Best advice you could ever get for deadfire

Exactly algroth. I'd actually like to see a compromise between the way Pillars does things and the way older IE games did them. Have the majority of content be handled as in Pillars, but have a (very) few genuinely well hidden secrets for those who like that sort of thing.

• Like 6

It would be cool if they put some really weird impossible to know the first time stuff like in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. But I doubt it.

As I never played that and never will, could you describe it in short words inside a spoiler tag, please?

A lot of the story from From Software (Dark Souls I, III, and Bloodborne) is left to the imagination and interpretation of the player. Most of the past events are hinted at in item description, conversations, and far off places you can explore.

Note that Bloodborne is mature content and contains horrible things, follow the link at your own perils!

Prepare to Cry: Father Gascoigne is a good example of how Bloodborne tells its backstory story. It is about the first boss fight (Father Gascoigne), his daughter, and how tragic it all is… To get the full story as you play, one needs to explore, read descriptions, and keep an eye on what and how all those hints link.

Link is now fixed! ⍨

Edited by kierun

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

Exactly algroth. I'd actually like to see a compromise between the way Pillars does things and the way older IE games did them. Have the majority of content be handled as in Pillars, but have a (very) few genuinely well hidden secrets for those who like that sort of thing.

Yeah, I do hope for some genuine exploration in Deadfire.

That said, those hidden "Easter egg like" secrets work well depending on IP. I.E. games had a lot of D&D stuff to reference, and finding special NPC or adventure group or item is much more exciting to find for people familiar with the setting. I feel like PoE would need to build things up first before rewarding you with finding it. As a sequel Deadfire has a more space to manuver. Hidden encounter with Master from Below etc.

Yeah, I do hope for some genuine exploration in Deadfire.

That said, those hidden "Easter egg like" secrets work well depending on IP. I.E. games had a lot of D&D stuff to reference, and finding special NPC or adventure group or item is much more exciting to find for people familiar with the setting. I feel like PoE would need to build things up first before rewarding you with finding it. As a sequel Deadfire has a more space to manuver. Hidden encounter with Master from Below etc.

True, but the examples I pointed out regarding Torment aren't really Easter eggs either. Xachariah is an old companion of the NO, while the Good Incarnation's identity and the bronze sphere revolve entirely around him. They are all elements that involve the protagonist and allow us to learn more about his past and so on. I think these well-hidden secrets that don't just act as references would probably give the game more replayability value, as not only are you pushed to finding more content that you may have missed on a first run but your overall experience and interpretation might change drastically because of them.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It would be cool if they put some really weird impossible to know the first time stuff like in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. But I doubt it.

As I never played that and never will, could you describe it in short words inside a spoiler tag, please?

A lot of the story from From Software (Dark Souls I, III, and Bloodborne) is left to the imagination and interpretation of the player. Most of the past events are hinted at in item description, conversations, and far off places you can explore.

Note that Bloodborne is mature content and contains horrible things, follow the link at your own perils!

Prepare to Cry: Father Gascoigne is a good example of how Bloodborne tells its backstory story. It is about the first boss fight (Father Gascoigne), his daughter, and how tragic it all is… To get the full story as you play, one needs to explore, read descriptions, and keep an eye on what and how all those hints link.

Just a heads up, your link leads to the Tyranny DLC trailer. ;)

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Admittedly I am a little torn about it, as I like to explore everything when playing a game, taking my sweet time doing so, however it could be a good idea with genuinely different paths through the game. Maybe even paths that lock you out of other parts of the game (available for later playthroughs), like how it was done in Witcher 2.

To the thread itself, I agree with the OP. I have a bad habit of sometimes looking up stuff when struggling, and tend to regret it afterwards. Also agree it's best to wait a few patches before playing the game. Games usually aren't released in the best of states these days, I'm sad to observe.

If I recall correctly you could only really find out what to do with the human flesh armour at Rejiek's workshop if you thoroughly read his notes,

Which was the first thing I did after finding a human flesh armor :)

A game that is even more obscure with regards to its content is Planescape: Torment as well... I don't suspect many people will have ever met Xachariah through their playthrough, and probably over half will have never found out of the Good Incarnation's real identity, or what the bronze sphere really is. Heck, it's entirely possible to miss out on three companions throughout the game, either because the means of acquiring them is so complicated or because they are located in places that most players will hardly look (e.g. the Modron Maze or the exit of the Curst prison). In comparison Pillars is much more straightforward and key characters and so on are even indicated on the map, it's nearly impossible to miss out on any critical content like the ways you can in Torment. I wouldn't mind an obscurer approach to Deadfire either.

Yeah, I still remember my first playthrough. After visiting the smoldering corps all I did was stumbling around the game, trying to find a way to get that guy out of there. I didn't even know, that he was a companion. Now that I talk about it... I forgot how to do it and if it was easy or not... Should play that game again.

is a good example of how Bloodborne tells its backstory story. It is about the first boss fight (Father Gascoigne), his daughter, and how tragic it all is… To get the full story as you play, one needs to explore, read descriptions, and keep an eye on what and how all those hints link.

As someone already said, that is the Tyranny Expansion Trailer. Which I already saw :)

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

Just a heads up, your link leads to the Tyranny DLC trailer. ;)

I shall go to the corner and wear a dunce hat. ☹ Thank you for pointing it out.

Prepare to Cry: Father Gascoigne  (correct link)

• Like 1

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

If the OP is right (and I think he is), then I am doomed because I will be a beta tester ;)

I am a completeonist. When I play a game for the first time, I try look into every corner and try to find out everything myself. Usually I miss a lot of things. If the game is so good that I want to play it again, I look into a guide and the second time I try to find absolutely everything.

One of the few games I finished more often was arcanum. The first time I just finished it without help and missed tons of things. The second time I looked into a guide and tried to solve every quest in the best possible way. I was a little bit sad that not all of my results were mentioned in the ending slides. For the third time I used an orc with low int and chose the evil path and tried to get the worst ending for all quests. Low int lets you miss several quests, but the funny dialogues where absolutely great.

• Like 1