Politics - Jason X

Amentep

Hold on to your wallets, hide your wives and daughters. and lock your doors.... Congress is back in session today! :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And they have PLENTY to do, on top of the other must pass stuff that they have, there's the Harvey disaster relief, funding the government, avoiding the debt ceiling (which even Trump appears to agree is a bad thing to go default), starting work on the tax stuff.....

And there's another hurricane barreling down the Carribean with an unknown future impact on the US, but it WILL hit the US somewhere.

While I understand the fear and anxiety you guys are having, you guys reminded me of this:

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'm not afraid of the hurricane (mainly because I live in California), it's the debt ceiling stuff that worries me because Congress keeps playng chicken with it.

Still, the fact is, Congress DOES have a very busy schedule this month.

Edited by smjjames

TBH I don't actually know what the right answer wrt the debt ceiling, especially given how floating currencies work. I guess it should be raised to keep up with inflation right? It's somewhat relative. It's all about how much and when it moves, and I can't really answer any of those. Of course when you want it to move depends on where your money is.

Oh yeah, you've forgotten antimatter bombs up there. Both that and proton bombs (proton torpedoes in the Star Trek universe) are staples of science fiction.

It's photon torpedo in Star Trek and proton torpedo in Star Wars. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Oh yeah, you've forgotten antimatter bombs up there. Both that and proton bombs (proton torpedoes in the Star Trek universe) are staples of science fiction.

Oh my, oh dear...

https://youtu.be/PuCWfbLyXgQ

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Oh my, oh dear...

Lol, I swore that sometimes they are mislabelled as photon bombs/torpedoes, but I wasn't sure where, so I didn't mention it. I guess it's either a typo that stuck or they had to avoid Lucasarts copyrights or something.

Were they present in TOS or is it just a TNG (and onward) thing?

edit: Odd, your post didn't embed the link, yet quoting it made it embed.

Edited by smjjames

Were they present in TOS or is it just a TNG (and onward) thing?

First appearance of Photon Torpedoes was in the first season of TOS, in the episode "Arena". Prior to that, the Enterprise had used 'proximity bursts' from the phasers for the same effect. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Quick question: What's Antifa's body count right now?

Over 100 million hurt feelings.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

And a lot of shattered glass

#WindowLivesMatter

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

And a lot of shattered glass

#WindowLivesMatter

You forgot about the real victims: Garbage containers. They'll have the alt-right on the run in no time!

m3YVCch.png

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Paris agreement is non-binding voluntary agreement, so its pros and cons are, are you with other nations behind the idea that nature should be protected and emissions need to be lowered or are you not.

And agreements are deals where people/nations come together and decide to do something together. And Trump as self proclaimed deal maker don't seem to have against deals (agreements) generally speaking, so he is clearly also leftist group thinker :dancing: .

Except when he makes deals he tries to make the best deal for him even if it screws up the other group. That isn't 'leftist group thinker'. Then again, Trump does have lots in common with the nu Lefttard. For starters, he's a whiny little snowflake who gets TRIGGERED when someone says something he dislikes. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

BillMoyers - What Trump has wrecked so far

A short listing of the laws, funds, and general infrastructure he's been cutting back on...

"Withdrawing from the Paris Agreement

In June, Trump pulled the US out of the Paris Agreement on climate change. In doing so, the US joined Syria and Nicaragua as the only two countries not participating in the agreement."

I like the short careful assessment of pros and cons of this decision.

How is "he not doing what everyone is doing" an argument. 

It only shows how left is in love with group-thinking. 

fair.  we will now go into an in-depth assessment o' the cons o' the paris agreement.

trump's base is tending to be under-educated and they impulsively reject any sorta environmental protectionism as anti-jobs.  while the paris agreement is complete voluntary and most studies has shown how the move towards renewable and environmental conscientious sources o' energy will actual increase jobs, removing the US from the agreement does appeal to the complete emotional, but irrational, preconceptions o' the people who most helped get trump elected. regardless o' facts, remaining part o' the paris agreement woulda' been seen as globalist and un american by the ~20% of voters who is best described as wingnuts. trump's standing with alt-right conspiracy nutters and coal miners in west virginia woulda' diminished if the US had remained as a voluntary supporter o' the paris agreement.

there you go. we covered all the cons.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

possible con we overlooked.

is the Paris agreement. is understandable for reasonable people to reject being associated with the french. if the SPDT (society for the promotion of dwarf tossing) came up with a brilliant plan for increasing jobs and curing cancer and saving abandoned puppies, we still might hesitate to join their association.  same sorta appeal as licking an ashtray.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Trump complained that the Kuwait leader's plane was longer than his, continuing his peculiar obsession with size.

Some here might have his or her differences with Garry Trudeau (on some issues myself included), but I've long held that if you wanted the truest sense of Trump's character Doonesbury can't be beat.

doones4.gif

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Not sure where you're trying to link to Agiel, but that just links to this forum page.

re Paris Agreement and yadda yadda: Nicaragua declined to join because they thought that it didn't do enough for enforcement, they wanted it to be binding. Plus, they were also complaining that the balance of pulling weight with larger countries vs small isn't fair because Nicaragua is already pulling their weight as far as Paris Accord goals. Or something like that.

Not sure where you're trying to link to Agiel, but that just links to this forum page.

Try it now.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling