it's a barbarian but i show the class at the end of the vid. :p

Barbarians can solo? I thought they were fragile?!

They are basically the opposite of fragile because they have insane hp (5x endurance).

Early game nobody has huge defenses, so the barb isn't even less of a "tank" than other classes.

Ofc that changes quickly and the barb is never actually a tank (he just compares well with other tanks early game) but at level 5 you get One stands alone and your almost one of the best soloclasses immediately and at level 11 you get Heart of Fury and all of a sudden the chanters 1st place at best solo looks kinda shaky.

• Like 1

Actually they have endurance times 6 as health. Monks have x5.

In the early gane you can't feel it because their deflection is very low and the difference to other classes is not that big (in flat numbers). But wirh every level the difference in endurance and esp. health increases until they are meat shields.

Same with his Carnage: He has an accuracy malus of -10 to carnage, meaning his carnage attacks have 10 less accuracy than the main attack. But carnage is an ability and all abilites get +1 accuracy per level. So at a certain point you hit better with carnage than with your main attack. And it's level 10 obviously. If you take Accurate Carnage (talent) it's lvl 5.

So, if you manage to beat the early game with a solo barb it gets a lot easier.

HoF is truly nice - but it's still not a supergreat solo class. Not compared to casters. Of course it's a great solo class if you hate resting - like the chanter. ;)

By the way: solo barb with Blood Thirst + St. Ydwen's Redeemer against groups of vessels = pure fun!

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

it's a barbarian but i show the class at the end of the vid. :p

Barbarians can solo? I thought they were fragile?!

They are basically the opposite of fragile because they have insane hp (5x endurance).

Early game nobody has huge defenses, so the barb isn't even less of a "tank" than other classes.

Ofc that changes quickly and the barb is never actually a tank (he just compares well with other tanks early game) but at level 5 you get One stands alone and your almost one of the best soloclasses immediately and at level 11 you get Heart of Fury and all of a sudden the chanters 1st place at best solo looks kinda shaky.

Damn, you are really tempting me to switch Gimli from a DPS Fighter to a Barbarian. I have to restart to change classes, right? :(

Why don't you just hire a new Gimli in a tavern? If you're not too high a level it shouldn't be too bad with the XP loss.

Or is Gimli your MC?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Actually they have endurance times 6 as health. Monks have x5.

In the early gane you can't feel it because their deflection is very low and the difference to other classes is not that big (in flat numbers). But wirh every level the difference in endurance and esp. health increases until they are meat shields.

Same with his Carnage: He has an accuracy malus of -10 to carnage, meaning his carnage attacks have 10 less accuracy than the main attack. But carnage is an ability and all abilites get +1 accuracy per level. So at a certain point you hit better with carnage than with your main attack. And it's level 10 obviously. If you take Accurate Carnage (talent) it's lvl 5.

So, if you manage to beat the early game with a solo barb it gets a lot easier.

HoF is truly nice - but it's still not a supergreat solo class. Not compared to casters. Of course it's a great solo class if you hate resting - like the chanter. ;)

By the way: solo barb with Blood Thirst + St. Ydwen's Redeemer against groups of vessels = pure fun!

Sigh. Gimli cannot have a sword. Maybe I have to restart a Forgotten Realms group instead of a Lord of the Rings group and make a Wulfgar the Barbarian! ;)

• Like 2

Why don't you just hire a new Gimli in a tavern? If you're not too high a level it shouldn't be too bad with the XP loss.

Or is Gimli your MC?

My main is level 6; and the rest are very close to level 5. If I hire a new Gimli, then he will be level 1, right? I think that's too much to catch up.

Or is Gimli your MC?

My main is level 6; and the rest are very close to level 5. If I hire a new Gimli, then he will be level 1, right? I think that's too much to catch up.

No, you can hire an adventurer at MC-lvl minus 1. So he would be lvl 5. Costs more money though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

It's more for solo. THere you can't stick to one weapon anyway.

Barb with hammers, maces or axes are fine.

Oh, so DPS Barbarians are not as good as DPS Fighters in a group context?

I am also tempted to switch out the Wizard for the Cipher. Mind affecting spells are driving me nuts.

Or is Gimli your MC?

No, you can hire an adventurer at MC-lvl minus 1. So he would be lvl 5. Costs more money though.

Ah, ok; that's far more tempting...

It's more for solo. THere you can't stick to one weapon anyway.

Barb with hammers, maces or axes are fine.

Oh, so DPS Barbarians are not as good as DPS Fighters in a group context?

I am also tempted to switch out the Wizard for the Cipher. Mind affecting spells are driving me nuts.

Pretty sure he meant the weapon choice, barbarians are awesome in a group. :p

• Like 1

But guys, how do they compare to a DPS Fighter in terms of overall group benefit? Do they do more damage? Are they more survivable? What other major pluses and minuses are involved here when comparing the two?

Try this with a fighter:

• Like 2

They do more damage and can possibly also cause disabling effects in an AoE with their autoattacks (carnage) because things like stunning translate to carnage.

In my opinion they are a lot better overall than fighters - in most ways. Just in the early game the fighter is clearly better.

• Like 2

But guys, how do they compare to a DPS Fighter in terms of overall group benefit? Do they do more damage? Are they more survivable? What other major pluses and minuses are involved here when comparing the two?

Try this with a fighter:

In the end it's Vengeful Defeat + Second Chance (on Argwe's Adra armor) that saves the day. ;)

All right, guys. I am sold then.

I will do a dual wield Barbarian and a Pike Paladin (main character). Since all of my companions are almost level 5, I will lose an almost entire level on the Barbarian though. That is going to suck.

No, if your MC is lvl 6 you can hire adventuerers of lvl 5. They will be actually higher of level than your actual hirelings. :)

• Like 1

All right, guys. I am sold then.

I will do a dual wield Barbarian and a Pike Paladin (main character). Since all of my companions are almost level 5, I will lose an almost entire level on the Barbarian though. That is going to suck.

No, if your MC is lvl 6 you can hire adventuerers of lvl 5. They will be actually higher of level than your actual hirelings. :)

Oops. I mis-spoke. I meant my main is level 6, and the companions are almost level 6. So I will get "fresh" level 5s - which means I will lose progress.

I would recommend a pike barb and a paladin with Outworn Buckler. :) Barbs and reach weapons go well together.

I thought Barbarians are good interrupters so they need to dual wield? Or at least one of the other threads on the interrupt war hammers led me to believe that.

What benefit do Barbarians get from reach weapons?

It honestly depends on your level.

If you're level 11 and have HoF dual wielding is a must, before that Tall Grass is quite good as it also keeps you safe from aggro and the high base damage mattersa lot if you are low level and enemies have relatively high resistances.

If you really want to interrupt then dual wielding Mosquito and Shatterstar is really good, but keep in mind that interrupt gets more viable the higher your level.

• Like 1