I would love controller support but highly doubt it will have any.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

No, it would detract from the production of the game, and since it is being made for PC only then there is no reason to waste resources that could go elsewhere, and using those two games to claim it wouldn't be issue overlooks the fact that those games are turn based combat while Deadfire is realtime with pause.  If and when a port is to be made for consoles is the time to look at controller support, before then it is unnecessary for a PC game.

Would it though? The work has essentially already been done with the Paradox port to consoles. I'm not a developer so I couldn't say for sure but I can't believe it would be a huge expense to take that work and adapt it for Deadfire. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure implementing from scratch is a lot of work, but it seems to me this work has now been done for the console release.

DOS is a great example, they didn't launch with controller support but after doing it for the console release they also put it into the EE. Frankly I'm not sure why Obsidian didn't do the same for their PC release. Does anyone know who did the port? Paradox had one of their developers do it, right?