Politics - Jason X

Amentep

More like communists. Which is worse. If they were merely nazis they'd be more tolerable.

I've been reading up on the Patriot Prayer group and Joey Gibson. Talk about a crazy story, this guy seems to be doing everything he can to distance himself from white supremacists and denounce racists, and he is still getting attacked.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/23/whos-behind-this-weekends-right-wing-rally-at-crissy-field/

Hopefully all this stuff dies down a bit soon so we can start having actual dialogue.

It's not about fighting fascists. It's about trying to intimidate the rightwing into accepting their control over acceptable ideas, because no one except spoiled brats with zero real world experience would entertain their self destructive ideology so long as they had a choice.

The antifa (the anarchists and the ones descended from anti-fascist groups from the 1930's and 1940's) are the ones who think the only solution to the alt-right is to fight back with violence instead of peacefully. The Black Bloc (is that the same as BLM?) and Black Lives Matter generally prefer peaceful rather than violence.

"Fight back" is an interesting way to frame assaulting people guilty of nothing more than utilizing their civic rights. Also, you might be overrating how peaceful BLM is.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The libertarians tend to be well, um... kinda crazy.

@volourn: ..... you're cherrypicking...

Anyways, for some reason, CNN cut away early from Trump's tax speech while everybody else stayed on http://thehill.com/homenews/media/348598-cnn-cuts-away-from-trump-tax-speech FTFE (**** The Fourth Estate) *shrug*.

Hey I voted Trump, you give me a Libertarian that can stay on point and has a campaign backing them and I'll vote crazy again. Cuz **** the system.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That seems like a pretty accurate way to frame it, actually. At least reading the whole sentence there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In retrospect, all of the candidates sucked. I was prepared to vote third party, then it turned out both Stein and Johnson sucked.

You're the country starting WWIII because of a tiny hands tweet.

Muahahaha, we pass gas in the general direction of NK's puny missiles:

US Missiles Destroy Airborne Target in Successful Defense Test.

Don't they ever plan a 'random surprise attack within a certain period'? Because that's a heck of a lot closer to what a real situation would be rather than knowing down to the exact second something is going to be launched. Not to mention more impressive. Though I guess it'd be problematic to do so given that it takes a long time to plan and prepare for a test like that.

Edited by smjjames

As any (real) developer will tell you, you can play a lot of games if you're in with the QA staff :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In retrospect, all of the candidates sucked. I was prepared to vote third party, then it turned out both Stein and Johnson sucked.

Don't they ever plan a 'random surprise attack within a certain period'? Because that's a heck of a lot closer to what a real situation would be rather than knowing down to the exact second something is going to be launched. Not to mention more impressive. Though I guess it'd be problematic to do so given that it takes a long time to plan and prepare for a test like that.

During Aegis BMD exercises the training ship is brought to alert status for an extended period of time, but is not told precisely when the launch of the target will occur:

https://youtu.be/_pr9WY2Xyj0?t=59s

In any case an IRBM attack on Japan or Guam isn't what the worry is, but tube and rocket artillery attacks on Seoul. I'm sure Mattis' more tempered tone is owed to the fact that unlike Trump he's 100% cognizant to the fact that a misstep could lead to an economic depression the likes we haven't seen since the Great Depression from the destruction of Seoul that will change the course of human history for many years to come, even if no American lives save for those living in or stationed in Korea will be directly affected.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Edit: Wrong discussion. That's what I got for having multiple wimdows open on my phone internet browser.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah. Nvm, wrong place lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I hate to break it to you, but the Republicans don't believe in liberal Democracy either.

But Democrats are far, far worse. Granted both parties are corrupt, but without changing the electoral system nothing can be done about it.

Have you ever considered not voting for Republicans and Democrats? If we get enough people to do that we CAN start changing things a little without screwing with the Constitution. It has happened before. You don't see any Whigs running around do you?

Oh... wait: http://www.modernwhig.org/

I've considered it and decided it was illogical. All I'd be doing is helping the Dems, which are by far the greater evil. Whigs didn't disappear because people didn't vote for them, it was because the party split internally. Anyway, politics worked far different back then. There's no chance either Libertarians or Greens will ever become a viable party, not that I have any liking for either anyway. Republican party probably will disappear eventually once it can no longer win elections, but as I've said the consequences will be dire. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It'll be a long time before the Republicans become non-viable since the Democrats have to work through their own problems since they're at their lowest ebb politically since what, the 1920's.

It's always possible that the Republicans will reform themselves and adapt, parties change over time. The Democrats and Republicans today aren't quite the same as they were 50 years ago, much less 100 years ago. It'd also be possible that the Republicans fade out and some other party rises in it's place.

Seems like we're going through one of those periods in which we're shifting from one party system to another, in any case, we're definetly going through a politically turbulent period.

Edited by smjjames

If I may, I don't think that will ever happen. Republicans will be around for as long as Democratics. Even if it was legally removed and banned by the council in courtus by legislative act, Republicans would still exists as a resistance of some sort. Republicans now seem to be stronger than they were 10 years ago.

Even with all the Trump festerings and criticisms, Republicans seem to be in a good place but like anything else, if people only focus on the bad or hear the bad, then the bad is all they will see and share which is what I reckon these old eyes have been witnessing from the news.

