You did WHAT...?!

Amentep

I did watch the apple presentation yesterday. To be honest, what it reminded me most of was some sort of sect... the speakers were using a very specific language and very specific gestures and mimic. It started off with an in memoriam to Steve Jobs which almost felt like what we call Götzenverehrung (which kind of means idol worship, but has a different tone to it because "Götze" is a demeaning word for a different (as in, different from your) god,) especially considerinh their language and gestures mimicked Jobs. The products were presented not as technical gadgets or even as lifestyle gadgets but as life changing or at least life forming wonders. Heck, they sought to present themselves as a fundamentally life changing force; in the beginning they mentioned how they now call apple stores "apple townsquares". Think about what that does rhetorically... it incorporates what actually is a shop into everyday language as a normal gathering place, not unlike the word "church". And lastly, it is all about getting money from its worshippers, like a sect.

And yes I am writing this from my iPhone SE, why do you ask?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I think Apple has a hard time doing it's format without acknowledging jobs. If they deviate the lose what he brought to the company, if they don't references him it all feels like a simulacrum. As far as the presentation, it all has to be practiced, it has to mostly be business/tech people leading the whole ordeal. The business people have to reach tech people, the tech people have to reach business people, but most of all the non-business/non-tech people need to be reached. Most of what apple does is taking impressive underlying tech that the industry at large is working with, and apply it in a salient, fun, gimmicky way that everyone could immediately appreciate. If they add some neat machine learning tech to drive some internal smarts, they will bootstrap it onto emojis so it can market itself to people who don't care about the gory details.

I've gotten less cynical about what people do as I get older and more cynical about the reasons that leave people with little choice. Apple at or near market cap has essentially imprisoned itself and it doesn't know where else to grow. It's the same problem with Google.

I hadn't thought of that...

One cool feature that Ive read about, is that FaceID will not work when your eyes are closed. So no more worrying about random strangers entering my house while I'm asleep and accessing my phone. Phew, bullet dodged.

Can't they just hold the phone in front of your phase and yell "boo!"?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For me it's just a shiny new toy* and I have no problems admitting that

*to also include cars, guns, and computers and anything else where there is a much cheaper option that provides the same basic functionality

Is the Model 3 going to materialize this year ...

All Stop. On Screen.

For me it's just a shiny new toy* and I have no problems admitting that

*to also include cars, guns, and computers and anything else where there is a much cheaper option that provides the same basic functionality

Is the Model 3 going to materialize this year ...

I wish but I'm on the bottom of the list because I kneejerkedly (I'm just going to call that a word) cancelled my initial reservation when I got laid off last year

Free games updated 3/4/21

I did watch the apple presentation yesterday. To be honest, what it reminded me most of was some sort of sect... the speakers were using a very specific language and very specific gestures and mimic. It started off with an in memoriam to Steve Jobs which almost felt like what we call Götzenverehrung (which kind of means idol worship, but has a different tone to it because "Götze" is a demeaning word for a different (as in, different from your) god,) especially considerinh their language and gestures mimicked Jobs. The products were presented not as technical gadgets or even as lifestyle gadgets but as life changing or at least life forming wonders. Heck, they sought to present themselves as a fundamentally life changing force; in the beginning they mentioned how they now call apple stores "apple townsquares". Think about what that does rhetorically... it incorporates what actually is a shop into everyday language as a normal gathering place, not unlike the word "church". And lastly, it is all about getting money from its worshippers, like a sect.

And yes I am writing this from my iPhone SE, why do you ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpF0MRGwOQA

;)

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Lack of sleep, been up all night on the phone with my daughter and her mother. I'm getting sick and tired of lil kids and teachers.

My daughter has unfortunately inherited my speech problem so last year she was bullied quite a bit, to the point the 9 yr old lost weight and depressed. Had her come up and spend a whole summer with me and her brother, to see her but also positive reformcement. Made huge progress with her, tried to help her out and give her truth and tried to strengthen her. Hell got her back to happy and eating to where she is healthy looking.

New year at school, and now not only has she been bullied for her speech again (which she has made leaps and bounds, I'm very proud of her), but now she's getting picked on because she's "fat". She's nowhere near fat, she's not skinny af anymore.

Of course teachers do not do anything, since they do not want kids acting on their own but instead going to others for help. I have instead taught her to stand up for herself. While it goes against the teaching at school, which hasn't helped her but made it more difficult because tattling brings retaliation, I've told her I will have her back and not to worry what school can do to ya, I will have her back IF she is int he right.

We took her outta school when the school has failed to even have the councilor talk to her, and gets in trouble from the teacher for standing up for herself since her teacher hasn't done anything at all.

So now, lack of sleep and working and taking a break from looking up homeschool requirements and etc for her state.

It sucks because I've been thru the same as her, and I can help. Sadly I know my help isn't gonna be 100% because I'm a guy and she's a girl and I know socially and thinking and etc are different. Granted man or woman or whatever, a good fist fight is usually a great way to end bullying imho, making someone work for it usually helps end it and prevents others.

Good times, good times. **** lil kids and those types of teachers.

Thank God Almighty she's got my stubbornness. She's alright now and looking forward to not going to school. Gonna be taking her to the park more in afternoons and skating and etc. Video games are very helpful to escape. Sucks giving truth and knowing it's not gonna fully sink in til later in life.

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 2

Good luck to your kid. Is sort of good to learn to deal with **** sooner than later, but stilk sucks the teachers don't help.

Heh, remember one kid watching a bully choke on a bone or something and not help. Later told the teacher that he was ok with watching that dude die :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Google is overnighting me a free replacement phone even though the warranty is expired on my current phone. I have the protection plan or whatever they sell but there is a deductible for that so the customer service rep was just like **** it have a new one for free and I couldn't say no to that.

Got my replacement set up and my old phone wiped and ready to go out

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Childhood can be rough, same with parenting.  Hang in there, redneckdevil, you and your daughter will get through this and emerge all the stronger for it.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Got my fair share of bullying (For being hearing impaired and for daring to have brown hair AND brown eyes! ) in school aswell, so your daughter has my full sympathies. Got into alot of fisticuffs back then with my tormentors wich helped me get my aggressions out since the school refused to help me. Eventually had enough and went to the municipal council and had them change my school and it got alot better.

Hope she keeps her spirits up, and that you get her sorted in a new school alternatively get those nitwits in her school shot, gutted and quartered. Useless limpwristed teachers are the worst.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got my fair share of bullying (For being hearing impaired and for daring to have brown hair AND brown eyes! ) in school aswell, so your daughter has my full sympathies. Got into alot of fisticuffs back then with my tormentors wich helped me get my aggressions out since the school refused to help me. Eventually had enough and went to the municipal council and had them change my school and it got alot better.

Hope she keeps her spirits up, and that you get her sorted in a new school alternatively get those nitwits in her school shot, gutted and quartered. Useless limpwristed teachers are the worst.

am suspecting is tough on teachers to make a right call.  we coached kids at the high school level, so is a bit older than red's child, but we were much aware how vicious and petty kids could be towards each other.  had one kid with asperger's syndrome who we knew were the victim o' all kinda bullying.  high school kids would know better than to mock a person in a wheelchair for being unable to walk, but the student with asperger's were given absolute no quarter for his social mistakes. am suspecting as a coach we had a bit more influence over the kids we dealt with as they were in our zone o' influence voluntarily, and we could exact more immediate and meaningful lessons than could an ordinary teacher.  courtesy fail and everybody runs stadium stairs for the next 15 minutes.  increase 5 minutes each time some dunderhead makes same mistake. am guaranteeing an end to shenanigans in our presence long before our impromptu conditioning events reach an hour in duration.  even so, if Gromnir disciplined we knew we were not making things easier for the victim.  as soon as the kids were out o' our presence, retributive bullying would be enacted. 

worst part is we witnessed a kinda a millennial shift regarding parent behavior more than kids.  kids stayed predictable evil over years. however, when we first started coaching, way back in the 90s, speak to a bully's parents were highly efficacious.  we would speak to parents and then parents would "speak" to their child. problem often solved with mere threat o' a parent-coach conference. as 2000s progressed, parents came into conferences we (the head coach actual, but at our urging) scheduled with increasingly adversarial outlooks. regardless o' their child's behavior, many parents came into conferences looking for a way to deflect blame.

do nothing and kid is bullied.  do something and kid is bullied more. 

teach kids to be less cruel and more understanding?  good luck.  empathy and adult morality is frequent beyond youth hardwiring until an unspecified age in teen (or later) years.

*shrug*

our solution to being the one native american at an all white school during elementary were to be either faster or tougher than anybody giving us trouble.  didn't always work out as planned, but we caught a few o' our tormentors alone and taught 'em what we could 'bout courtesy and manners.

our solution to being the one native american/indian at an all black high school in chicago were a bit more simple.  we were a genuine sports star, so in spite o' a rough start, we quickly became off limits to any kinda overt violence directed our way.  friends were a bit harder to come by, but is tough not to make at least a couple friends on a team when you is all-city/all-state. popularity born o' pragmatism? silliness.  better than being locked in a dumpster. 

wish we had good advice.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I spent the evening at the LA county fair. My niece valiantly accepted her finish, which wasn't what she wanted. Still, she had a great time and was laughing and joking quickly afterwards. She's much more resilient than me. I'd be kicking myself. After the cupcake competition, they convinced me to shell out $9.75 for a deep fried bacon wrapped pickle. 10 bucks! What the hell, man?! Anyway, tasted interesting. Hot. Then we went to the Alice in Wonderland themed area and poked around. The niece was in love with the pygmy hedgehogs. The wife fell in love with the white bunnies. I figured it would be best to abstain, otherwise I would have fallen in love with the brew stands. Plenty of them. I decided to wait until I got home and enjoy a little bit of vino. Well, it's probably a step up from vino. Half step? After a glass of that, it's time to visit the sandman.

• Like 1

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

When I was in middle school, punching my bully was the best thing I ever did. I try not to share that story with my students, but sometimes it slips out.  ;)

I also went to 4 schools in 3 years. Middle School was the worst for me. As a parent, there are times when I'm frustrated with teachers, as a teacher, there are times when I quietly question my colleagues, but as an educator, there are also plenty of times where I have failed to see the problem or solve them. I see 170 kids in a day, 35 at a time for a 50 minute block. That's not an excuse though, I try to make a difference for all of them. There are times when I wake up in the middle of the night replaying a moment earlier in the day, there are times when I wander around campus trying to find a student to ask them about a situation or apologize for a stupid comment I made. It's tough, I know I miss a lot.    

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

I try to be realistic and logical (hard to do when your own kid is involved) and know that teachers can't catch and see everything. Alot of things have a build up and within the small time frame, it's not reasonable to expect teachers to be able to do much with such limited information. Remembering school, y'all have a difficult time as it is just to get kids to pay attention just so u can do your job.

I do have a problem when it's brought to someone's attention and they do nothing, if anything is done is done towards my child for standing up and trying to stop something the teacher themselves choses not to. Even asked for a councilor for her and not even provided one to help.

Yeah Hurl, Grom, and Az, we don't see eye to eye on everything, but this is one area im in total agreement. From personal experience, some good old fashion fisticuffs is a way to either end the bullying or at least feel better and keep more confidence in yourself losing than if u walk away and did nothing when you could have.

I'm thinking now's a good time to teach her and inform her of things we safely learned thru experience and age. Teach her how to size up situations, how to fist fight for protection, pump some cold hard truth street smarts into her. Teach what is and isn't allowed and the "theres a time and the place", guidelines and info she can take or leave, but also punishment and restrictions. I know what it's like to be a mean S.O.B. and have to find better out let's to channel any anger or frustration. Of course along with all the other knowledge and experience of everyday life as well, manners and etique along with school knowledge.

She's gonna have a hard time in school, very open and happy and trying to make friends with everybody with her speech issue, good chance she's gonna be a target for some **** someday, but that's my lil girl. Daddy's girl. So I'm gonna try and give her the tools to easier get thru life doing whatever path she takes that makes her happy and be happy.

Ok sorry rant over, that's all I'll say about situation. Ty for letting me rant. She's doing great atm. Looks like soon I'll be having a hand in being a teacher lol. She might not be daddy's girl at the end, I don't care lol.

• Like 2

In my experience, redneckdevil, almost everybody is bullied at some point or another and almost everybody bullies someone else. Humans are a fickle lot like that. I myself have a glorious and inglorious history, like a lot of people, and I can't take credit for the times I've stood up for myself and others if I don't accept the shame for the times I was too scared to stand up and didn't help anyone. Even worse, the times when I had the opportunity to take my part in the chain by maybe leaning hard on someone just because I had the opportunity and wanted to see them bend. Sure, those times were rare, but I've done it and I would be a liar if I didn't own it. I never had any kids, which I've always thought was a real shame. I wanted them. However, if I did have any, I'd like to think that I'd take the time to help and care about them the way you're doing. Kids are resilient and you're giving yours a good model just by taking a hand in her life. Good luck, man!

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

If I am to give my two cents, do. keep her away from any sort of addictive. Me myself and people I know were especially prone to that given the right circumstances; and not just actual drugs... internet and video games for example all easily become a refuge. Does more harm than good in my experience

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Had a neighbor bitch at me for playing music on my phone with my dog on the front step. Guess dude doesn't dig Beenie Man :lol

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Am starting to get situated in my apartment, but two things have cropped up that are killing me. One is that apparently my old apartment (where the manager had said I wouldn't have to pay a lease break) is charging me 1200 in lease break fees. The other is that my old boss didn't properly put in that I had used vacation for my move, so I lost about 500 dollars out to that.

So I'm doing faaaaan ****ing tastic right now....

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Visited the IAA, which is the International Automobile Exhibition. Had a good laugh when I saw that Volkswagen made an ad for their car credit program titled "your Declaration of Independence".

• Like 1

And everybody knows

Am starting to get situated in my apartment, but two things have cropped up that are killing me. One is that apparently my old apartment (where the manager had said I wouldn't have to pay a lease break) is charging me 1200 in lease break fees. The other is that my old boss didn't properly put in that I had used vacation for my move, so I lost about 500 dollars out to that.

So I'm doing faaaaan ****ing tastic right now....

That ****ing sucks, I've been there. Hope things work out for ya

That sucks, Calax, you got double kicked in the balls.  Hang in there.

With The End Times nearly upon us and The Rapture right around the corner  :shifty: I've decided to dive headlong into the deep end of the Nibiru Conspiracy Theory pool for the next few days...  for science.

Now, excuse me as I fashion myself a stylish looking hat out of tin foil.  :wowey:

itsaliens.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I managed to work it out so that I'm paying basically my entire security deposit... plus about 450. Gonna have to dip into my true savings account to pay it.

and "New HR person is on it" is all I got about my vacation time.

Good news is that it looks like I'm gonna be running the largest non-airport location for hertz in the state of Minnesota. But that's only perception.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.