PoE 2 needs a "Stand your ground" button.

Something I always thought was missing from PoE that would have been really helpful was a stand your ground button.  Maybe it wasn't to important when the game was first released since there was no real AI, but AI was added in and then the only way to get your guys to stand their ground was to turn it off and have them stand around like idiots while you micro manage each one, exactly how the game was without AI in the first place.

Ideally you could have a chosen AI setting picked and toggle on stand your ground when you want to create a defensive formation or whatever.  Your guys would stay in place but still use abilities or target new enemies after killing the current one.  You can't really properly use friendly fire AoE spells without either a stand your ground ability button or heavy micromanagement, imo.

It's been awhile since I played them but I'm pretty sure both the Icewind Dale games as well as the Baldur's Gate games had stand your ground buttons.  I've seen some videos of the new UI for PoE 2 and I'm not seeing anything different that suggests to me one was added in so I decided to express my desire for one before game development progresses to far for one to be considered.

I did a quick search before posting this and I couldn't find any mention of a stand your ground function.  If it's already been confirmed or talked about let me know.

• Like 13

I was mentioning things like this elsewhere. Not only do I want a party AI mechanic, I also want a formation and battle plan mechanic. Much like drafting plays in American football. I'd love to be able to mix conditional AI with general engagement formations. Then have all of that with very easy to handle overrides, strategy detours, visible action queues, and queuing macros.

• Like 1

Don't forget keeping them from running headlong into traps.

I meant to mention this too but forgot...   there's a few places in the game with active traps in the middle of the battlefield.  It's nice the game will pause when they're detected, but it'd be great if you could get your guys to stand still long enough for someone to disarm said traps.

Oh yes! I was constantly switching on and off the AI. And then I'd forget it off and get my character killed in the next fight.

I'd also like an "ignore engagement" button. I had go to the menu and untick and retick the "continue on engagement" box every time I needed that.

• Like 1

Don't forget keeping them from running headlong into traps.

This is the thing that bugs me the most. I don't mind micro managing my party in combat. In CRPGs I keep the AI off, even when it's decent like in Dragon Age: Origin. However, when trap is identified, I except people to walk around, and not through, the trap.

• Like 1

Isn't there an autopause setting for stop party movement when a trap is discovered and also when enemies are sighted?

Sounds like you need to adjust your auto pause settings.

Yeah, I have that set. But I don't have to have to walk each individual character around a trap that they should just walk around by them selves. Especially in combat where they may collide with one another, then the pathfinding AI goes nuts and they end up gods know where.

Isn't there an autopause setting for stop party movement when a trap is discovered and also when enemies are sighted?

Yeah, I have that set. But I don't have to have to walk each individual character around a trap that they should just walk around by them selves. Especially in combat where they may collide with one another, then the pathfinding AI goes nuts and they end up gods know where.

That is true. It would make sense to make AI not step on traps once it was discovered. There is no situation in which you would want to set those up manually.

That is true. It would make sense to make AI not step on traps once it was discovered. There is no situation in which you would want to set those up manually.

What about traps that are unavoidable if you want to go a certain way?

I think you can still try to disarm the trap and then trigger it if you're unable to.  Though that may take more time than just running through with the whole party.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think you can still try to disarm the trap and then trigger it if you're unable to.  Though that may take more time than just running through with the whole party.
It is easier to avoid the blast if you run over the trap though.

There's a few places in the game that have traps right in the middle of the battlefield.  One of the worst is a floor in Odd Nua that just has a bunch of giant spores and tree druids.  The traps there have a very large area of effect and also have a chance to instant kill party members.   Of course you want to have the game set to pause once you discover traps, but that's not going to stop your guys from running into them in the middle of the battle, and if you use Aloth to disarm traps like I do he honestly has better things to be doing at that time than running up into the front line to disarm some traps so that my melee guys don't wipe out the entire team by accident.

It is easier to avoid the blast if you run over the trap though.

I don't know how the trap resolution mechanics work in PoE - if it's simply 'trigger -> roll for defense', then it won't make a difference  whether you're moving or where you are.  If it's delayed and dependent on position in AOE, then you're right.  Been a few weeks since I played so can't remember clearly.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: