What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

Played some more Shadow Warrior 2 and while it is indeed evident that it uses procedural generation, the mini-map does a fine job of not letting you get lost. But I'll be damned, the shooting is still every bit as fun as the first game and the weapons have been pretty fun to shoot so far.

Dying Light is a great game that I never finished. Looks like after SR2 I'll take a break from Saint's Row and finish Dying Light.

I had the same experience. I was having the time of my life with the game when all of a sudden it decided to crash on me while I was trying to capture a scene and it corrupted half of the files on my PS4...including my beloved P.T demo. :(

Holy ****ing hell! That sucks so damn bad about P.T. :( I still have it on my hard drive, if I knew a way to copy it I'd send ya it.

Time to get Elex. When it's on sale

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I still have it on my hard drive, if I knew a way to copy it I'd send ya it.

You might be able to copy to an external. There also used to be some trick with routers to download.

But yeah, that sucks to lose it. Still can't believe Konami had it removed.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ELEX is fun. I was always a believer. Piranha Bytes back in style.

What about bugs, controls and animations? Those are the worry points for me. :p

I have only played for 3 hours. Haven't experienced any bugs. Animations are PB style all over. Controls work well enough.

Exploration is good. The jetpack is a cool addition. It's actually useful when exploring. I've been to some places that I am not supposed to, that meant death. You can expect to die a lot if you explore the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been murdered by a human, some abominations, some other abominations, raptors and something more that I can't remember. ELEX is a better game than Risen 2 already. (I have R3 on Steam unplayed.) Combat will take some time to get used to, but then again, I hated the combat in Risen 1 for the first 4-5 hours, and I really ended up enjoying that.

I bought this for £22 and so far, it has been worth every penny, to be honest. There are factions and all that, but I don't know how much C&C there is in the game. What maters is that I am actually having fun and prefer this over Risen 2 by a large margin and I didn't even hate that.

• Like 1

I still have it on my hard drive, if I knew a way to copy it I'd send ya it.

You might be able to copy to an external. There also used to be some trick with routers to download.

But yeah, that sucks to lose it. Still can't believe Konami had it removed.

My bad, yeah I have it on an external hard drive. Only problem I can think of is that it's connected to my account.

Also more saints row 2 today. Spent most of the day exploring and walking around and doing gang wars and stealing and collecting cars for my garage. Bought the loft by the college and fixed it up to look nice as hell :) there are so many huge areas like an underground cavern exhibit for the public. Tagged a few places down there and then rid the place of the homeless.

This is a really good game and I don't even like GTA games (cept vice city). It has actually aged quite nicely too except for Gatt's face lmao. Glad to see humor is still in but like y'all said, darker. Just did a mission for shaundi with a guy tripping and dropping an armed bomb at my feet and the woman I saved....was not expecting that at all LMFAO.

Edited by redneckdevil

I had the game pre ordered but I saw reviews anyways. One thing that concerns me and that maybe you can clear; is it true that the initial "hump"  in difficulty that its common in Piranha games, stretches longer in this game due to its open world nature?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What about bugs, controls and animations? Those are the worry points for me. :p

I have only played for 3 hours. Haven't experienced any bugs. Animations are PB style all over. Controls work well enough.

Exploration is good. The jetpack is a cool addition. It's actually useful when exploring. I've been to some places that I am not supposed to, that meant death. You can expect to die a lot if you explore the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been murdered by a human, some abominations, some other abominations, raptors and something more that I can't remember. ELEX is a better game than Risen 2 already. (I have R3 on Steam unplayed.) Combat will take some time to get used to, but then again, I hated the combat in Risen 1 for the first 4-5 hours, and I really ended up enjoying that.

I bought this for £22 and so far, it has been worth every penny, to be honest. There are factions and all that, but I don't know how much C&C there is in the game. What maters is that I am actually having fun and prefer this over Risen 2 by a large margin and I didn't even hate that.

Also, are you playing on the PC or PS4?  Sorry if you mentioned it already.

