The most Fearsome, the most Terrible Monster of all Time!

While playing RPGs like PoE and others, what is the most dreaded and feared monster (real or imagined) you'd never want to encounter in any adventure?

Is it the mind sucking illithids? cute rustmonsters? the first cave bear?  or some white rabbit with gory fangs?  share if you like :)

My Answer spelled backwards:  nogarD suonitaleG

// Maybe a developer can pick up this question for an 'Ask the Devs session on an update someday, that'd be cool!'

While playing RPGs like PoE and others, what is the most dreaded and feared monster (real or imagined) you'd never want to encounter in any adventure?

Is it the mind sucking illithids? cute rustmonsters? the first cave bear?  or some white rabbit with gory fangs?  share if you like :)

// Maybe a developer can pick up this question for an 'Ask the Devs session on an update someday, that'd be cool!'

trick question.  answer is as follows: a cheesed off dm/gm. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Those giant sea monsters with giant maw that swim up from the depths and swallow your entire ship. No seriously this has been my phobia since childhood when we sailed the local archipelago during summer break. If something like that happens in the game I'll loose my excrement.

Those giant sea monsters with giant maw that swim up from the depths and swallow your entire ship.

Do you mean Charibdys from the Odyssey?)

Indeed, it looks there is no reliable way to keep the hull intact, unless one can make his ship fly or use some sort of reactive fuel #seadrift

Wouldn't a blade barrier or somesuch work against that? I'd imagine that the best solution is to avoid melee if at all possible.

Rust monster. Something that destroys your equipment is going to be very terrifying indeed. I suppose Unique items will be immune, and in PoE1 there was lots and lots of spare equipment laying around, so it wouldn't be all that awful. In BG1 I remember you could lose your (non-magic) weapon randomly in the middle of the fight because it breaks. In the first scripted interaction in PoE1 you can also lose your weapon. So as long as it's not taking your rare magic items it'll be fine.

Second would be well scripted AI. Have enemies use their most powerful abilities at the start of the fight rather than giving you the opportunity to neutralize them or cast defenses. Have them not kill their own party members. Have paladins use their deprive to take down your best and longest-lasting defenses. Have them use their liberating to cancel long-lasting afflictions rather than ones that'll end before they finish casting. I remember fighting large groups that included several druids, priests and wizards with 6th level spells that simply neglected to use their strongest spells.

• Like 2

Rust monster. Something that destroys your equipment is going to be very terrifying indeed. I suppose Unique items will be immune, and in PoE1 there was lots and lots of spare equipment laying around, so it wouldn't be all that awful. In BG1 I remember you could lose your (non-magic) weapon randomly in the middle of the fight because it breaks. In the first scripted interaction in PoE1 you can also lose your weapon. So as long as it's not taking your rare magic items it'll be fine.

Oh no... Did you play ADOM by any chance? That game had rust. Both from rust monster and when you swam or were a target of a water attack you had a chance to get rust on your weapon, which if not fixed would cause it to break.  

It seems PoE2 moves toward unique weapons (from what I understand you can enhaced basic properties, but you want be creating whatever weapon you want from scratch) so without a way to farm for those it might not be a great idea to destroy them. 

Rust monsters aren't terrifying moreso than infuriating and fun-killing. If I remember correctly in Dark Alliance 2 they could consume unique items as well. Similarly I recall a kind of creature in Shadows of Amn that could consume magical items (nishruus, maybe, or something similar), which was pretty annoying not least because it led to weird bugs with these where activatable abilities would get broken, items would become invisible and unequippable and the likes. But again, not so much scary as frustrating.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Shapechangers like the FRs Maulagrym would be nasty.

Looks like a bunch of Xaurips but when the party approaches they spawn into dark, nasty critters. Each one spawning into something different/random. Would make for some crazy encounters.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

The Tarrasque took one look at Durance's mother and dumped a massive fiery load out its arse, then ran off. That's how that Godhammer thingie got started in the first place. The rest, as they say, is herstory. :-

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This is easy, the mighty Tarrasque! Very few players ever defeated the one in the Oasis in ToB.

Huh... I don't recall encountering it? Or am I missing on a joke?

A DnD joke I think. The Tarrasque is supposed to be the most powerful monster in the DnD universe (and spinoffs), so legendary that it's legend is legendary. It's like the Grue or something.

• Like 1

Huh... I don't recall encountering it? Or am I missing on a joke?

Its an oooollld joke. I didn't expect many people to get it. Its not anywhere in ToB. ​Or is it...

But the Tarrasque​ is an actual D&D monster that in early editions could only be killed by extraordinary means, and then a Wish spell, and in current editions it cant even be killed. 

• Like 1