Terror attack in Barcelona

Darkpriest

My believe in the bible is irrelevant here. People read the bible and believe in god. They claim he is a good  being who loves everyone including children yet in the very book that praises him  he is mass murdering children so how can people worship a god that  so coldly murders his children and it is simply accepted a spart of 'mysterious plan?

It is one of the (many) reasons why I'm not religious.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

With talk like this, I really don't get why there is so much tension between the Islamic and Western world. We are building strong bridges with a foundation of understanding here.

as i said: i don't judge people, i'm just stating facts about what the doctrine of islam is and while i have no way to verify their authenticity, there are a bunch of data suggesting that the majority of muslims are convinced that following the quran to the letter is the best way of life and all should embrace it.

bridges can be built but considering how vastly different western and islamic cultures are, doing it requires a vast amount of mutual concessions... so many in fact that one or the other will quite possibly lose its identity.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

as i said: i don't judge people,

Uh huh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Uh huh.

well, i judge Muhammad for making the brainwashing machine called islam but what may seem as a generalization on the people who follow that faith, is more of a comment on what that faith demands of them and how these demands force on those who come to the west a choice between compliance with their faith and casting off part of their faith for integration into a society that rejects most of what their faith asks/permits. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Uh huh.

well, i judge Muhammad for making the brainwashing machine called islam but what may seem as a generalization on the people who follow that faith, is more of a comment on what that faith demands of them and how these demands force on those who come to the west a choice between compliance with their faith and casting off part of their faith for integration into a society that rejects most of what their faith asks/permits. 

ISIS acts exactly like Muhammad did, 1300 years ago. Which makes Muhammad a both progressive and pragmatic leader of his time.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

well, a brief summary of islam would be "live like the prophet did". the problem is that many (ISIS being the best example) take that extremely literally. 

-Teknoman2-

well, a brief summary of islam would be "live like the prophet did". the problem is that many (ISIS being the best example) take that extremely literally. 

Then again, a prophet is merely a messenger of a gof, and which religion is not "like god told us to"?

And everybody knows

in most religions "god told us to do X" is purposefully left abstract so they can shape it depending on the situation.

jesus said "love your neigbor" but he never said anything about the guys in the next town. it's left up to interpretation whether they are neighbors or not.

islam on the other hand is very precise and detailed

love your fellow muslim but not the infidel. if you meet infidels do the following

1. try to convert them of their own will

2. force them to convert by enslaving them

3. if conquest is not possible, settle in their lands and outbreed them

4. if all else fails, just start killing them until they submit and convert or are exterminated.

-Teknoman2-

Uh huh.

ISIS acts exactly like Muhammad did, 1300 years ago. Which makes Muhammad a both progressive and pragmatic leader of his time.

ISIS is not in any way progressive or pragmatic? They are an aberration of the Islamic scripture, they are utterly brutal and anachronistic. Their interpretation of Islam has no place in the year 2017 and the only way to address these concerns is to annihilate them. The good news about most ISIS fighters is there belief in martyrdom means they generally fight to the death which means its much easier to address the ISIS residual impact from countries where they are active in 

I must be  misunderstanding you about saying "ISIS is progressive  group" 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I thought he was exactly pointing out how it's a progressive movement only relative to it's time, hence inherently anachronistic. But because it's tied to the will of the creator, it's interpreted as an ever enduring progressive movement by it's believers.

I thought he was exactly pointing out how it's a progressive movement only relative to it's time, hence inherently anachronistic. But because it's tied to the will of the creator, it's interpreted as an ever enduring progressive movement by it's believers.

Okay I see what you mean, you could be right

Except the ideology of ISIS is clear on certain things and what they believe. They dont consider themselves progressive in any way, they see themselves as a group who is actually following the Koran in its true, literal definition

But the reality is they are selective about they believe about the Koran. All their atrocities they commit they justify in this way

But the core belief of ISIS is strict adherence to there religious view of Islam...the idea of a progressive objective is irrelevant to them :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Uh huh.

ISIS is not in any way progressive or pragmatic? They are an aberration of the Islamic scripture, they are utterly brutal and anachronistic. Their interpretation of Islam has no place in the year 2017 and the only way to address these concerns is to annihilate them. The good news about most ISIS fighters is there belief in martyrdom means they generally fight to the death which means its much easier to address the ISIS residual impact from countries where they are active in 

I must be  misunderstanding you about saying "ISIS is progressive  group" 

ISIS does not interpret anything, it follows the quran word for word as it was meant to be followed when written in the 7th century.

others may use interpretations to diminish the anachronisms of islam, ISIS just rolls with the vanilla version.

this form of extremism will just keep happening until somebody scraps the old version and makes a remake and convinces people that the remake is to be followed as the original.