Either way though I'm not a republican. Just thought I'd say my piece. Sorry for interupting.

If I may, I don't think that will ever happen. Republicans will be around for as long as Democratics. Even if it was legally removed and banned by the council in courtus by legislative act, Republicans would still exists as a resistance of some sort. Republicans now seem to be stronger than they were 10 years ago.

Even with all the Trump festerings and criticisms, Republicans seem to be in a good place but like anything else, if people only focus on the bad or hear the bad, then the bad is all they will see and share which is what I reckon these old eyes have been witnessing from the news.

Either way though I'm not a republican. Just thought I'd say my piece. Sorry for interupting.

It's likely that WoD is talking about the long term demographic shift and it's electoral consequences. Though I could be wrong.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

It'll be a long time before the Republicans become non-viable since the Democrats have to work through their own problems since they're at their lowest ebb politically since what, the 1920's.

depends on your metric, but if you are going by party affiliation o' Congress, President and state governors, then early 1930s would likely be the last time we saw similar %s.  herbert hoover and the 71st Congress gave the republicans overwhelming numbers in Washington, although their extreme short-lived dominance might be a historical lesson for those current in power. so, 1930s.

'course  the 1930 democratic party would be unrecognizable to most folks today.  red state v. blue state nomenclature, which actual only got started 'cause o' tv coverage and arbitrary color assignations by networks on their visual display/maps (color designations actual changed a few times in early years)  were largely reversed back in the early 30s, and for decades to come.  heck, such inversion were commonplace well into the 60s. the cornerstone o' Kennedy's election platform were not civil rights. Kennedy were a hawk who were primarily running as the Stop-Russian-Menace alternative to his republican opponents. were kennedy who created the "special relationship" 'tween the US and Israel.  heck, were kennedy who approved and executed the bay o' pigs.  

point is we believe it is more likely we see an evolution o' the existing parties rather than an emergent 3rd party.  short o' drastic/cataclysmic economic circumstances or a party-wide scandal o' brobdingnagian proportions, evolution o' the parties makes more sense and has more historic basis than does extinction level events.

HA! Good Fun!

ps keep in mind that summer o' last year, the prediction were the republicans were the party which were gonna be nadir.  after the forgone conclusion o' a democrat President being elected in 2016, along with likelihood o' democrat control o' the senate... not to mention the likely prospect o' a more sympathetic Court, the pundits were already calling for republicans to do some deep soul searching. 

less than six months pass and everything changes.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ps keep in mind that summer o' last year, the prediction were the republicans were the party which were gonna be nadir.  after the forgone conclusion o' a democrat President being elected in 2016, along with likelihood o' democrat control o' the senate... not to mention the likely prospect o' a more sympathetic Court, the pundits were already calling for republicans to do some deep soul searching. 

less than six months pass and everything changes.

That was only because those people were clueless. Trump's win was plenty predictable. Predicting events isn't so hard when pay close attention to things. I think one handsome Obsidian poster named, Namutree (peace be upon him) saw Trump's win coming thanks to his brilliant insight; oh, and a crackpot named Val too, but he just got lucky.

It's likely that WoD is talking about the long term demographic shift and it's electoral consequences. Though I could be wrong.

Yeah, if the Republican party doesn't adapt, that's what will do them in. Which is what WoD was talking about.

@Gromnir: Yep, turned out that despite the divisions and turmoil on the Republican side, it was the Democrats who were deep in the hole and were the ones who needed soul searching.

As me and Gromnir were saying, parties change over time and if one is unable to adapt, then we'll most likely see that one split apart, which is actually how the Republicans got their start.

Edited by smjjames

Have you ever considered not voting for Republicans and Democrats? If we get enough people to do that we CAN start changing things a little without screwing with the Constitution. It has happened before. You don't see any Whigs running around do you?

There's no chance either Libertarians or Greens will ever become a viable party, 

I wouldn't bet on that. The numbers are going up every election since 2000. Too slow for my liking but heading in the right direction. 

http://independentpoliticalreport.com/2016/12/growth-in-libertarian-vote-percentage-in-us-federal-races-2004-2016/

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There's no chance either Libertarians or Greens will ever become a viable party, 

I wouldn't bet on that. The numbers are going up every election since 2000. Too slow for my liking but heading in the right direction. 

http://independentpoliticalreport.com/2016/12/growth-in-libertarian-vote-percentage-in-us-federal-races-2004-2016/

numbers can be misleading.

http://www.ballot-access.org/2001/0101.html

compare

http://ballot-access.org/2017/01/29/january-2017-ballot-access-news-print-edition/

libertarians as percentage o' the overall popular vote for house, senate and/or President ain't actual changed much since 2000.  got a few more seats, but actual % increase in people voting libertarian has changed less than a full percent.  throw you a bone and say for the sake o' argument that libertarians has increased as representative o' a percentage o' the voting public by one full % point. hopeful you ain't prognosticating another 1% every 16 years.  to makes meaningful impact, probably need to be in the ~20% range, yes? so, at the current rate o' increase we should be anticipating a serious libertarian presence in... 2321?  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hey I voted Trump, you give me a Libertarian that can stay on point and has a campaign backing them and I'll vote crazy again. Cuz **** the system.

So... Gary Johnson? :huh:

It seems like he would fit your criteria and then some.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot