PoE1 is out on PS4, which implies it has controller support. Could you guys add controller support to PoE2 (also PoE1 for PC would be nice)? As for those who will reply with ``It can't be done" or ``it can be done but would suck" I'd like to point out that controller support was implemented for Divinity: Original Sin and Torment: Tides of Numenera beautifully.

• Like 1

I think the big question would be, could controller support be added without it being something that would be part of expense of doing a port to console.  No real clue, to be honest.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

No, it would detract from the production of the game, and since it is being made for PC only then there is no reason to waste resources that could go elsewhere, and using those two games to claim it wouldn't be issue overlooks the fact that those games are turn based combat while Deadfire is realtime with pause.  If and when a port is to be made for consoles is the time to look at controller support, before then it is unnecessary for a PC game.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I think it would be nice to transfer PoE1 controller support to PC version and do the same with Deadfire once port is made. Assuming that console port is playable... and that there are enough people who would choose a controller for isometric PC RPG game when given a choice.

The thing is, unless PoE1 manages to somehow find a new way, a game like Pillars will probably require changes to the gameplay to make it playable with a controller, compromises which have led to the "consolisation" accusations on many games.  Hence why I would wait until they were actually porting the game to consoles before investing in controller compatibility, and why the games being first for PCs only is such a big deal for many.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I wouldn't hold my breath:

It's extremely rare that anyone brings up non-PC interface questions like, "How would this work on a tablet?" or "How would this work on a console?" and my answer is always, "I don't know or care."

If we develop a game that's intended to be cross-platform, I have no problem entertaining those questions, but Pillars and Deadfire are both being developed for Windows/Mac/Linux, and that's it. I am not willing to compromise any aspect of the game's design for the possibility that maybe someday someone will want to put it on another platform.

Source: Josh Sawyer, The Something Awful forums.

Are you considering bringing the pad controls to the PC version of PoE or is it an absolute No Go since the console version is not developed in house ?It would be awesome if you would !

The console version of PoE changed a bunch of UI elements to work with their control scheme.  We don’t plan to bring over any of the console version’s UIs or controller functionality.  For the PC versions of PoE, we have Steam controller support.

Source: Josh Sawyer, Frog Helms Fan Club (his Q&A tumblr)

Personally I don't care for playing such games using a controller, but for Deadfire I would leave the decision up to Obsidian (after they have delivered on their promise on a PC targeted game).

• Like 2

It took an entire team of a different company to work on the controller-based gameplay so I think it's pretty hard to implement it for Pillars 2. Maybe if they make a console version for the game later...

It basically needs a totally different UI. You can check gameplay videos for PS4, OP.

• Like 2

I wouldn't hold my breath:

It's extremely rare that anyone brings up non-PC interface questions like, "How would this work on a tablet?" or "How would this work on a console?" and my answer is always, "I don't know or care."

If we develop a game that's intended to be cross-platform, I have no problem entertaining those questions, but Pillars and Deadfire are both being developed for Windows/Mac/Linux, and that's it. I am not willing to compromise any aspect of the game's design for the possibility that maybe someday someone will want to put it on another platform.

Source: Josh Sawyer, The Something Awful forums.

Are you considering bringing the pad controls to the PC version of PoE or is it an absolute No Go since the console version is not developed in house ?It would be awesome if you would !

The console version of PoE changed a bunch of UI elements to work with their control scheme.  We don’t plan to bring over any of the console version’s UIs or controller functionality.  For the PC versions of PoE, we have Steam controller support.

Source: Josh Sawyer, Frog Helms Fan Club (his Q&A tumblr)

Personally I don't care for playing such games using a controller, but for Deadfire I would leave the decision up to Obsidian (after they have delivered on their promise on a PC targeted game).

Whelp! That's that then!

• Like 1

I really think at this point we shouldn't worry about new features. it's only going to extend the game's production cycle and cause delays. As someone else said, focus on the core mechanics of the game instead of making walking non-gendered PCs with controller support.

nowt

If controller support would equal a ps4 port... I know of some people who would gladly back that ;) ;)

Edit; Btw just decided I wanted to give a little 5$ support to PoE 2 regardless of porting but I can't select it on the fig page, am I not able or do I need to go somewhere else?

Edited by Gh0stsmatter

The steam controller works fine for pillars of eternity and will probably work for deadfire too, I highly recommend that you try it. :cat:

Yeah the steam controller is great and works on a lot of games, 

I think that you still need minor calibrations from devs for that. but its easy  1/2 at most work

I propose the development of mouse + WASD-style devices for consoles. This will make porting much easier :biggrin:

I am not a console player but aren't there M&K for consoles already? It's just if you want to couch game you don't really want to use those. And setting up a desk and a monitor to play on console... I suppose it might be cheaper than buying a PC but at this point you would do better buying a desktop.