I imagine Elex is like the other Piranha Bytes games, rough and crusty on the outside, but with a rich and tasty interior.  Pretty much the polar opposite of a Bethesda game, which is sweet on the outside (so long as you don't look at the character models) and hollow on the inside.  Pity I currently don't have a system to play it on, but I do intend to get a PS4 Pro eventually and I fully intend to get it then.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dying Light is the game Dead Island should have been. I think it benefits greatly from a focus on movement, rather than combat. The QTE final boss fight is the game's biggest blemish. Overall, I loved it.

I didn't like the first boss fight (err... end of first half fight?).  I can't recall the specifics, but I remember being annoyed by it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Played some more Shadow Warrior 2 and while it is indeed evident that it uses procedural generation, the mini-map does a fine job of not letting you get lost. But I'll be damned, the shooting is still every bit as fun as the first game and the weapons have been pretty fun to shoot so far.

Dying Light is a great game that I never finished. Looks like after SR2 I'll take a break from Saint's Row and finish Dying Light.

I had the same experience. I was having the time of my life with the game when all of a sudden it decided to crash on me while I was trying to capture a scene and it corrupted half of the files on my PS4...including my beloved P.T demo. :(

Holy ****ing hell! That sucks so damn bad about P.T. :( I still have it on my hard drive, if I knew a way to copy it I'd send ya it.

Thanks. :)  Nah, just make sure to get an external HDD and save your P.T demo on it. That's one way of making sure it won't get lost I guess.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I wonder how (awesome) the game would be with a mod that made all zombies into Virals? I'm thinking 28 Days Later: The Game.

I played the game with 3 friends and it gets a little arcadey like that- but even then, I would have a heart attack from stress, if all zombies were virals.. jeez, I get a sweat just thinking about it hah

Yep, they can get my heart racing like very few other games. First time I ran into one I was like "what's all that racket?", and then "wow, that one can really run, good thing I'm up here..." and finally, "holy ****, she can climb?"

Pretty great. And I'm not even into zombie games, heh.

Better. It's a perfect 5/7.

(A bit consolised in the UI, my ancient 5770 could probably have handled the graphics, the narrator sounds like he was dragged in off the street and told to do a US accent, and the main character doesn't sound much better. So far it's very much G1/2 or Risen 1 in the things that actually matter though. As well as in the voice acting department. I'm pretty much sure already I'll get my money's worth, albeit for some reason it only cost 35usd here so effectively started 30% off)

Well, I haven't played either Gothic or Risen so that tells me very little. With all the praise from peeps here I'll be sure to check it out... when the obligatory GOTY edition drops.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I had the game pre ordered but I saw reviews anyways. One thing that concerns me and that maybe you can clear; is it true that the initial "hump"  in difficulty that its common in Piranha games, stretches longer in this game due to its open world nature?

Don't know if anyone could have played long enough to answer that definitively. It's so similar* to Risen 1/ Gothic 1/2 that i'd suspect the difficulty curve must be similar as well. Then again they were all open world games as well, so it was ridiculously easy to go from fighting hungry wolves to blundering into a shadowbeast in any of them at which point you would get butchered.

Apart from getting killed by the first turkey the only other time I've died was missing a platform and falling after discharging my jetpack. That's my only minor complaint so far, the jetpack flight has a tendency to get stuck on the geometry on occasion, though I'll probably get used to it.

*Seriously, right down to meeting 'Diego' and him running you off to the 'old camp' helpfully slaughtering all the pesky wildlife (from the previous games) on the way.  I haven't met any snappers yet, but if I don't soon I promise to literally eat my keyboard.

• Like 1

I wonder how (awesome) the game would be with a mod that made all zombies into Virals? I'm thinking 28 Days Later: The Game.

I played the game with 3 friends and it gets a little arcadey like that- but even then, I would have a heart attack from stress, if all zombies were virals.. jeez, I get a sweat just thinking about it hah

Yep, they can get my heart racing like very few other games. First time I ran into one I was like "what's all that racket?", and then "wow, that one can really run, good thing I'm up here..." and finally, "holy ****, she can climb?"

Pretty great. And I'm not even into zombie games, heh.

