Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Andromeda - The End...

Mass Effect Andromeda Support DLC Solo Franchise

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 269 posts

Switching sets was very unwieldy, since it put all your powers on cooldown, leaving you with just your guns. It didn't bother me that much when I played a combat-focused Ryder, who had a lot of powers with no cooldown and a lot of points in the weapon passives. But when I began a playthrough as a power-focused tech/biotic Ryder, it was very inconvenient.

I'm not sure what the intention was, really. Were they worried we'd spam combos and mix-and-match powers freely? If so, that was overkill, especially since combos are weaker than in ME3. Were favorite sets supposed to be on-the-spot retraining, rather than sets of powers within the same "build"? If so, then just like Belle Sorciere said, three powers are just too few for single-player. I think just giving us a power bar with eight spots on it, to be filled with whichever powers we buy, would have worked better.

evilcat

evilcat

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 477 posts

When one hero dies, another will rise.

There is a market for games below 1mln and 1-10mln. Which could look better than anything before, and be just as complex.

Lack of Bioware crpg is significant, But Vampyr and Elex looks fine.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There is a market for games below 1mln and 1-10mln. Which could look better than anything before, and be just as complex.

I agree 100% about when one falls, another will rise. I have no doubt that if Nintendo and Sony died off that another console company would rise as well.

However, we have a safety net now that didn't exist 10 years ago and that is "crowd funding". If Bioware went bankrupt or close to it, they'd just do a fundraiser and go that way. No worries.

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1362 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I agree 100% about when one falls, another will rise. I have no doubt that if Nintendo and Sony died off that another console company would rise as well.

However, we have a safety net now that didn't exist 10 years ago and that is "crowd funding". If Bioware went bankrupt or close to it, they'd just do a fundraiser and go that way. No worries.

No they won't - they are owned by EA and if they go in the red, they will be just renamed to EA something something and assimilated into the borg- I mean EA corp fully

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No they won't - they are owned by EA and if they go in the red, they will be just renamed to EA something something and assimilated into the borg- I mean EA corp fully
Well then, even moreso, it's very possible EA could do some lay offs, slamming the door at any moment... if EA did this, the people out of the job would start a new company. Same team but independent and crowdfunding games ajd possibly a few new people to help things as well. I think the games would be much better than anything they've put out in the last 15 years.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3041 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, too late. IIRC, from original Bioware staff, there are like 2 people still working at EA. All others have left long time ago...

Correct me if I am wrong.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1819 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well, too late. IIRC, from original Bioware staff, there are like 2 people still working at EA. All others have left long time ago...

Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, when Black Isle was being closed down you had the CEO Feargus go off and create Obsidian for the others to gather round.  With Bioware, the owners have already left and they didn't create a new company, rather they left the gaming business as a whole (I suspect EA had non-competition clauses or something put into their contracts or golden handshakes).  Beamdog is the closest thing Bioware has to Black Isle's Obsidian but something about them really puts me off...

EDIT: As for Bioware doing a fundraiser, I sincerely doubt anyone would fund them.  Crowdfunding is for indie developers and mid-tier developers trying to make their own games, not for megacorps to find extra revenue streams for them to bathe their genitals in.  They wouldn't need the money, they would need to convince their owners not to rebrand them as others have said.

Edited by FlintlockJazz, 27 September 2017 - 01:19 AM.

• Jozape likes this

evilcat

evilcat

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 477 posts

Bioware probably dont need to be fundraised, EA overlords cover that one thing. Fundraising games, and then filling them with loot-cases... that would be a new level of decadence. It seems that new Bioware child is more massive online action, which dont have to be a bad thing, since Warframe is a fun game (if you like genre).

As for interesting projects: there is also Cthullu and GreedFall, and Wasteland 3. Some games which may be fine.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16957 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

". If Bioware went bankrupt or close to it, they'd just do a fundraiser and go that way. No worries.          "

BIO isn't a company. It's a division. It can't really go bankrupt in that way.

"EDIT: As for Bioware doing a fundraiser, I sincerely doubt anyone would fund them. "

Actually, I'm guessing plenty would. Even the awful nu BIO games still sell millions.  They would fundraise quite  abit of moolah. As much as it takes to make a    AAA game/ Likely not. But they'd have no problem funding a million+ EASILY.

• Azdeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1486 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
I'm surprised AAA publishers haven't attempted to capitalize on crowdfunding yet, to be honest. At least as a way of gauging interest in perhaps "less safe" ideas that they're not sure about.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8577 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ubisoft did the crowdfunding deal with Might & Magic X, I believe.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2294 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Square Enix as well.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2443 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Andromeda is now available on EA and Origin access. Though if you have either of them then I'm guessing you've likely already bought it. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, Andromeda is now available on EA's subscription service which runs about 5 bucks a month or 30 bucks if you go in for a year, if I'm remembering the prices correctly.

In summation, you can basically rent Andromeda and a slew of other EA games for a month for a fiver.
  • Jozape and evilcat like this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3041 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
Still too expensive IMO :p
  • ShadySands likes this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
In less than a year it went to Origin Access. -_-'

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2294 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not that surprising if they're expecting to make money from the multiplayer stuff. You can guarantee that won't be covered by the EA Access fee. MEA also quite clearly doesn't have the reputation required for 'proper' sales to have a long tail and if you're buying it now it's for the dollar equivalent of only a few months of EA Access anyway.

• Jozape likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8577 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Didn't Battlefield 1 start on Origin Access? Is Battlefront 2 going to be there as well?

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1917 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Nope, but I think it got to Access like 6 months down the line.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2294 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

IIRC you're both right.

BF1 is there now, mostly for the MP of course. Keeps player numbers up and some of those players will buy extra MP stuff for money. Pretty sure that BF1 was also on Access before release, as part of their hype/ beta program. Definitely a time limited version though, since it was a beta/ test.

Edited by Zoraptor, 12 October 2017 - 02:05 PM.

evilcat

evilcat

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 477 posts

I dont get it, from one side EA is Palpatine of gaming industry, on the other side this origin access sounds as fair deal. 5$ to rent selection of games as it was netflix.

If you play game just once it is cool.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mass, Effect, Andromeda, Support, DLC, Solo, Franchise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users