What Book(s) or Author would like to be turned into a game?

EbonyBetty

Lovecraft

Crpg (don't care if turn based or rtwp)

Set in the Victorian England 1800s. A group of reg people (cops, doctor's, artists, musician, etc etc) get tied up to try and foil the evil scientist (Mr jeckle/Dr Hyde) who has teamed up with Mr Smiley and have them face all the old school monsters from the black n white horror films (Dracula, werewolf, it came from the deep lagoon, etc) and make them lovecraftian monsters.

I'm a backer for this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/description

Once it comes out I'll let you know how it is :)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

The problem with any game attempting to be true to Lovecraftian themes is that you already know from the start that you're going to die in the end after going horribly insane and probably killing your family in the process.

....and the problem with that is?

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Lovecraft

Crpg (don't care if turn based or rtwp)

Set in the Victorian England 1800s. A group of reg people (cops, doctor's, artists, musician, etc etc) get tied up to try and foil the evil scientist (Mr jeckle/Dr Hyde) who has teamed up with Mr Smiley and have them face all the old school monsters from the black n white horror films (Dracula, werewolf, it came from the deep lagoon, etc) and make them lovecraftian monsters.

I'm a backer for this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/description

Once it comes out I'll let you know how it is :)

Please do!!!

I wonder if a video game can be made for the book: Like Water for Chocolate. It's a wonderful book about a young Mexican woman trapped by her overbearing mother and the only way she can escape is through cooking. Her cooking is so good she can influence people's emotions who eat it or send them on almost a LSD type trip through her memories. I think that would make a great point-n-click story driven puzzle game.

Edited by EbonyBetty

Karl May, well everything except stories set in North America. :)

Man, I loved the Kara ben Nemsi stories as a kid.

Personally I would love to hike around Jack Vance's Tschai (from "Planet of adventure"). Maybe as a first person Torment-type story heavy game...

Edited by marelooke

I'm not sure that books can be made into good games, if the developers attempt to recreate them to the letter. And gameplay mechanics tend to break the lore (e.g. wizards in LotR MMO).

I think, turning a PnP game into a computer one, and then writing books about it (like DnD) is a better option.

I'm not sure that books can be made into good games, if the developers attempt to recreate them to the letter. And gameplay mechanics tend to break the lore (e.g. wizards in LotR MMO).

I think, turning a PnP game into a computer one, and then writing books about it (like DnD) is a better option.

Good point. Perhaps I should have specified what book/author would you like a video game to be influenced by. Because if the video game is based off the book word by word, the gamer who has read the book would know all the answers and ur rite some thing in a book can't be translated to video games just like the silver screen. However there have being video games that have followed the book's timeline while still been flexible with the source materials like Pillars of the Earth, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and to a lesser extant Shadow of Mordor (aka you can very much walk into Mordor). 

Edited by EbonyBetty
  • Like 1

Why would you make a book into a video game? What you do is make a video game within a book IP.

• Like 1

There are no playable wizards in LotRO. You have runekeepers who are more like tricksters and scholars. Even the healers are minstrels and instead use music to raise morale, which is the LotRO version of health.

Sven Hassel's WW2 books could be base for a neat RPG about morality, camraderie, darkest humor around and the horrors of war.

There's also an interesting nut to crack on how to make a war RPG about the soldiers that has more to it than fighting and trenches.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Good point. Perhaps I should have specified what book/author would you like a video game to be influenced by. Because if the video game is based off the book word by word, the gamer who has read the book would know all the answers and ur rite some thing in a book can't be translated to video games just like the silver screen. However there have being video games that have followed the book's timeline while still been flexible with the source materials like Pillars of the Earth, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and to a lesser extant Shadow of Mordor (aka you can very much walk into Mordor). 

Thanks for clarification.

I think, Discworld (by Terry Pratchett) would make an interesting setting for a city builder/simulator (with Ankh-Morpork as the most challenging city to maintain).

Wheel of Time.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'd imagine mostly books with interesting settings so that other stories can be told inside them, which is why Jack Vance was the first author that came to my mind.

A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, Hyperion duology by Dan Simmons, and Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

Forever War would be a first person shooter. This idea amuses me since it's an anti-war novel (a truly disturbing novel that should be required high school reading), and most FPS games seem to glorify war.

A Fire upon the deep would be more of a family of games. An space ship arcade flight sims for sure since this book has the most bad ass space battle I've ever ``seen". It also has the greatest ``scene" of flying away from something that would probably kill you.

The planet, to boast about it's power and wealth, built it's city floating above the surface. This comes falling apart while an invading fleet is coming in. They are faced with the dilemma of the fleet or the debris, so they fly down into the debris. Its so epic just thinking about it is bringing tears to my eyes. Literally. Not as a figure of speech.

The rest of the book could be either a C or A RPG. Could be make either way. Again, the author was going for epicness of epic proportions so when the **** hits the fan, it's just amazing.

Hyperion... How would I do that one? There isn't really any combat, so if it was a CRPG it would end up like Torment: Tides of Numenera. I'd be fine with that, but most wouldn't, so I'm going to go with point and click adventure. Maybe with some quick time stuff like in Indigo Prophecy.

I'm not sure that books can be made into good games, if the developers attempt to recreate them to the letter. And gameplay mechanics tend to break the lore (e.g. wizards in LotR MMO).

Good point. Perhaps I should have specified what book/author would you like a video game to be influenced by. Because if the video game is based off the book word by word, the gamer who has read the book would know all the answers and ur rite some thing in a book can't be translated to video games just like the silver screen. However there have being video games that have followed the book's timeline while still been flexible with the source materials like Pillars of the Earth, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and to a lesser extant Shadow of Mordor (aka you can very much walk into Mordor). 

Thanks for clarification.

I think, Discworld (by Terry Pratchett) would make an interesting setting for a city builder/simulator (with Ankh-Morpork as the most challenging city to maintain).

Lol. Yeah, but each time it burns down you can quickly rebuild it using oiled kindling, so it's no big deal.

Edited by nstgc
  • Like 1