidian, I think production values on Deadfire that closer to DOS 2 than Pillars 1 will help them close the sales gap between the two.

• Like 1

Where do you get these numbers? I've heard it's closer to 1 million on PC and I haven't seen any numbers for the console release but there is no way it's moved 1 million units in such a short time.

D:OS II and Deadfire are completely different games.

I wish Deadfire had an option to play with buddies or some kind of MP support, but no... it will be as a good book, just for mere solo entertainment.

On the other hand D:OS II is not as deep (plain and straight forward, but still with unexpected and cool story turnovers) as I expect Deadfire will be with all that lore / char import baggage from first pillars.

I would love to play in Eora world the way like I can in D:OS II GM mode or arena.

Hopefully Obsidian will do something like that in future.

P.S. And I like Obsidian art style more, it's just closer for my heart ♥

P.P.S I never finished D:OS I, cause I felt its getting repetitive and boring, and I don't want even to try it again.

On the other hand PoE I - studied everything, tryharded for every achievement...

Every game has a point when it's not fun anymore and I feel Obsidian > Larian.

Anyway - those are great teams, I like their products and I'll support their work in future.

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I didn't care that much for D:OS I, but I must admit I'm having a blast with the sequel. The characters are funny, well acted, and interesting enough for you to care. The exploration is fantastic, the animals are great, and the diverse number of solutions to each encounter and quest is brilliant. It really capitalises on its strengths. I imagine PoE II will have abit more serious tone to it, better writing, character progression, and more focus on quest resolution outside combat than D:OS II. Atleast I hope that is the case, since I think that is the strong sides of the first game.
But man, what a great time to play rpgs. ^_^

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 1

I had high hopes..rly for DOS 2...but im alrdy bored after some hours.

1. Worst camera ever :(

2. Its absolutly melee-unfriendly...and the +luck+ is a bit too much for my taste.

3. Story and compaignon storys are not enjoyable for me.

4. Combat feels boring and not that fun like @ POE 1 ..i have played other games with round combat but the dos'games are absolutly no fun for me.

5. Inventory is awful too..and very buggy.

Its no fail-game..but just not my taste at all.

I have high hopes for POE 2 !!

@Cartesii

1. Camera is 360 rotatable and zoomable, I think it works just fine.

2. Seriously? 'Cause 3 out of 4 of my party members are mostly melee and they kick major ass. Also, luck? Where?
4. Full of tactical alchemies. Great. Try scroundel+metamorph combo (flying around the field and backstabbing everyone) with a bit of teleportation. Best fun I had in rpg combat for long.

D:OS 2 is generally a very good game, but I have to agree on the camera. I'm sure a lot of people prefer 3D, but to me it's just fiddly and annoying.

I do like fixed isometric as I don't feel like full 3D makes game more fiddly to play without adding much. In case of Divinity it helps with making game editable (with GM mode etc.).

I really don't like Original Sin's camera and the whole 3D frills (I also don't lie the looks, but usually I can just ignore that and be happy).

I tried to play it, spend dozens of hours generating my characters (another thing I don't like too much is that you start with two) - and it took me sooo long to adapt to the camera and controls. Sure, I'm getting older and those things take longer for me than when I was younger - still annoying.

Then you can't highlight containers and I had to constantly hover over the floor not to miss them all the time...

I stopped playing just because I started to hate the camera and the controls so much. Funny because normally I like turn-based rpgs (anyone tried Blackguards? It's not too great but I still like it) and even some other 3D action rpgs with candy-graphics like Torchlight and so on. This one was a huge disappointment for me. Damn I backed OS II... :(

I had the same issues with Dragon Age: Origins, but I got around it and adapted more quickly and then I enjoyed it immensely. But this time I either didn't have the time or the patience to adapt to this (in my opinion) fiddly mess.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I really don't like Original Sin's camera and the whole 3D frills (I also don't lie the looks, but usually I can just ignore that and be happy).

I tried to play it, spend dozens of hours generating my characters (another thing I don't like too much is that you start with two) - and it took me sooo long to adapt to the camera and controls. Sure, I'm getting older and those things take longer for me than when I was younger - still annoying.

Then you can't highlight containers and I had to constantly hover over the floor not to miss them all the time...

I stopped playing just because I started to hate the camera and the controls so much. Funny because normally I like turn-based rpgs (anyone tried Blackguards? It's not too great but I still like it) and even some other 3D action rpgs with candy-graphics like Torchlight and so on. This one was a huge disappointment for me. Damn I backed OS II... :(

I had the same issues with Dragon Age: Origins, but I got around it and adapted more quickly and then I enjoyed it immensely. But this time I either didn't have the time or the patience to adapt to this (in my opinion) fiddly mess.

I am actually only now giving D:OS a second shot and I am having quite a good time. I still feel it works much better in coop though. Many of its design decisions are made with two players in mind. While having to create two characters is odd but creating your character, while your friend creates his on the other side of the screen was really cool. I don't hate camera THAT much but it is a much less smooth experience than a old good isometric provides. I actually disliked DA:O camera more - I felt it liked to obscure things with architecture a bit too often.

No button to highlight for interactive objects is odd. I missed quite a bit of things on my first attempt due to missing a shelf with important info. 

What I do very much like in Divinity:OS is how consistant the game is. All spells and abilities are available outside combat (as well as other items are available in combat) and some of them can be used in a creative way to interact with enviroment. Thanks to it, it doesn't have thing clear cut-out - dialogue, combat, expolration - design that PoE has. Things intertwine in a very organic way. The story is nothing to be bragging about but it can get a chuckle out every once in a while. 

