What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

Gat out of Hell had great writing. The musical was pure gold. But it was a crap game. And removing the custom player character was only the beginning of what was wrong with it.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

There wasn't much writing in it, though, and they even made fun of the lack of cutscenes ("too expensive").

I kinda miss the times of SR3, though. Back then cars still mattered. With SR4 and the super powers, nobody is using them anymore. They might as well not exist at all.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, as someone who dislikes the superhero genre in general, I ended up quitting SR4 within a few hours and never looked back. For context, I finished SR3, though it took a couple bites of the cherry and it kinda petered out towards the end (zombies are stupid, they ruined Stick of Truth too).

SR4's only improvement over its predecessor was the addition of the classic bob hairstyle.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What Volition have sunk to... :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, as someone who dislikes the superhero genre in general, I ended up quitting SR4 within a few hours and never looked back. For context, I finished SR3, though it took a couple bites of the cherry and it kinda petered out towards the end (zombies are stupid, they ruined Stick of Truth too).

SR4's only improvement over its predecessor was the addition of the classic bob hairstyle.

These forums should implement a polite dislike button so that I can rightly express my dissatisfaction with this post. But; you do you, man and if you don't like it then it ain't worth it.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm actually having fun with SR4. Some of these quests are pure gold and I'm enjoying the Superman powers because of them being in the matrix and it's SR.

I really enjoyed SR3 but my playthru got bugged and will have to start over. The robot chicken nerd dlc was hilarious.

I'll just be happy for a he remake of the first 3.

• Like 1

Whatever Volition does with Saints Row in the future, for the love of God, set the game somewhere else than Steelport, anywhere.  Steelport is just a dreadfully boring city to explore.

Edit: Now I'm sad again that there will never be another Sleeping Dogs.  They really nailed it in the interesting city to explore department in that game.  Also, a man who never eat pork bun is never a whole man.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

These forums should implement a polite dislike button so that I can rightly express my dissatisfaction with this post. But; you do you, man and if you don't like it then it ain't worth it.

You can like the post then revoke the like if you really want to convey your disapproval. :ninja:

As it is, I put the horror genre last on the Obsidian DLC survey, but if there was a superhero category, it'd be a close-run thing. Both would clearly be behind even first-person shooters *gasp*.

On Sleeping Dogs, I absolutely loved the fake Hong Kong, but the game ended up getting too grim and depressing for me to go on with. I liked tooling around, doing side-stuff, and some of the early storyline which at least had some levity. I'd love for the city to be reused but for something more tonally similar to the Police Story movies.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Whatever Volition does with Saints Row in the future, for the love of God, set the game somewhere else than Steelport, anywhere.  Steelport is just a dreadfully boring city to explore.

Edit: Now I'm sad again that there will never be another Sleeping Dogs.  They really nailed it in the interesting city to explore department in that game.  Also, a man who never eat pork bun is never a whole man.

I'm hoping that they go the time travel route and you end up with a SR flavored version of Bill and Ted, it seems that's what they were setting up.

I like Sleeping Dogs, the combat was good, the story had some good points (decreases significantly once you become a Red Pole). I think the game did suffer from being rush or at least it feels that way, either that or the whole thing feels very superficial for the most part.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

My biggest issue with Sleeping Dogs was them introducing a bunch of characters, then those characters barely ever getting so much as a mention later on or being immediately completely forgotten.  The game either needed to be significantly longer or there needed to be fewer characters so that they could delve into the characters at length.  They just glossed over so many character.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm actually having fun with SR4. Some of these quests are pure gold and I'm enjoying the Superman powers because of them being in the matrix and it's SR.

I really enjoyed SR3 but my playthru got bugged and will have to start over. The robot chicken nerd dlc was hilarious.

I'll just be happy for a he remake of the first 3.

I liked it as well, but I probably would have never finished any of these games if not for the coop mode. Playing SR3 and 4 with a friend made it a lot better, because you are able to do stupid stuff every once in a while that you wouldn't do in singleplayer.

And yeah, I thought the writing was pretty good most of the times. Most characters are likable idiots and that feels kinda fresh in the otherwise always oh so serious gaming world.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I liked Saints Row 4 from start to finish because it allowed me to feel like a super hero and do whatever I want. It also had top-of-the-line writing and was hilarious. I played the PS4 version which had all the DLCs(plus a code for Gat Out of Hell download). Both Enter the Dominatrix and How Saints Save The Christmas were great additions to the main game, I think I liked the latter a bit more simply because Mrs. Claus rules!

Gat out of Hell had great writing. The musical was pure gold. But it was a crap game. And removing the custom player character was only the beginning of what was wrong with it.

Some of the new weapons and powers were cool, too. The Armchair-A-Geddon was crazy!

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I just finished What Remains of Edith Finch, a very well made adventure game.

The basic premise is that you return to a house where all almost your other relatives have died. It's not some thriller/horror theme, like Scratches, which is a similar game.

It's much more varied, imagination-jogging and atmospheric. You get to experience the stories of those who died, but often in a slightly comical, unexpected, dreamy and twisted way. The game's not based on any Heavy-handed realism. And there are no pixel hunting nor any overly complex puzzles to solve. You have to be curious and have some wits about you, but otherwise the game is a true joy to experience and play. It's totally unpredictable. I guess you'd need to be at least 13 or something to play it, though, since the theme of Death is pretty in-depth, if I put it that way. The game took me like 4h to complete.

Here are some screenies:

8Dsq9f.jpg

aWY5oY.jpg

Qy8bBv.jpg

4jQvat.jpg

TEDrrt.jpg

sEOs1l.jpg

FVClL6.jpg

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hitting up the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta. I miss my jump pack. :( It feels like a whole new game not even related to any previous Battlefront titles. I'm still not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I just hope we get more defend the position/control point modes. Not loving Theed's initial objective.

And going on through Danganronpa v3. Not much else to say than it's a solid DR title.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

a) Darkwood. I didn't think you can make a top-down game this scary. Combination of Silent Hill, survival crafting games, focus on story and exceptional sound design make this a must for horror fans.

b) Outlaws. Yes, the old Lucas Arts shooter. Didn't expect the game to be so damn deadly - your weapons hit like a truck, but so do the enemies'. It makes for careful and systematic gameplay, combined with oldschool level design. Liking it a lot, not sure why I've not played it yet. ('spose it might be due to it running on the crappy Jedi engine)

Edit: And there's a train level! Of course there's a train level! I love old shooters.

Edited by Fenixp

I finished Life Is Strange. Probably one of the top 3 new games I've played in the last decade.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, if you folks are into adventure games, I *strongly* recommend Oxenfree. It's got a really cool dialog system that's able to accommodate a bunch of different things--like running away from another character mid-conversation, or interrupting a character by responding while he/she is talking. Great voice acting, too.

• Like 3

Man, what an amazing month for indies.  First SteamWorld Dig 2, then Cuphead, and now Battle Chasers: Nightwar (I'll be picking that up soon) comes out.  No day 1 DLC bull****, no ludicrously priced season pass (**** season passes in general), no greedy as **** microtransactions, just really great games at a fair price.  No wonder indies have gotten 90+% of my money over the last few years.  Indies just keep getting better and better, while the big publisher games (for the most part) just keep getting greedier and greedier. 

I agree, I've been playing mostly indies on the switch so far and feel that Nintendo, throughout the rest of the year have almost weekly solid releases or release weeks which have 2-3 great games.  

This week alone is Golf Story, Axiom Verge, Stardew Valley, Oxenfree, etc, and with titles on the way like Hollow Knight, Rocket League, Battlechasers, Terraria, plus a bunch of other indies and that's not even counting the bigger games like Mario, Skyrim, and Doom.

I realize a lot of these are not "new" games but having these indies on a portable machine that boots up a game in seconds from sleep mode is just superb.  But I said when I bought the system, just give me these great indie games on a portable machine and I'll keep supporting these great devs!

• Like 1

I'm working my way toward 100% completion in SteamWorld Dig 2.  Most of the time, I don't bother trying to 100% a game I have finished, but in this case, it's so much fun to play that I'm eager to do it.  I'm now at 34 out of 42 artifacts found and most of the regions in the game are at 80% secrets found or higher.  So far, I've managed to avoid the temptation of looking up a guide, I've found everything completely on my own.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Replaying The Longest Journey. Man...what. a. game. 

After 17 years it still feels fresh and is probably one the most well written games I've ever played. 

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.