Terror attack in Barcelona

Darkpriest

Teknoman, are you a student of Islamic studies? You just seems to have a lot of information on the subject and seem pretty confident about its accuracy. I would certainly not consider myself an expert in this stuff.

as i said, my grandfather lived for years in the middle east when he was young and he read it because it was necessary for living without getting into trouble due to ignorance. he still has a copy written in arabic and most of what i know is from my discussions with him on the subject. 

some of what i say is what my grandfather said to me about islam and some are educated guesses based on what i know.

fact 1: islam teaches that there is no free will, allah decides everything so your actions are by his will (the description of it is more extensive and detailed with exceptions and examples but that's the general rule)

fact 2: studies show that taking any action without feeling the pressure of having to take responsibility for it, removes most if not all inhibitions.

deduction: Muhammad had an understanding of human psychology and how to use it to manipulate the minds of his followers.

Thank you for sharing where your perspective comes from.

I'd challenge your facts. They are really more interpretations and opinions.

Teknoman, are you a student of Islamic studies? You just seems to have a lot of information on the subject and seem pretty confident about its accuracy. I would certainly not consider myself an expert in this stuff.

as i said, my grandfather lived for years in the middle east when he was young and he read it because it was necessary for living without getting into trouble due to ignorance. he still has a copy written in arabic and most of what i know is from my discussions with him on the subject. 

some of what i say is what my grandfather said to me about islam and some are educated guesses based on what i know.

fact 1: islam teaches that there is no free will, allah decides everything so your actions are by his will (the description of it is more extensive and detailed with exceptions and examples but that's the general rule)

fact 2: studies show that taking any action without feeling the pressure of having to take responsibility for it, removes most if not all inhibitions.

deduction: Muhammad had an understanding of human psychology and how to use it to manipulate the minds of his followers.

Thank you for sharing where your perspective comes from.

I'd challenge your facts. They are really more interpretations and opinions.

based on what my grandfather said, what we usually see is the public face of islamic culture, designed to look peaceful and inviting and is the face adopted by diplomats and people in tourist rich areas. the moment you step out of the tourist zones, you see a very different behavior by the people and the other face of their culture - the one underneath the mask.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

based on what my grandfather said, what we usually see is the public face of islamic culture, designed to look peaceful and inviting and is the face adopted by diplomats and people in tourist rich areas. the moment you step out of the tourist zones, you see a very different behavior by the people and the other face of their culture - the one underneath the mask.

Sadly I'd say that is not unique to Islam, but is rather common in many positions of power. 

Sadly I'd say that is not unique to Islam, but is rather common in many positions of power. 

it's not about people in positions of power, it's the shop owners, the restaurant owners, taxi drivers and pretty much everyone who lives and works in a place full of tourists. they are all polite, educated, friendly and such, but the moment you step out of the area of touristic  interest, you see that everyone is polite and friendly to each other but totally hostile to the outsider and as for education, most don't know much of anything besides reading and writing with mannerisms that look like those of someone who never lived in a civilized environment before.

at least this is what he saw back in the 50s when he lived there and some who have been there more recently claim that they had the same experience as soon as they left the tourist friendly zone.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

it's not about people in positions of power, it's the shop owners, the restaurant owners, taxi drivers and pretty much everyone who lives and works in a place full of tourists. they are all polite, educated, friendly and such, but the moment you step out of the area of touristic  interest, you see that everyone is polite and friendly to each other but totally hostile to the outsider and as for education, most don't know much of anything besides reading and writing with mannerisms that look like those of someone who never lived in a civilized environment before.

at least this is what he saw back in the 50s when he lived there and some who have been there more recently claim that they had the same experience as soon as they left the tourist friendly zone.

Isn't that true of a whole lot of tourist friendly zones? Rio de Janeiro would be a good example, it's not exclusive to muslim countries.

• Like 2

Ha. Muslims aren't nice outside of "tourist-friendly" zones?

Well, here you don't even have to step outside of touristic areas to find locals openly rioting against tourists

Guess it must be the legacy of Al-Andalus or something.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.