So I have been playing with the thought of starting another serious solo run for quite some time and among other things I gave the fighter a new look, because of Wodjee's way to play the rogue with dualing disable on crit weapons.

While I was looking for all the different weapons with disble on crit I stumbled over Xaurip Skirmisher Spears and I gotta say I never quite realized the weapon is supposed to give the same effect that melee skirmishers have, paralyze on successful attacks.

Tho it has another roll vs fort, that is quite an insane early game weapon effect.

Creating a fighter atm to test it.

Not to mention that the paralyze roll is made not only on weapon crit, but also just hit.

There is a problem though, this weapon is unobtainable, no? (console aside)

• Like 1

Not to mention that the paralyze roll is made not only on weapon crit, but also just hit.

There is a problem though, this weapon is unobtainable, no? (console aside)

Yeah, rip I just killed both Act 1 Xaurip's and none dropped it.

I guess the wiki's even worse than we thought. :p

i just consoled them in *cough*... for science and they would be the most broken item in the game if they actually dropped, especially on a dual wielding fighter/rogue/(ranger?) with high acc.

That being said dual wielding fighter is pretty insane even in Act 1 without stunning weapons because of basically 4 prones per encounter and the massive damage you deal with it.

I always solo the tutorial by killing Calisca and letting Heodan die and it was never quite this easy all dangerous enemies die in a single knockdown application (Spear Spider and Looter boss) at least with an island Aumaua from the Living Lands with maxed Mi and Per + IN 10.

i just consoled them in *cough*... for science and they would be the most broken item in the game if they actually dropped, especially on a dual wielding fighter/rogue/(ranger?) with high acc.

For a high level Barbarian they'd be pretty good too. The +1 ACC per level that Carnage hits get would eventually make them higher accuracy than the main attack (+10 at level 16 if you take accurate carnage I think) so with high Perception and high Intellect you'll be paralysing big groups of enemies.

• Like 1

They are not broken, they are just secretly soulbondeble only with the xaurip you have just slain.

One would think that shoving them back in xaurip's throat would be enough to.. severe the bond ^^

Thinking about this spear and perma-paralyzing, reminded me of interruption, as keeping enemies perma-interrupted can do the trick as well.

Interrupt Barbarian was already discussed, and although it is a gimmicky build, I keep thinking how useful it would be if dragons would be immune to all hard-cc status effects (including prone, stun, paralyze, petrify), while having their damage output doubled.

At 17 DEX and zero recovery, barbarian would make a swing every 19.8 frames (or every 0.66 seconds) and would interrupt for 0.85s. 

All we need is to eliminate misses, and overcome the concentration check in at least 77% of time (ofc assuming that interrupts happen to be equidistant and not in clusters)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

They are not broken, they are just secretly soulbondeble only with the xaurip you have just slain.

One would think that shoving them back in xaurip's throat would be enough to.. severe the bond ^^

Thinking about this spear and perma-paralyzing, reminded me of interruption, as keeping enemies perma-interrupted can do the trick as well.

Interrupt Barbarian was already discussed, and although it is a gimmicky build, I keep thinking how useful it would be if dragons would be immune to all hard-cc status effects (including prone, stun, paralyze, petrify), while having their damage output doubled.

At 17 DEX and zero recovery, barbarian would make a swing every 19.8 frames (or every 0.66 seconds) and would interrupt for 0.85s. 

All we need is to eliminate misses, and overcome the concentration check in at least 77% of time (ofc assuming that interrupts happen to be equidistant and not in clusters)

I've honestly been thinking of interrupt a lot lately and will probably create a barbarian today and fool around a bit with the console.

The main problem is the accuracy but at least you don't need crits to interrupt.

Barb with Shatterstar + Godansthunyr (1 sec interrupt + 0.75 sec interrupt), Interrupting Blows (+15 interrupt), high PER (+45 interrupt at PER 25, assuming 21 starting value + 4 from cloak), Arthek's Cord (+21 interrupt), Mourning Gloves (+15 interrupt), Thereatening Presence (-3 oncentration from -1 RES) and Barbaric Shout (-12 concentration form -4 RES), then a chanter with Thick Grew their Tongues (-10 concentration) and Zephyr (-20 concentration) followed by a wizard with Expose Vulnerabilites (-10 concentration) and Miasma (-18 concentration from -6 RES) and last a druid with Insect Swarm (-10 concentration) and Plague of Insects (-20). Maybe I forgot something.