Dragon Age: Origins has a highlight option IIRC so that's not surprising. Plus I don't think they tried to do any of the camera puzzles that Larian is known for doing. At Least I don't remember such camera games.

One thing I really wish other games with rotatable cameras would take from Larian's camera is the automatic transparency of cover based on your camera and character position. But Deadfire has a static camera, so...

Funny how many rpg fans complain all the time about how "handholding" newer games are and when they stumble on a new rpg that doesn't do that (DOS/DOS2 in this case) they complain about stuff not being that easy for them :p

True fact: DOS and DOS 2 are more hardcore than Pillars. Less help, more find-it-out-by-yourself mentality. They help you only when it is fair (like highlighting the stuff that are around you on the ground to pick up in a limited range but not containers, npcs, interactive object etc or having you find where the good skillbook vendors are, make you walk around carefully and see the possibilities of the map etc) and has you put custom map markers (which I REALLY like in rpgs!). I'm not saying I prefer that over the more streamlined Pillars way per se, but it fits well in the game and makes you think more, like everything is a puzzle with many solutions that you'll find out your own sooner or later depending of the time you spend on it and your approach.

Pillars doesen't do that much - it's more streamlined - but I'd like to see that in Deadfire; and something tells me I will ;)

EDIT: I see that many here talk about DOS rather than DOS 2 (which OP is calling to compare) and I have to say that Pillars was, at the end, more enjoyable than DOS - but DOS 2 is like 50 levels higher than DOS; the principles are the same but the execution is way better. I still believe that there shouldn't be a comparison between the two games because they are different in may ways but in terms of overall feeling, at this moment is DOS < Pillars < DOS 2 slightly, only because it feels a more focused and "coplete" design. Given that I like IE approach more, I believe at the end, I'll like Deadfire more, but at this moments the case is this (and mind you: I just only finnished the 2nd chapter of DOS2, the "small" one (out of Fort Joy)! I'm waiting for more complex and exciting stuff to come!).

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

EDIT: I see that many here talk about DOS rather than DOS 2 (which OP is calling to compare) and I have to say that Pillars was, at the end, more enjoyable than DOS - but DOS 2 is like 50 levels higher than DOS; the principles are the same but the execution is way better. I still believe that there shouldn't be a comparison between the two games because they are different in may ways but in terms of overall feeling, at this moment is DOS < Pillars < DOS 2 slightly, only because it feels a more focused and "coplete" design. Given that I like IE approach more, I believe at the end, I'll like Deadfire more, but at this moments the case is this (and mind you: I just only finnished the 2nd chapter of DOS2, the "small" one (out of Fort Joy)! I'm waiting for more complex and exciting stuff to come!).

Having played some OG Sin 2 I mostly agree with this statement. 

It is vastly improved over part 1, the comedy is there but less relentlessly in your face (which is funny cause only OG Sin 1 does this, all the other Divinity games were more subtle), the story seems more interesting, and the changes to combat helped a lot. 

No longer is the game "tactical", read: spam status effects and lock down the fight in round one so enemies never even get a turn.  Now you have to deal with actual armor/magic armor, enemies are smarter, and many fights start as ambushes where enemies have superior placement and location.  Also attacking from high ground now gives bonus damage, and from low gives damage penalties. 

Lastly the game doesn't seem to be getting easier the farther I get, the challenge stays consistent.

However...

The Camera is still flaming balls.  This is not because of "3D RPG", this is because it just sucks.  You need to be able to zoom out farther than you can, and there is way too much crap at high terrain levels that constantly makes seeing things hard. 

Not being able to highlight containers is also retarded.  I can highlight NPC's, I can see ground items, I can even see NPC's "vision cone", but I can't tell if that box is a container or just a piece of scenery without mouse-hovering it????? 

Unfortunately there also seems to be no penalty for being a douche bag.  What's that?  Caught me stealing your 400 gold, a skill book, and an armor?  Here, have 50 gold, we all good now?  Great!

They are still different games, and OG Sin is still better in multiplayer than single player, but the sequel is definitely a step in the right direction.

That said, I still prefer Eternity.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

True fact: DOS and DOS 2 are more hardcore than Pillars.

Maybe so, as long as you explain what more hardcore means. Its harder? I am not so sure, though I didn't try DOS on harder difficulties. It doesn't hold your hand, true, but that's because DOS is more of a mechanic based sandbox RPG than a storytelling RPG. PoE would fell apart if you could miss critical parts of the story, and DOS would fell apart if it wouldn't make you figure things out yourself as well, the quests themselves aren't all that interesting. I admit that there a parts of DOS I would happily skip. Shopping and inventory management is annoying due to the time it take to go from one shop to another, and how fiddly inventory is (please please Obsidian, can me make sure we can see all of party members' inventory on ONE screen as it was in PoE1? Switching between characters is really annoying).

I do share your hope that Deadfire will open up a bit. Various mechanics they expand on (stealth, picking pockets, reverse picking pockets, exploding barrlels, factions, relationships) give me hope that they will make more flexible and involving quests. My favourite quests in the game were Roderick's hold and monastry in WM2 and I hope that they are looking to give that kind of depth to their whole game this time around. We will see.

Beautiful thing of having multiple RPGs with different strengths might lead to devs learning from each other resulting in more ambitious game overall. 

PS. I am refering to DOS as I have not played DOS2 and probably won't be able to play it for a while :(

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

I don't doubt that it's a great game for most people. It only seems it's not great for me. :)

It's not only the 3D stuff. I liked Skyrim very much for example. It's the whole package that somehow doesn't appeal to me.

By the way I really loved the very first Divine Divinity game back in the days!

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods