Politics - Jason X

Amentep

I was thinking about that very thing recently. Ive become so desensitized to bombings / shootings / running overs that it doesnt even really phase me anymore.

That's the problem with terrorism, people get desensitized to them (beyond the initial immediate panic locally) to the point where it has no real effect, making the terrorism ineffectual. Of course, the terrorists don't realize that.

At this point, I think they're just bombing for the sake of bombing and killing people than any real goal.

• Like 1

does anyone care anymore? They can make daily show out of this shuff

Well people local to the attacks do. People in other countries probably don't care that much.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well people local to the attacks do. People in other countries probably don't care that much.

How much local? I would guess that people living in countries hit by this would demand their leaders to do something about it, but as you can see in France or UK, they don't. Only people actually care are those who's friends and families are affected directly

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

have posted this elsewhere, but suicide, in most countries, is most significant reduced not by improving happiness or mental health, but by making the act less convenient.  serious.  historical biggest drop in US suicide rate coincided with the time when a switch from coal fire ovens to natural gas took place.  old movies or cartoons where you see a character stick his head in a cold oven were based on a genuine suicide epidemic, which dropped almost overnight by +25%.  recent suicide rate in the US has increased, direct coinciding with the increased numbers o' suicides by opioids/painkillers. suicide, the actual act, is statistical impulsive.  is the darkest kinda humor, but suicides is, for the most part, too lazy or cowardly to come up with complex methods o' self harm. being more generous, and more human, the conclusion is a suicide, given even a brief time 'pon which to reflect, general steps back from the proverbial brink.

make suicides drop is easy if you find a way to reduce availability o' handguns, opioids... and coal fire ovens.  'course such doesn't in any way solve the more fundamental mental health issues.

also don't address cultural norms and mores regarding suicide.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How much local? I would guess that people living in countries hit by this would demand their leaders to do something about it, but as you can see in France or UK, they don't. Only people actually care are those who's friends and families are affected directly

As in your city and probably country. Are you sure people aren't demanding they do something about it that isn't theatre or overreach? Not in UK, so don't know. Not sure terror attacks are as passe as shootings in Chicago, so not too sure people are just going to shrug at it.

Is a separate thing from panicking as a result, at least in my mind.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm guessing every country is doing quite a bit to build security and stop terrorist attacks. Unfortunately it is a very difficult problem. You only need one wacko to pull it off. It would be a lot easier if we didn't live in a free society, but how much freedom are we willing to give up for the sake of security?

https://studentloans.net/insane-repayment-survey/

kind of a funny survey of what students would do for all their student loans to be forgiven. I would take it with a grain of salt, but some of the people answering were undoubtedly serious. I've also read a headline about roughly half of the student population willing to give up their right to vote in order for student loan forgiveness.

Maybe the question isn't what people are willing to give up. It's what they're willing to do. If you're not willing to lift a finger to defend your own freedom, you're probably more than willing to give them up. If freedom isn't a large umbrella over the whole of society, then it doesn't exist at all.

I went to a (laughably pathetic) Trump rally near my house in California. I vacillate between hatred, fear, and confusion regarding President Trump, but I *did* vote for him (that explanation would take too long to relate here). Anyway, I didn't go because I felt strongly about his candidacy. I went because I have the freedom of expression and I'm damned if someone will cow me into silence. If someone wants to take a poke, or a shot, at me, so be it. Even better, I posted the pics on social media. However, while I never went to an anti-Trump rally, I have dear friends who viscerally hate the president and I offered to go with them to any such rally as moral support. Safe offer. A lot of hatred, but no one willing to make the trek. Out of all my friends, only one has been willing to canvas or work to help a campaign or volunteer in any way. While I love the kid, since he has plans of getting into politics you can't really say it's devoid entirely of self-interest. He's building a resume and contacts.

How much folks are willing to give up and how much they're willing to act are two sides of the same coin. The answer: way too much and hardly anything at all.

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

Nobody died so that's hardly a great political fodder.

Besides I think people are starting to notice how ineffective Islamic terrorism really is.

A decade of terror in UK killed about as many people as a bad tower fire.

Besides I think people are starting to notice how ineffective Islamic terrorism really is.

A decade of terror in UK killed about as many people as a bad tower fire.

Thinking about this, why do you suppose this is? We read stories every month of some suicide attack at a market or mosque that produces atrocious casualties. We've got plenty of "soft" targets....do you think its just harder to get explosives in Western countries?

[...] do you think its just harder to get explosives in Western countries?

Much much harder - and in general you need to keep a lot more quiet about it too, even white nationalists are under scrutiny now, after Brevik. 

That and the technical know-how is harder to cultivate in the west, the people who actually can help you, are less inclined to support terrorism. Or so the annual reports here in DK, that I've read, seem to indicate. I imagine it's similar in other western countries.

Fortune favors the bald.

I think people underestimate how far the west has gone to defend against terrorism. People now think it's a negligible issue because they take for granted the measures, and further because they live where it doesn't affect them. If you look at the increasing string of attacks throughout the 90's and the culmination with 9/11, then things really fall into perspective. The patriot act didn't just come out of nothing, it's not just a cynical attempt to prey on the fud of the people. It's largely desperation with a massive slippery slope attached to it. People forget things like the people of Israel needing to live under the Iron Dome. The US has a high interest in providing protection for refugees, but also a high interest in maintaining a nation where they can easily integrate. Looking at Europe, their methods are far more questionable, and you wonder if integration is an actual goal or just a word that turns on some people on. People seeking occidentalization deserve to find it as a home, not ghettoized.

• Like 1

Anyone with basic chemistry knowledge can make explosives. If suicide bombers have something similar its this - they are dumb

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well Suzy.. if our military didn't model formations based off formicidae behavioural patterns and anthopilia aerial-cryptograms, then I suppose we wouldn't have a military at all.

Congrats to 70 years of the airmen and airwomen who serve America :) May your wings continue to flap forevermore, forevermore... forevermore.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Tuning into Trump's UN speech midway is confusing, he's calling for a revival of patriotism worldwide it seems.

Edited by Malcador