Saw this in my feed and thought it relevant:

http://kotaku.com/fans-love-the-way-this-street-fighter-v-character-walks-1798620437?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Again I wish to state that, it's not the end of the world if there is no walking. Just providing another point towards community reactivity towards something as mundane and normal ad walking.

Last thread ended in a facepalm, feel free to close this thread too. Just wanted to share this story and couldn't think of a relevant existing thread.

That was dumb.

Well I'd rather talk about walking then that other nonsense topic which everyone can't seem to stay away from.

I love going for a good walk, oh yes! I could go for a walk right now... When's the last time you walked?

edit: I really feel like playing Suikoden now... great avatar!

Edited by daven

nowt

Well, it's more or less part 10~ give or take if you consider older iterations. Let it go walk down the pages if it does *shrug* (search "Walking" in the forum search function, or "Walking Toggle")

I thought it interesting as a counter-point to all the naysayers that were oozing "No walking!!!" mentality.

I think it's ome of those mundane features that no one really thinks much about, because it's just that (normal human and social behavior).

I remember a psychology class, blended with some biology. At a young age we walk with great effort, but after a while it becomes an automatic wiring in our brains. We walk with little to no energy and it is hardly an effort.

Maybe it's one of those subliminal features that just makes a game better by being there, used or unused by Players, but by simply existing it portrays something human? *shrug*

Regardless, it's all about community reaction. Albeit, it's only for one character in a Street Fighter game, so maybe it doesn't apply?

Edited by Osvir

in that closed thread i mentioned two things why IMO walking is better and i‘d like to give a final thought about it. So….

First, walking animations are cooler and help distinguish characters. Think of the main char in ps:t walking as a zombie or think of Jan/Korgan as opposed to human/elf chars in BG2. Or the vampires moving in BG2. I think Obsidian has very talented artists and they‘re selling themselves short if they set the current running animation as the standard animation.

Secondly, if the enemy movement speed is set to walking speed of your chars, as i mentioned, it would help better than slow mode, at least for me. In slow mode i can‘t tell combat actions/movement and how they will resolve as good as in real time. If the player chars are running as standard movement and the enemies are set to walking speed then the player has an advantage on the enemy from the start.

There‘s no reason why nearly 20 years later Obsidian‘s artists can‘t come up with smoothier animations which have the same speed of the ‚silly walk‘ of the old games. And for those who tell it‘s tedious there‘s still fast mode.

So yeah that‘s that from my side :)

Saw this in my feed and thought it relevant:

http://kotaku.com/fans-love-the-way-this-street-fighter-v-character-walks-1798620437?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Again I wish to state that, it's not the end of the world if there is no walking. Just providing another point towards community reactivity towards something as mundane and normal ad walking.

Last thread ended in a facepalm, feel free to close this thread too. Just wanted to share this story and couldn't think of a relevant existing thread.

• Like 2

I personally have skipped many games for this only reason, tyranny included. I can play games ignoring little annoyances because I don´t have any OCT, but this is a annoyance you see 99% of the playtime. It´s not the lack of drinking potion animations or any other stupid thing. It's something your character does all the time. A person walks unless he has a reason to run. I think it's not that hard to understand. Some game developers or hardcore players fail to see this point of view because they don´t play like normal persons, they are always testing things or running to the next point of interest. Not all people play like that. For me, the game is in the journey, not in the achivement.

• Like 1

I know you just care about walk toggle Osvir, and just want to make your case.... but if this were a forum I modded (and there are forums I do mod), I would be shutting this thread down on the grounds it is a repost of one locked just days ago.

Everything there is to say on this subject has been said, let's move on.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Hopefully people who have a vote get to see the ideas behind all the misunderstandings and the overall tone in which the discussion ended, reconsider and take the best decision for the game.

Walk toggle ONLY if they capture Ministry of Silly Walks animations. Else full sprint only.

Hah, it would be hilarious to have a silly walks option along with big heads.

Actually, is a good analogy for people who don't get at all people who cant stand no walking toggle: imagine silly walks as default :grin:

• Like 1

Hopefully people who have a vote get to see the ideas behind all the misunderstandings and the overall tone in which the discussion ended, reconsider and take the best decision for the game.

Walk toggle ONLY if they capture Ministry of Silly Walks animations. Else full sprint only.

Hah, it would be hilarious to have a silly walks option along with big heads.