I propose the development of mouse + WASD-style devices for consoles. This will make porting much easier :biggrin:

I am not a console player but aren't there M&K for consoles already? It's just if you want to couch game you don't really want to use those. And setting up a desk and a monitor to play on console... I suppose it might be cheaper than buying a PC but at this point you would do better buying a desktop.

For me the existance of gaming consoles is nonsensical unless they are handheld. You can spend the money you'd give to buy a console to buy stuff for your pc. I mean everyone has one already. With about 700 euros you can have a quite good pc. If you're going to give 300-400 to buy a console, why not upgrade your pc? Then you have a machine that does almost everything, it's customizable and is not supported by a single company. You can also connect it to your tv and play stuff at your living room since you "can't" do that on your desk. I know many people who do that with wireless keyboards and mice. You lay back, put the keyboard on your lap, mouse beside you... it's quite relaxing actually. Consoles serve a single purpose: playing games. Computers serve a multitude of purposes in addition to gaming and everyone has already one. But, that's just me I suppose.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

@Sedrefilos
I think that's a matter of perspective.The reason I game on console is because of exactly the reason you mentioned: it only serves one purpose; gaming. I did use to play on pc but I got tired of spending so much time fixing errors, getting the right drivers and stuff not being compatible with all games while all I wanted is to just play the game. I guess if you enjoy exploring the technical side of pc's it's fun to fix stuff but not for me.

Yeah we have mouse and keyboard support for PS4, but no :p

• Like 2

@Sedrefilos

I think that's a matter of perspective.The reason I game on console is because of exactly the reason you mentioned: it only serves one purpose; gaming. I did use to play on pc but I got tired of spending so much time fixing errors, getting the right drivers and stuff not being compatible with all games while all I wanted is to just play the game. I guess if you enjoy exploring the technical side of pc's it's fun to fix stuff but not for me.

Yeah we have mouse and keyboard support for PS4, but no :p

What... i don't get why console gamers think this, you don't have to do all of that its automatic,  and fixing errors? what i never need to fix errors. 

they act like pc's are too complicated when children can use them.

What... i don't get why console gamers think this, you don't have to do all of that its automatic,  and fixing errors? what i never need to fix errors. 

I wonder if it's because they haven't gamed on a PC for a long time? I know that back in the mid nineties I had to go through an arcane procedure to get Mechwarrior 2 to work (it required DX5, but for some reason you had to install DX2 first), and before that there were games that came on multiple floppies and invariable failed to install at least once and often took quite a bit of fiddling to get to work properly.

But yeah, these days installing a game on a PC is a pretty painless process. That said, each to his own.

• Like 2

I wonder if it's because they haven't gamed on a PC for a long time? I know that back in the mid nineties I had to go through an arcane procedure to get Mechwarrior 2 to work (it required DX5, but for some reason you had to install DX2 first), and before that there were games that came on multiple floppies and invariable failed to install at least once and often took quite a bit of fiddling to get to work properly.

But yeah, these days installing a game on a PC is a pretty painless process. That said, each to his own.

Even when i started gaming in the 2000's it was pretty streamline, now it's as easy as a console, if not easier since you don't have to pay membership fees. 

^ Well I don't wanna start a yes/no argument on that but I guess either I just have been extremely unlucky with pc's I owned or I just don't know how to manage care for a pc. My last gaming pc was in 2015. There's always compatibility issues for me and stuff that needs fixing, thus I banned pc gaming out of my life.

Like I said, it may just me being unlucky everytime or not caring enough for the pc, but I'd say that would make console gaming a better choice :p The whole which platform is better argument isn't for me though, I think both pc and consoles have compelling benefits to them.

Edited by Gh0stsmatter

^ Well I don't wanna start a yes/no argument on that but I guess either I just have been extremely unlucky with pc's I owned or I just don't know how to manage care for a pc. My last gaming pc was in 2015. There's always compatibility issues for me and stuff that needs fixing, thus I banned pc gaming out of my life.

Like I said, it may just me being unlucky everytime or not caring enough for the pc, but I'd say that would make console gaming a better choice :p The whole which platform is better argument isn't for me though, I think both pc and consoles have compelling benefits to them.

i did have a problem with sims 3 the other day, but only because Ea is trash. 

• Like 2