Gaming Mice

Hawke64

Broke my old mouse, Razer DeathAdder. Got (had for a few years, but haven't used actively) a new one, Razer Mamba. Remembered why I used it rarely, when my hand started to hurt. Mamba feels too flat, compared to DeathAdder.

The question - is there a gaming mouse, similar to DeathAdder (form + buttons + software), except another edition of it?

Edited by Hawke64

Bought a Nexus fan controller, and they demand that you create an online account to log stuff and such. Annoying to say the least.

I don't know about Razers software and such, but you could look at logitech MX, I think it's about the same form.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Razer, they wanted me to create a cloud account just to get the remapping software. Threw mine out and went back to Logitech.

Gaming mice are such a ripoff. I wish there was a workhorse mouse with a 10 button keypad. 

speaking of mice, i often hear people bashing on Trust as a cheap, low quality manufacturer of peripherals but the best mouse i ever had was a Trust that i bought for 30 euros back in 2005 and it worked fine until 2012. a very sturdy thing with loads of programmable buttons and a very well made interface for making the buttons do literally everything i wanted: set a button as a particular key, set it as press once and it stays pressed until pressed again, set it as a macro to auto press itself at set intervals, set it as a macro to activate a series of keyboard keys in a sequence and so on... and it also had an internal memory that stored 3 profiles in the mouse itself to be switched at will with the press of a button.

when the wheel of that mouse stopped working in 2012 i tried desperately to find another of the same model but there were none. in 2013 i decided to give up and look for another mouse, so i got a Sharkoon that barely lasted 2 years before the cheap plastic axis of the mouse wheel broke (the trust mouse had a metal axis on the wheel). now i have another cheap mouse that is a bit sturdier but it too started showing signs of losing functions in a mere 2 years of use.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

mouse with a keypad? what sorcery is this?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Wired, 16,000dpi. They're expensive but if you require auracy, this is the only way. You could go wireless but it's insanely expensive.

On the otherhand, if you can do trackball, a 4,000dpi trackball is equal to a wired 16,000dpi laser mouse at a 4th of the price. Why? Simply because trackball aren't as in high as demand but are still the number one thing for artists so.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The only use I've had for trackball mice, is in situations laking the room for a conventional mouse; trackballs don't move their base, and don't need a mousepad.

I've never found them useful in drawing or illustration software, nor for use in 3D modeling.  It is not always practical (or at least it can be very awkward) to hold a finger button (as 'opposable' to a button pressed with the thumb) while moving the ball; and if you then add in that you are making an arced stroke with (without benefit of a software French-Curve assist)... it becomes neigh impossible to draw with accurate lines using a trackball.

Edited by Gizmo

A 4,000dpi will do well against 16,000-20,000dpi competitors...

Just to give you an idea of how I mean:

Of course, you would have to be comfortable to pm ay like this but nonetheless.

But yepper, usually low-density trackball are far more accurate from drawing than a mouse... While I do not do so, I'm guessing it probably is because one draws with a pen/pencil with their thumb as the lead and not their palms such as a regular mouse would simulate.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I tried using a trackball for comfort/pain management purposes, but found that it was just not good enough for quick and precise movements and that I'd rather take the pain. I have recently moved to a so-called "vertical" mouse, and it's a real cheap thing too (the Anker), but having now used it for the past couple of months, I will probably never go back to a traditional mouse.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 3 years later...

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Programmable-Buttons-Switches-Profiles/dp/B00GU4F4OM/

because "everyone" said it was the smallest gaming mouse and might work for my small hands. But nope, it's still too "fat"/wide for my liking. Although it would be usable/isn't too large, it's still a bit uncomfortable and side of my thumb would hit the side buttons when I didn't want it to, too often. 

So it sits in a drawer unused, like many other peripherals and I just use a tiny Amazon Basics mouse. 😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, Zach15 said:

Logitech mice are pretty nice. Especially the g502 hero. It has programmable buttons and adjustable weights as well.

I ownd the g502 hero wired version, and I'm pretty happy with it, while I'm all for adjustable buttons and programmable weights, the one thing that is rarely mentioned is that you can have the mouse "wheel free roll". And the button for it is easilly accessible. 👌

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm a complete weiro gaming with a trackball. :wowey:

microsoft-trackball-explorer.jpg

I love this Microsoft Trackball Explorer so much that after I broke my original one and then found out that they stopped making them years and years ago, I scoured ebay and paid double the original price to get another one. I can't stomach the idea of using anything else. Then again, I'm a weirdo.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

14 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Programmable-Buttons-Switches-Profiles/dp/B00GU4F4OM/

because "everyone" said it was the smallest gaming mouse and might work for my small hands. But nope, it's still too "fat"/wide for my liking. Although it would be usable/isn't too large, it's still a bit uncomfortable and side of my thumb would hit the side buttons when I didn't want it to, too often. 

So it sits in a drawer unused, like many other peripherals and I just use a tiny Amazon Basics mouse. 😛

This Razer Deathadder I have is too small for me, and looks quite a bit smaller than the one you got recommended to you, which is weird considering I did zero research on the matter. 😆

30 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

This Razer Deathadder I have is too small for me, and looks quite a bit smaller than the one you got recommended to you, which is weird considering I did zero research on the matter. 😆

Looks a bit longer and taller, but a little less wide. Depends what their measuring points are tho. The RedDragon I bought had a weird widening downward slope to the sides that made it feel wider then a from-top measure if that makes sense. I basically can only stand something the size of what are known these days as "portable"/"laptop" mice. 4.5" or less long, 2.5" or less wide and less than 1.5" at highest point. Hence the Amazon one.  :lol:   https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Button-Wired-Computer-1-Pack/dp/B005EJH6RW

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The G700 is probably the worst mouse I've ever bought. It was on a fairly steep discount to be fair, and I was still playing MMOs at the time so the extra buttons had some appeal. Unfortunately the battery life was measured in days at best, compared to months (or even a year) for my previous MX1100 or at least weeks for my current MX Master. Probably something to do with an increase in polling rate because of the "gaming" factor, but I've never cared about that. Nowadays the extra buttons just get in the way, and the shape, while similar to most other Logitech premium mice, is marginally less comfortable than I'd like. I think the bottom end is maybe just a bit too bulbous, same as how I feel about PS4 controllers come to think of it.

I quite like trackballs too, I use them with laptops whether it be at work or at home. I think the association comes from my first experience with a trackball being on my dad's 66MHz Compaq laptop back in the day. These days I've found the ability of the current Logitech MX Ergo trackball to be invaluable in my bedroom HT setup, as I need to control both the NUC and the laptop pretty much at the same time, and being able to switch between them at the touch of a button is godly. Before that, I had two separate but identical trackballs for them (the venerable M570) which was more than a little confusing.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G