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-

Uh huh.

I must be misunderstanding you about saying "ISIS is progressive group"

"Which makes Muhammad a [progressive] leader OF HIS TIME"

His time was 1300 years ago though.

And everybody knows

Uh huh.

I must be misunderstanding you about saying "ISIS is progressive group"

"Which makes Muhammad a [progressive] leader OF HIS TIME"

His time was 1300 years ago though.

in a certain way though, he was progressive!

other religions used only the most primal means of control and manipulation of the faithful: fear of god. but fear works only as long as ignorance is the norm.

Muhammad used a pretty well thought out array of psychological tricks that messed with the minds of the followers in much deeper level than simple fear. he absolved faithful of all responsibility for any action they committed as long as it was against infidels and freedom without responsibility breeds evil as demonstrated by modern psychologists. he used tricks similar to what Hittler later used to weed out dissidents. he used mass psychology of the kind that governments and corporations use today to turn what was considered morally and/or legally reprehensible to the new, universally accepted normality; and more. under that point of view, he was many centuries ahead of his time

-Teknoman2-

Have you read the Koran?

Was that for Teknoman? I haven't. I have an English copy and I've read some parts of it, but it's pretty thick. Of course, I wouldn't claim to have read the bible, either. I grew up reading passages out of it and have probably covered all of the NT at some point or another, but I've never really sat down and studied it from page to page as an adult. I've read a fair share of religious history books, but I'd never call myself an expert on theology. A hobbyist at best.

That's why I was curious about Teknoman's education on the matter. 

Have you read the Koran?

Was that for Teknoman? I haven't. I have an English copy and I've read some parts of it, but it's pretty thick. Of course, I wouldn't claim to have read the bible, either. I grew up reading passages out of it and have probably covered all of the NT at some point or another, but I've never really sat down and studied it from page to page as an adult. I've read a fair share of religious history books, but I'd never call myself an expert on theology. A hobbyist at best.

That's why I was curious about Teknoman's education on the matter.

No, that was for you. I thought you teach comparative religions or something like that, so I thought you might have read it.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

noone died, again, no side stories, nothing

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Teknoman, are you a student of Islamic studies? You just seems to have a lot of information on the subject and seem pretty confident about its accuracy. I would certainly not consider myself an expert in this stuff.

as i said, my grandfather lived for years in the middle east when he was young and he read it because it was necessary for living without getting into trouble due to ignorance. he still has a copy written in arabic and most of what i know is from my discussions with him on the subject. 

some of what i say is what my grandfather said to me about islam and some are educated guesses based on what i know.

fact 1: islam teaches that there is no free will, allah decides everything so your actions are by his will (the description of it is more extensive and detailed with exceptions and examples but that's the general rule)

fact 2: studies show that taking any action without feeling the pressure of having to take responsibility for it, removes most if not all inhibitions.

deduction: Muhammad had an understanding of human psychology and how to use it to manipulate the minds of his followers.

-Teknoman2-

Teknoman, are you a student of Islamic studies? You just seems to have a lot of information on the subject and seem pretty confident about its accuracy. I would certainly not consider myself an expert in this stuff.

as i said, my grandfather lived for years in the middle east when he was young and he read it because it was necessary for living without getting into trouble due to ignorance. he still has a copy written in arabic and most of what i know is from my discussions with him on the subject.

some of what i say is what my grandfather said to me about islam and some are educated guesses based on what i know.

fact 1: islam teaches that there is no free will, allah decides everything so your actions are by his will (the description of it is more extensive and detailed with exceptions and examples but that's the general rule)

fact 2: studies show that taking any action without feeling the pressure of having to take responsibility for it, removes most if not all inhibitions.

deduction: Muhammad had an understanding of human psychology and how to use it to manipulate the minds of his followers.

The Quran wasn't written by Muhammad though.

And everybody knows

The Quran wasn't written by Muhammad though.

It was written by Allah if you go by the Quran. It was lived and spoken(written) by Muhammad and scribed by his followers if you go by history. Initially the accounts were committed to memory through the oral traditions of the region. After Muhammad's death the Quran was compiled fully in written form by his followers and peer reviewed by the umma. They didn't have paper, so the Quran was first scribed on bone, stone, wood, and hide. Eventually contact with China introduced paper. The hadith additionally contain an isnad which is a lineage of transmission through reputable scholars for means of authentication.