Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Request: Controller support

request

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What... i don't get why console gamers think this, you don't have to do all of that its automatic,  and fixing errors? what i never need to fix errors. 

they act like pc's are too complicated when children can use them.

I wonder if it's because they haven't gamed on a PC for a long time? I know that back in the mid nineties I had to go through an arcane procedure to get Mechwarrior 2 to work (it required DX5, but for some reason you had to install DX2 first), and before that there were games that came on multiple floppies and invariable failed to install at least once and often took quite a bit of fiddling to get to work properly.

But yeah, these days installing a game on a PC is a pretty painless process. That said, each to his own.

• ThatUndeadLegacy and Wormerine like this

ThatUndeadLegacy

ThatUndeadLegacy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What... i don't get why console gamers think this, you don't have to do all of that its automatic,  and fixing errors? what i never need to fix errors. 

they act like pc's are too complicated when children can use them.

I wonder if it's because they haven't gamed on a PC for a long time? I know that back in the mid nineties I had to go through an arcane procedure to get Mechwarrior 2 to work (it required DX5, but for some reason you had to install DX2 first), and before that there were games that came on multiple floppies and invariable failed to install at least once and often took quite a bit of fiddling to get to work properly.

But yeah, these days installing a game on a PC is a pretty painless process. That said, each to his own.

Even when i started gaming in the 2000's it was pretty streamline, now it's as easy as a console, if not easier since you don't have to pay membership fees. 

Gh0stsmatter

Gh0stsmatter

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

^ Well I don't wanna start a yes/no argument on that but I guess either I just have been extremely unlucky with pc's I owned or I just don't know how to manage care for a pc. My last gaming pc was in 2015. There's always compatibility issues for me and stuff that needs fixing, thus I banned pc gaming out of my life.

Like I said, it may just me being unlucky everytime or not caring enough for the pc, but I'd say that would make console gaming a better choice :p The whole which platform is better argument isn't for me though, I think both pc and consoles have compelling benefits to them.

Edited by Gh0stsmatter, 11 September 2017 - 04:07 AM.

ThatUndeadLegacy

ThatUndeadLegacy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

^ Well I don't wanna start a yes/no argument on that but I guess either I just have been extremely unlucky with pc's I owned or I just don't know how to manage care for a pc. My last gaming pc was in 2015. There's always compatibility issues for me and stuff that needs fixing, thus I banned pc gaming out of my life.

Like I said, it may just me being unlucky everytime or not caring enough for the pc, but I'd say that would make console gaming a better choice :p The whole which platform is better argument isn't for me though, I think both pc and consoles have compelling benefits to them.

i did have a problem with sims 3 the other day, but only because Ea is trash. 

• JerekKruger and Gh0stsmatter like this

Gh0stsmatter

Gh0stsmatter

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

^ That is something I can agree on :facepalm: 

• JerekKruger likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I would love controller support but highly doubt it will have any.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would support a controller who doesen't want to be plugged in to play a game as such :wowey:

ThatUndeadLegacy

ThatUndeadLegacy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Steam controller will probably work without support. 

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, it would detract from the production of the game, and since it is being made for PC only then there is no reason to waste resources that could go elsewhere, and using those two games to claim it wouldn't be issue overlooks the fact that those games are turn based combat while Deadfire is realtime with pause.  If and when a port is to be made for consoles is the time to look at controller support, before then it is unnecessary for a PC game.

Would it though? The work has essentially already been done with the Paradox port to consoles. I'm not a developer so I couldn't say for sure but I can't believe it would be a huge expense to take that work and adapt it for Deadfire. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure implementing from scratch is a lot of work, but it seems to me this work has now been done for the console release.

DOS is a great example, they didn't launch with controller support but after doing it for the console release they also put it into the EE. Frankly I'm not sure why Obsidian didn't do the same for their PC release. Does anyone know who did the port? Paradox had one of their developers do it, right?

Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Cynic of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Does anyone know who did the port? Paradox had one of their developers do it, right?

It was Paradox Arctic who did the port.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users