(A bit consolised in the UI, my ancient 5770 could probably have handled the graphics, the narrator sounds like he was dragged in off the street and told to do a US accent, and the main character doesn't sound much better. So far it's very much G1/2 or Risen 1 in the things that actually matter though. As well as in the voice acting department. I'm pretty much sure already I'll get my money's worth, albeit for some reason it only cost 35usd here so effectively started 30% off)

Well, I haven't played either Gothic or Risen so that tells me very little. With all the praise from peeps here I'll be sure to check it out... when the obligatory GOTY edition drops.

Parana Bytes hasn't made an expansion or any kind of DLC since Gothic 3 (2006). I highly doubt there will be a GOTY edition, but I wouldn't blame a newcomer to the Parana Bytes' particular brand of Eurojank for waiting for a sale.

PB did dlc for Risen 2 and 3, at the behest of the publisher. There was an extra island for R3 and two (?) temples for Risen 2. But yeah, very little chance of a GOTY as Nordic aren't making them do paid dlc for Elex.

Gothic type games are pretty difficult to explain if you haven't played them. Maybe Dark Souls crossed with Fallout New Vegas crossed with Morrowwind? They're difficult without generally being unfair, you'll get slaughtered if you blunder into the wrong place, the story is goodish (not as much as FONV, but that's a high bar) and a lot of pleasure is got from the exploration of an interesting mostly open world. There's also a fair amount of lovable jankiness about them, they're flawed but it's made up for by their virtues.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

The simplest way for me to describe a Piranha Bytes game is this:  Imagine a Bethesda game made with 1/10th the budget and 10x the heart.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's an european RPG. Americans usually don't like them. If you like Obsidian RPGs, though, there is a good chance you'd like Gothic / Risen as well.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

One of the European/German hidden gems I keep hearing about is Darklands. I bought it during a steam sale and I might give it shot one of these days.

If you like Obsidian RPGs, though, there is a good chance you'd like Gothic / Risen as well.

I agree. The little time I spent playing Drakensang and Gothic 1 felt very deep and rewarding.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Parana Bytes and their Gothic/Risen/Elex games are the inverse of From Software’s Dark Souls/Demon Souls/Bloodborne games. Both style of games are crazy hard and refuse to hold the player’s hand. Souls games lean heavily on player skill and as a result the character becomes a reflection of the player’s confidence, skill, and stupidity. Parana Bytes games are the opposite. Player skill can help, but character skill is king and your playing style becomes a reflection of the character: the character start out weak and at the bottom of the barrel and if the player is smart he/she starts out kissing all the NPC’s butts (so they don’t get angry and kill you out of hand), using cheese tactics (so you don’t die), and generally running away like a coward (so you don’t die like a little punk). 

• Like 3

I wouldn't call Gothic / Risen extremely hard at all. You just have to return to where you came from once you stumble over an area with too strong enemies. Usually at such a point in the game you don't have to be in the area anyway. Gothic 2 with the Night of the Raven addon was quite hard, because it required somewhat meta knowledge of the game, so that you don't waste any skill points. Still, if you do it in the correct order, the game is very manageable.

/Edit: Oh, and this is why Gothic failed on the american market back in the days. One of the developers told in an interview that american players didn't liked the concept of "retreat and come back later" when stumbling over a strong enemy, which I find to be a very american thing. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

/Edit: Oh, and this is why Gothic failed on the american market back in the days. One of the developers told in an interview that american players didn't liked the concept of "retreat and come back later" when stumbling over a strong enemy, which I find to be a very american thing. :>

*Insert French joke here*

ZRIA5tx.jpg

Might not have been my wisest purchase..

Anyhow, installing right now. Will be playing.. in two hours or so after it has chewed through all 5 DVD's.

Oh, and Dying Light is absolutely fantastic and if you wish for faster zombies you're a masochist and need help.

Edit: Christ my desk looks dirty! I swear it looks black in normal light!

Edited by mkreku
  • Like 9

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Before the Storm episode 2 is out. With episode 1 my gamepad first didn't worked at all.. had to do some manual fixing to make it recognize the xbox gamepad... now with episode 2, the RT, LT, etc. buttons aren't working... what the heck is wrong with this game, and why can't they fix this crap?