Politics - Jason X

Amentep

Which seems to largely correlate along lines of continental isolation, 3rd world, or high inequality first world. Islamic nations seem somewhat protected from high suicide rates. Tropical tourist based countries also seem to fair better, which is interesting.

A verse in the Quran instructs; "And do not kill yourselves, surely God is most Merciful to you."

Ive been curious though, if an Islamic man gets 72 virgins upon death, what does an Islamic woman get?

What the hell, Germany? Why are they such a dump that people are killing themselves at a higher rate than China?

Well... Ben might be joking, but I would say that Germany, being a representative democracy with more public oversight into the accumulation of statistics, is more reliable than China in terms of things like suicide rates. It's like the article you posted said, it's tough to compare suicide rates when you can't trust all of the information, sometimes due to deceit, sometimes due to bad design, and even other times on account simple lack of reporting or care.
I was semi joking. According to the "more info" link, the new number are due to one study by a Hong Kong Uni. I guess if they were reliable enough, the government would use them...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_China

Personally I wouldn't put much stock in what HK has to say since they obviously have a bone to pick with the mainland. Making things worse than what they seem would be a good strategy to garner the support of the international community. It might be  true, but because of the obvious political interests I will take it with a grain of salt.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Which seems to largely correlate along lines of continental isolation, 3rd world, or high inequality first world. Islamic nations seem somewhat protected from high suicide rates. Tropical tourist based countries also seem to fair better, which is interesting.

A verse in the Quran instructs; "And do not kill yourselves, surely God is most Merciful to you."

Ive been curious though, if an Islamic man gets 72 virgins upon death, what does an Islamic woman get?
And where do the virgins come from? If they are dead actual virgins, doesn't that just incentivise premarital sex?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

And where do the virgins come from? If they are dead actual virgins, doesn't that just incentivise premarital sex?

Allah must be greater than God since he can spawn 72 out of thin air while God needed a man's rib.

Seriously though, what is the reward for the pious Muslim females?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/recycled/2010/03/honey_im_dead.html

I can't vouch for the source, but it was an interesting article.

...And, being Catholic, I can assure you that if there are 72 virgins in heaven, I'm going to have a hell of a time doing all their laundry and cooking.

Edited by Eumaios
  • Like 2

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

"From the 9th through the 12th centuries, Muslim scholars described paradise as a place of sensual delights—for men. They debated whether men remained married to their wives in heaven, whether they could have sex with the virgins, and whether the heavenly virgins had anuses. (Some said there was no need for elimination in the afterlife.)"

giphy.gif

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"Numbers I disagree with MUST be falsified."   *nods sagely*

Well... more like, "numbers that oscillate wildly between extreme values without good explanation should be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism".

Mind, the figure was, in Wiki, 22.23 per 100k until march 2015. Then someone used an Economist article which in turn references a HK uni study (which interestingly is nowhere to be found) to revise the figure down to 9.8 per 100k. But even the sourced article is far from convincing:

"Paul Yip, director of the Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention at the University of Hong Kong and a co-author of the recent study, says no country has ever achieved such a rapid decline in suicides. And yet, experts say, China has done it without a significant improvement in mental-health services—and without any national publicity effort to lower suicides.

The most dramatic shift has been in the figures for rural women under 35. Their suicide rate appears to have dropped by as much as 90%. The Lancet study in 2002 estimated 37.8 per 100,000 of this age group committed suicide annually in 1995-99. The new study says this declined to just over three per 100,000 in 2011. Another study of suicides, covering 20 years in one province, Shandong, found a decline of 95% among rural women under 35, to 2.6 suicides per 100,000 in 2010—and a 68% drop in suicides among all rural women."

"Scholars suspect that the number of suicides is underreported in official figures (the official suicide rate nationally was 6.9 per 100,000 in 2012) and they make adjustments for that in their calculations. But in several studies, as well as in official data, the long-term decline in suicides has been marked across the spectrum, in rural and urban areas and among men and women from almost all age groups. The only notable exception is the suicide rate among the elderly, which declined overall but has crept back up in recent years, a worrying trend in a rapidly ageing society."

"Twenty years from now, the story of China’s suicide rate could be grimmer than it is today. But rates seem unlikely to return to the levels of the 1990s."

Not to mention, if you're going to start believing Chinese figures, you have to believe ALL of them for the sake of consistency, including their projected economic growth, military capabilities as advertised, etc...

edit: oops, the Economist article.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/recycled/2010/03/honey_im_dead.html

I can't vouch for the source, but it was an interesting article.

...And, being Catholic, I can assure you that if there are 72 virgins in heaven, I'm going to have a hell of a time doing all their laundry and cooking.

That'd be one of the least motivating things I can imagine, having to teach 72 women on how sex works sounds more like hell to me...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Better to teach them something useful like C++

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Better to teach them something useful like C++

Easier aswell.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

C++ in heaven? Are we sure it isn't hell?

They use LISP in hell

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Naw. LISP is for purgatory. Hell uses punch cards. ...And you have to program your own 72 virgins using those punch cards.

Lest someone accuse me of being a misogynist, I say the deceased, and the virgins, should came in any flavor of gender, orientation, income bracket

dimension of origin, and genetic build. This is a terrible discussion and we're probably all going to hell for having it, but it is hilarious.

More of a religion question than political one, though.

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

The Trump-hate train is awfully desperate. Huh...

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Every camp has it's desperate dregs, recycling old politics has long since been it's own genre of consumption and for many a replacement for actual political involvement or effort.

If your media makes your position seem so ****ing obvious, your probably leagues away from crafting any useful argument to reel back your opposition.

• Like 2

hah, like anyone care what is going on west of Poland border, let them have it man

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I know I know; rule of law is a terrible thing isn't it? Would be a much better world if the police could just arrest people whenever they are under suspicion of having pushed someone of a bike.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

does anyone care anymore? They can make daily show out of this shuff

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"