Actually, is a good analogy for people who don't get at all people who cant stand no walking toggle: imagine silly walks as default :grin:

I would PAY for a silly walk.

Silly Walk Toggle!!! Please. Mod. Change title of thread xD

It's a joke, but would be fun :p

D:OS beta/early access had a funny "Monty Python" esque Stealth mechanic :p pulling out a trumpet before going into Stealth

one improvement bg2 developers touted were increased walking speed compared to bg. the soul-numbing slogs 'cross wilderness maps with few encounters save a hobgoblin or gnoll ambush were a frequent complaint o' folks on the old boards. even poe developers added a yakety sax speed option for movement. is not a new issue, but as long as it has been 'round, developer efforts appear to be opposite o' the goal o' those promulgating these threads. is always a small but curious vocal group o' folks who want slow. 'course such is the problem.  the folks who want a slow walk option do not seem to realize they is small.

is nothing wrong with the diehards asking for stuff, but until you get some kinda critical mass, this appeal seems doomed.  got our sympathy if not support. Gromnir has been vocal minority more than once on these and other boards. however, is simple far too few walk toggle advocates, and their efforts appear to be directed at making frequent and repetitive appeals as 'posed to building support.

HA! Good Fun!

ps to keep up with the spirit o' the thread, this issue has been a dead man walking for some time.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I promise: If I'll ever make a game, this will be the first feature that will be implemented.

Wait...

I once made a game and it was the first feature that was implemented. Too bad that it never got finished.

Unless it was a walking simulator then you should have started from implementing and developing core game mechanics which would make the base for the rest of the experience ;-P

That was dumb.

Well I'd rather talk about walking then that other nonsense topic which everyone can't seem to stay away from.

I love going for a good walk, oh yes! I could go for a walk right now... When's the last time you walked?

edit: I really feel like playing Suikoden now... great avatar!

Gosh how could I miss the second post in the thread?? xD

I walk around 11'000+ steps a day (between 0.8 and 1.0 metric miles a day). It has to do with the job (construction). It's funny to look at my step meter during the weekends xD (I average between 1 to approximately ~20 steps on weekends :p). Mostly because I don't carry my phone with me just to go to the fridge and back :p hmm, might do that next weekend, just to see how many steps it actually is.

EDIT: And Suikoden is probably one of my favorite game series of all time. Interesting, didn't think about it but... but you can "Hold Button" to run ;P

EDIT2: Wrote 8 and 10 metric miles when it was a lot less xD (10 kilometers = 1 metric mile ~ 0.6 miles/36000 feet)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

It's something your character does all the time. A person walks unless he has a reason to run.

This. People probably hear "walk" in regard to movement speed and think "THOSE A-HOLES WANT TO SLOW OUR CHARACTERS DOWN!", but your characters don't actually have an inherent speed that's getting "slowed down." PLUS, even if you didn't slow the actual movement speed down any, the characters could still have walking animations until something in the game had them actually run (maybe some escape sequence, or a sprint ability, etc.). It's kind of like... if one shouts all the time, how does that person easily emphasize sudden concern, anger, etc.?

Thinking back, there are a lot of JRPGs and such that had characters animatedly walking/trekking around, but they still moved pretty quickly (probably abnormally so, but who really cares when it comes down to it?). Regardless of whatever animation your character is performing, they're either moving at a reasonable speed or they aren't. There's either a reason for it to take X amount of time to traverse an area, or there isn't. Hence the birth of fast travel. It often gets misused, but the purpose of fast travel is to skip travel when it's unnecessary. The reason you usually can't take advantage of it until you've cleared an area or reached a certain checkpoint is because the game is designed for you to actually reach that checkpoint at less-than-instant speeds. Kinda like how the purpose of level 10 is for you to have to progress to level 10, rather than immediately possessing all of the qualities of a level 10 character.

TL;DR -- walking animations as the default, even with maybe unrealistically fast movement speed, would be fantastic, with sprinting/running/fast-stepping-during-epic-combat-maneuvers actually standing out and impacting things a lot over the course of an entire game.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

No one actually has a problem with the idea of a walking toggle. They likely don't see it as essential for realism seeing as there will be countless other breaks from reality in game. Always joggging in a break most people can cope with which is why some people feel other things should be prioritised first.

• Like 3

I don't see it as a must, but I don't really see a problem if it's in either. I honestly couldn't be more neutral on the topic. Whatever happens is fine, really, even if nothing happens at all.

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice