Best advice you could ever get for deadfire

When I play deadfire I am going to try as hard as I can to not revert to this forum or the internet for spoilers, hints and tips.

Even small hints and tips from the net greatly reduces the fun factor in the game.

Trust me, figure stuff out yourself. You will get so much more out of the game.

Edited by firkraag888

I think a good sign of how engaged I am with a game is how easy it is for me to look up spoilers or hints.

Marginal games that I kind of like I'll probably be more inclined to look up a spoiler to quickly keep moving than a game I really like.

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I looked up tips for bg2. It just took me a lot longer to get to that point of desperation than if I had only thought the game was 'ok'.

Had to do the same on the end of BG1 too... which I gather was a rarity. Funnily enough I did IWD and PST without hints (thus didn't get the best end on PST)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was expecting git gud casual for some reason…

• Like 1

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

My suggestion is to always wait for the third patch update before playing a game. You'll enjoy it a lot more without a ton of immersion-breaking bugs.

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A very good advice, as I was about to play the game in window mode alongside a window of this forum.

Seriously, I don't think I'm coming back to the forums before I finish the game and I'll probabaly dissapear after I leave my review/feedback until an expansion or sequel is announced.

Who bothers with forums when playing a game anyway?

• Like 4

If you could finish bg2 without looking up tips you deserved a Medal of Honor.

It's not really a hard game to finish. Maybe complete every quest of and exhaust every detail and event is harder, but the essential content to the main storyline is pretty simple and straight-forward.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It's not really a hard game to finish. Maybe complete every quest of and exhaust every detail and event is harder, but the essential content to the main storyline is pretty simple and straight-forward.

Not really. There is stuff you can miss, but most of the questgivers run up to you. Difficulty wise it is not a tough game and you and cheese harder fights. There is just a lot of content to go through.

Not really. There is stuff you can miss, but most of the questgivers run up to you. Difficulty wise it is not a tough game and you and cheese harder fights. There is just a lot of content to go through.

Or they do onscreen dialogue when you pass by, and they aren't merchants hawking wares or nameless NPCs, which is a common cue used in PoE.

Well, that's what I meant. There's little details here and there as well as certain encounters like parties on the upper floor of random inns that might be missed on a first playthrough. I know for one that I still find the occasional new detail even after all these years. For most quests and so on, yes, it's hard to miss them.

There are a few things in Baldur's Gate 2 that would be hard to catch even if you are an exploring completionist. The high level slaver encounter is one, as it's the twisted rune. Compared to modern games, BG2 simply didn't give anywhere near as many or as obvious clues to these things.

• Like 1

There are a few things in Baldur's Gate 2 that would be hard to catch even if you are an exploring completionist. The high level slaver encounter is one, as it's the twisted rune. Compared to modern games, BG2 simply didn't give anywhere near as many or as obvious clues to these things.

Which was a good thing. I never looked anything up. Didn't even know how and where. So I found out everything by my self. At the beginning in every playthrough I found something new.

---

We're all doomed

Which was a good thing. I never looked anything up. Didn't even know how and where. So I found out everything by my self. At the beginning in every playthrough I found something new.

Agreed. I remember stumbling on the high level slaver's door for the first time. It felt pretty cool to discover. I never discovered Twisted Rune by myself though. That required the help of dsimpson.

In modern RPGs, all too often the big secrets are way to clearly sign posted. I guess if you don't read all the lore in the game you might miss them, but for me they're obvious. I wouldn't mind a few genuinely hard to find secrets in Deadfire.

• Like 3

It would be cool if they put some really weird impossible to know the first time stuff like in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. But I doubt it.

As I never played that and never will, could you describe it in short words inside a spoiler tag, please?

---

We're all doomed

Agreed. I remember stumbling on the high level slaver's door for the first time. It felt pretty cool to discover. I never discovered Twisted Rune by myself though. That required the help of dsimpson.

In modern RPGs, all too often the big secrets are way to clearly sign posted. I guess if you don't read all the lore in the game you might miss them, but for me they're obvious. I wouldn't mind a few genuinely hard to find secrets in Deadfire.

Yeah, same. If I recall correctly you could only really find out what to do with the human flesh armour at Rejiek's workshop if you thoroughly read his notes, a thing which I suspect many players don't dedicate the greatest time to. In Pillars' case on the other hand, just clicking and opening a note will immediately update your journal with any relevant quest-related info, thus putting on display whatever 'secrets' may be contained within.

A game that is even more obscure with regards to its content is Planescape: Torment as well... I don't suspect many people will have ever met Xachariah through their playthrough, and probably over half will have never found out of the Good Incarnation's real identity, or what the bronze sphere really is. Heck, it's entirely possible to miss out on three companions throughout the game, either because the means of acquiring them is so complicated or because they are located in places that most players will hardly look (e.g. the Modron Maze or the exit of the Curst prison). In comparison Pillars is much more straightforward and key characters and so on are even indicated on the map, it's nearly impossible to miss out on any critical content like the ways you can in Torment. I wouldn't mind an obscurer approach to Deadfire either.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 4