Don't ask me what stacks and what not. Not too many things I guess ;) But it lead to a lot of interrupts while I tested it... It was enough to completely disable all Ogres in Elmshore all the time - but of course the stun also helped a lot.

The best interruptor with not too much fuzz and without complicated party synergy is actually a druid. Give him all those interrupt bonuses and then use the Wind's Arm (with Zephyr) as weapon and cast Plague of Insects and add a lot of Tanglefoot and Wicked Briars, Wall of Thorns and all those pulsing spells. They all have 0.5 secs of interrupt and they do it with each pulse - and have big AoEs, especially Tanglefoot. Enemeies don't even reach you because they get slowed down and do hickup animations all the time. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

From what I've seen so far interrupt is pretty much guaranteed.

You get a roll ranging from around 20 up to over 90 (I guess it's a 100 dice roll as with attack rolls) which get's ADDED to your base interrupt value, so even without Mourning Gloves the lowest interrupt I have seen so far was over 80, with gloves it's almost 100 guaranteed (just sart a fight with HoF), but crits also give you +25 and it is super common to roll a 90+ if you crit (is there a fixed bonus on your roll if you crit, too?) so 180 interrupts happen all the time.

The sad part about this (or awesome whichever way you look at it) the concentration does not get a roll which is added on top of the base concentration so unless the base concentration is 100 (which not many enemies seem to have) it is impossible to not get interrupted, but even with an enemy that has 100 concentration, all you need to do is roll over 20 (and/or crit) and you will still easily interrupt.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

Yeah, but concentration starts a lot higher than interrupt. No defense in the game gets to do a roll on top of its value. It's always a dice roll against a static defense. Same with interrupts. There are also quite some abilites/spells that increase concentration or RES a lot. But the enemy AI doesn't use those a lot (except Spirit Shield and Holy Meditation which I see quite often - sometimes even Crows for the Faithful which will give you stackable +75 concentration).

Buffing interrupt is not that easy. There's only a talent and late game items and the bonuses are not that high.

Edited by Boeroer

Well before late game this will not be viable solo so much is for sure, but then again solo hitting high level is not that hard with intelligent use of stealth. ;)

I only tested around with console so far, but this interests me so much I'm pretty certain I will start a real run soon.

I've tested a wild Orlan at first for max PE but found it weak to stun and getting interrupted itself.

(It was still insanely strong but upscaled Stalwart Ogres were quite a pain since Carnage hits a lot less of them due to their huge circles and canoneers hitting pretty hard.

(Darzir also has 105 concentration).

I'm now trying an Island Aumaua with Periapt and if it works vs Magran's and Brynlod then I'd be inclined to say the interrupt barbarian is as strongt as a chanter solo, if not stronger. :) (all endgame ofc, not that a chanter really shines before lvl 9 unless you abuse the invocation exploit)

Anyway the longest interruption prize is won by shatterstar or there are other contenders?

After a quick search: maybe mosquito rapier can be an interesting contender, 0,85 sec interruption but on a fast attack speed ( vs the avarage of hammers or 2 handers). But ofc the dmg sucks and you have not other benefits.

Alternatively there is also the vile loner lance or the morningstars...

But overall i still bet that a double godshantyur or godshantyur + shatterstar will be a better alternative... Stun on top of the interrupts add a lot of value... The hammers are also pretty easy and relatively fast to acquire in a solo perspective...

Edited by Dr <3
  • Like 1

I once built a Chanter who managed to permanently interrupt even the toughest foes in the game by dual-wielding Shatterstar and the Vile Loner's Lance. He was pretty fun but didn't get all the necessary tools until level 13 (where The Champion Braved the Horde Alone became available). Dual-wielding a War hammer and Spear also looked really silly, though you could probably replace the Lance with Godansthunyr if you pumped up Dexterity.

• Like 1

All Godshantyur, the Lance and Shatterstar are real good for this, i ended up using the first two, since Shatterstar doesn't give anything on top of interrupt and the Lances Disorienting is quite good.

My experience with the console created Barbarian showed me that the true strength of the Barb lies in oneshotting with HoF tho, as Kaylon showed a long time ago vs Magran's Faithful and while interrupting is kinda nice a build solely focusing on it over damage is bad. (You will still have massive damage with a 10 base Mi barbarian but a maxed Mi barb is superior).

My idea is to just go for max damage but use the interrupt/stun weapons anyway (and interrupt talent) since it doesn't take too much away from the damage.

It will definitely be helpful till HoF which is pretty late with level 11 even for a solo.

I will start a proper solo run tomorrow and report my findings here. :)

(I suspect you'll have to use a small shield in Act 1)

Shatterstar is also annihilating which is the perfect addition to Godansthunyr's stun. Godansthunyr in the offhand will result in stuns (with HoF or Barbaric Blow) and then Shatterstar will follow, crit stunned (and maybe some more) with increased crit damage.

If you have Merciless Hand, Dungeon Delver, Azalin's Helmet, Shatterstar and do Barbaric Blow (also +0.5 crit damage) you will not do +50% damage on crit, but instead +150% + stun with the first swing and +200% with the second swing which is neat.

Guarding (also Shatterstar) is not needed on this barb, but it's the perfect weapon for a dual wielding fighter in my opinion. ;)

The good thing about this increased interrupt value on certain weapons (mostly of backer origin by the way) is that it doesn't count as enchantments and this doesn't take away enchantments points (or slots - however you want to call it).

• Like 1

And crit chance. Since Carnage gains +1 ACC per level you can crit quite often at higher levels if you also take Accurate Carnage and Weapon Focus.

But an interrupt build is usually also a good crit build - since you want to have PER as high as possible anyways. Also, crits don't happen as often as interrupts. For example against the Elmshore ogres Godansthunyr is not enough because their fort is very high. But they get interrupted like everybody else. There's also no immunity to interrupt, only high concentration.

• Like 3

Wow, One stands alone actually already makes the barbarian seem better than the paladin.

Also the fact that you have endless hp makes endurance regen pretty awesome.

Atm I have Gaun's Share + Mosquito + Veteran's Recovery + Savage Defiance, but I might actually drop Veteran's Recovery.

Or I go for Tall grass, but no idea how good crits are with 58 Acc. :p (Level 5)

What do you mean with "better than the paladin"? In which way?

The non-flanking part is realy good - if you care about deflection and loss of endurance at all. ;)

Tall Grass is nice because you can place Carnage, Barbaric Blow and HoF better, but of course HoF is way more powerful with two weapons (if you don't kill your main target with the first swing - because then no second swing will follow: always initally attack the sturdiest target with HoF when dual wielding).

I did an Ultimate attempt with a dual wielding hammer barb with Vet Recov. and Savage Def. and so on and it went really well. I got killed accidentially by a bug (Second Wind triggers Battle FOrged on yourself, killing you when endurance is low).

The fat health pool is not an obvious advantage in the beginning, but with every level he gets more meaty until heatlh really isn't a problem.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

What do you mean with "better than the paladin"? In which way?

Tall Grass is nice because you can place Carnage, Barbaric Blow and HoF better, but of course HoF is way more powerful with two weapons (if you don't kill your main target with the first swing - because then no second swing will follow: always initally attack the sturdiest target with HoF when dual wielding).

I did an Ultimate attempt with a dual wielding hammer barb with Vet Recov. and Savage Def. and so on and it went really well. I got killed accidentially by a bug (Second Wind triggers Battle FOrged on yourself, killing you when endurance is low).

I meant for soloing the game a barbarian level 5 seems better than a paladin because of nice high hp defense combined with Aoe damage and healing.

A paladin has better deflection and reflex (reflex only if you use w+s style ofc) but takes too long for many trash fights and his hp suffer which mean you must rest or use potions.

I wouldn't keep Tall grass for HoF ofc, but barbaric Blow might actually be better with it (it kinda sucks dual wielding at low level :p).

I just realized Shatterstar is in Defiance bay tho, so I might just start my interrupt build now. :p

(I already have Mosquito, only need tot ake the talent at 6).

• Like 1