What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

The first few hours of Elex really kicked my ass. I was dying left and right, until I remembered how to play a Piranha Bytes game: run away and exact revenge later. So I've been dodging scary creatures and solving quests (I also forgot that in PB games, quests have a fail state!) and after a while it clicked. Suddenly I was able to take down a raptor.. then a bunch of raptors.. then Albs.. and so on. Not without struggles (I still die from time to time) but I'm getting there. It's sooo satisfying when you notice your character getting stronger. I'm a melee fighter using mainly swords and thinking about joining the assho.. uh outlaws.

Yeah, it's rough and unforgiving and difficult and I wouldn't want it any other way.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

^I kited a group of mutants that I needed to kill for one quest into a group of outlaws that I needed to kill for another quest. Mutants won so I kited them into town where the guards killed them for me.

I never even drew a weapon. :p

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 4

OMG now I will have to buy that freaking Elex 

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

PS4 doesn't seem to be trying too hard to keep me as a customer.  At a time when the new XBox X is set to be released, the only console that's on sale is the XBox S.  PS4 (and primarily PS4 Pro) are still at full price.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

PS4 doesn't seem to be trying too hard to keep me as a customer.  At a time when the new XBox X is set to be released, the only console that's on sale is the XBox S.  PS4 (and primarily PS4 Pro) are still at full price.

I'm really surprised they haven't slashed the price yet.  Maybe they're waiting to get closer to X-Mas?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm really surprised they haven't slashed the price yet.  Maybe they're waiting to get closer to X-Mas?

You'd think it makes more sense to do it right around the release of the XBox X since it would be kind of like, "why buy that new, $550 console when you can buy this impressive PS4 Pro for half that!".  If they wait until Christmas (or Boxing Day sales), they'll have stiff competition from XBox also similarly lowering prices.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Just had a stickybeak and I see I can get the PS4P for $469AUD ($366USD) and the XB1X for $549AUD ($429USD). Seems fair enough for both, though I'm in the market for neither. (And granted the Xbone price is a MS store exclusive offer for Amex holders).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

You'd think it makes more sense to do it right around the release of the XBox X since it would be kind of like, "why buy that new, $550 console when you can buy this impressive PS4 Pro for half that!".  If they wait until Christmas (or Boxing Day sales), they'll have stiff competition from XBox also similarly lowering prices.

True. I've been a Sony fan since 2009 but they are slowly starting to wear out their welcome. 

-not allowing the PS Vita to work with the regular SD cards

-tieng PS Vita to 1 account

-abandoning the PS Vita

-no backwards compatibility whatsoever on the PS4 

-PS Plus getting more expensive

-PS Plus giving users a whole lot less bang for their buck compared to the PS3 era

-PS TV

-PS Now

-no true 4K support for most titles

-no support for 1080 @60fps gaming

The only upper hand that they have right now are exclusives. Xbox on the other hand is introducing backwards compatibility for old Xbox titles I could never get my hands on elsewhere: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-original-xbox-star-wars-kotor-downloadable-ahead-of-back-compat-launch

That is pretty impressive. I was going to upgrade my PS4 to a PS4 Pro but nope, I could buy an Xbox One X for a little more. 

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Cities Skylines with the new green expansion. Chose a terrible map sadly, the starting square is bisected by a giant river, heh. Do wonder at some of the building ideas, for one a floating garbage facility ? Doesn't seem like that wise an idea.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't care one bit about 4k at the moment, as I don't have a 4k monitor, nor do I intend to get one for at least a year or two. What I do care about is 60 FPS, even if it's at 900p or even 720p. Give me smooth frame rate, that's my top priority.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Started to play Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for the first time. After the 1st mission I have somewhat mixed feelings about the game. I somehow do not like the combat system. We'll see how it goes in next cahpters and missions.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Secret of Mana (SNES). First time playing it. It's surprisingly...uh, not that great. I've been playing it co-op with a friend online, and the hit detection system is really annoying and just makes so playing with multiple players is ineffective. I think they were trying to avoid being able to stunlock enemies, but really, that was already mostly dealt with by the stamina system - they could've just made it so that only 100% stamina attacks stun enemies, or made stuns only occur over a threshold of damage as a percent of the enemy's life, or something. And the story is...well, it leaves a lot to be desired. As far as SNES JRPGs go, I currently massively prefer Terranigma.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Linux port of >observer_ released today, so I purchased and am downloading that.  I was interested in the game the instant it was announced because of the interesting premise and because the devs' previous game, Layers of Fear, while flawed in some ways, was still quite interesting.  More important than either of those reasons, though, is the fact that you play as Rutger Hauer (the character isn't actually named Rutger Hauer, but it's Rutger Hauer in every other sense).  I watched the first episode of Jesse Cox's Let's Play of the game, decided that yup this was a game I definitely wanted to play myself, stopped watching the Let's Play, and waited patiently for the Linux port, which is now here.

Did I mention that you play as Rutger Hauer?  Because you totally play as Rutger Hauer.  :dancing:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Bioshock: Infinite. First time ever playing it. I got to Elizabeth, quit and uninstalled. I wasn't too keen on the game to begin with, but it managed to kill any interest I had in a little over an hour. Really wonky and, quite frankly, boring combat, beyond hopelessly (and totally unnecessarily) cluttered level design that kills my desire to ever explore areas (...not that there seemed much of interest to explore to begin with), and the story and dialogue were really not pulling me in. About the only thing it had going for it was the aesthetic. Meh.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

boring combat

Yup. BioShock: Infinite has the worst gameplay in my opinion. The guns handle better compared to BioShock 1 & 2 but the level design is so awful you barely get to use the environment against the enemy. The second DLC was pretty good though. Gameplay is solely based on stealth and survival and the story is good if you are willing to go through the mind-numbing story of the main campaign and the first DLC.

Overall BioShock 2 was the most entertaining game in the series for me and ironically, it is the only BioShock game that Ken Levine didn't work on(directly).

Anybody remembers this?

Here are all the changes explained in more detail:

There is also a video interview of Ken Levine explaining BioShock for the first time and making ludicrous promises such as the main character being able to change the size of his sexual organ...couldn't find it on YouTube though. Being restricted to consoles? Not enough budget? Only Ken knows!

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Witcher 2 Update:

Had sex with Triss in an ancient (so definitely not up to code) Elven Bathhouse and then had sex with a Succubus in her groundhog hole of a home. Sex with Iorveth still pending.

See ya next week.

Edited by EbonyBetty
  • Like 1

boring combat

Yup. BioShock: Infinite has the worst gameplay in my opinion. The guns handle better compared to BioShock 1 & 2 but the level design is so awful you barely get to use the environment against the enemy. The second DLC was pretty good though. Gameplay is solely based on stealth and survival and the story is good if you are willing to go through the mind-numbing story of the main campaign and the first DLC.

Overall BioShock 2 was the most entertaining game in the series for me and ironically, it is the only BioShock game that Ken Levine didn't work on(directly).

Anybody remembers this?

Here are all the changes explained in more detail:

There is also a video interview of Ken Levine explaining BioShock for the first time and making ludicrous promises such as the main character being able to change the size of his sexual organ...couldn't find it on YouTube though. Being restricted to consoles? Not enough budget? Only Ken knows!

The combat just feels so...undynamic. I'm just running and gunning through every level all the time, and it doesn't help that the guns that I used just don't have any weight to them. Wielding an automatic machine gun should feel different than a pistol...but it doesn't. The only thing that feels different is how fast the bullets are coming out. It's also not very hard, which is a little perplexing when there's an endless fountain of resources spread around throughout every level...and then you also have tonics and your quite strong melee attack on top of it. It all just feels so dissatisfying, easy, and repetitive. And that's not even talking about the story, which seemed like a bit of a load on top of it. Bah. It makes me wonder if I would enjoy playing BS1/BS2 today, or if my tastes in shooters have actually changed that much since I played those.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I wish I could make proper slums in Cities Skylines, at least visually. Also regret that 250 k pop makes my CPU redline (ok I am dumb for using stock cooling as well).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Right now, about 15-20 hours into a playthrough of Stardew Valley on the switch which is the perfect platform for this game.  I think I'm about 1 week into Fall and just having fun.  Nice game to chill for a "day or two" at a time at night.  Like the switches that seasons bring and the new crops.

Playing Grim Dawn with the expansion and just love this game.  Enjoyed my time with Diablo 3 enough, also with Path of Exile, but Grim Dawn is my jam when it comes to ARPGs.

Waiting on Assassin's Creed: Origins (PC) Really hoping this game is everything, or mostly everything it's cracked up to be.  Really enjoyed Black Flag and hoping the extra year of development helped the team to create a good game.  Also, love the time period and location.

Also waiting on Super Mario Odyssey.  For this game and AC:O, I've tried to keep away from any gameplay or info about the games, wanting to go in blind and very excited for these titles.

Constantly looking at Elex, but gonna wait till later in the year or after the holidays hoping to hear about any possible patches.  Would like to pick it up on the PS4 for something to play on that system, but want to see how patching goes.  If not the best, then I'll pick it up for the PC in hopes of a community patch as there appears to be some things either not working or improperly described in the UI, like attribute points and what they actually attribute to.

Secret of Mana (SNES). First time playing it. It's surprisingly...uh, not that great. I've been playing it co-op with a friend online, and the hit detection system is really annoying and just makes so playing with multiple players is ineffective. I think they were trying to avoid being able to stunlock enemies, but really, that was already mostly dealt with by the stamina system - they could've just made it so that only 100% stamina attacks stun enemies, or made stuns only occur over a threshold of damage as a percent of the enemy's life, or something. And the story is...well, it leaves a lot to be desired. As far as SNES JRPGs go, I currently massively prefer Terranigma.

Terranigma was the epitome of (action) JRPGs on the SNES. It certainly is better than Secret of Mana in pretty much every aspect, but it never got an official North American release... in terms of atmosphere and storytelling I'd rate Illusion of Gaia/Time also a bit higher than Secret of Mana, but that might be just me.

Well it should also be mentioned that the various translations and releases vary a bit and the adaptational botching is apparently pretty strong in SoM. It has a special place in my gaming history as a sequel to Final Fantasy Adventure (aka Mystic Quest) which is pretty much one of my favorite games ever.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Terranigma was the epitome of (action) JRPGs on the SNES. It certainly is better than Secret of Mana in pretty much every aspect, but it never got an official North American release... in terms of atmosphere and storytelling I'd rate Illusion of Gaia/Time also a bit higher than Secret of Mana, but that might be just me.

Well it should also be mentioned that the various translations and releases vary a bit and the adaptational botching is apparently pretty strong in SoM. It has a special place in my gaming history as a sequel to Final Fantasy Adventure (aka Mystic Quest) which is pretty much one of my favorite games ever.

THANK YOU sooooo much! i have been trying to remember the name Illusion of Gaia for sooo mnay years! ty ty ty ty.   that was one of those flawed classics but had great tone and atmosphere.

Had to leave work early today to get my son sick from school who seems to be doing well.  my friend told me shadowrun chronicles was on clearance and got me and my homie a couple for 14 bucks so downloading and gonna try and see how well it goes and hopefully that his pc will run it.  we both love shadowrun and hes really into co op games so hopefully me and him get to kick ass as a decker/rigger combo.