Update #39 - From the Feed of the Director Part III

Greetings adventurers! We're back with another episode of 'From the Feed of the Director.' This time we have a few surprises for you, as we look into our internal Obsidian blogs and pull out only the juiciest insights. You'll also get some information on some of the things that Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Game Director, Josh Sawyer, has shared on social media as well, for the gadfly-types among you.

In this video (all footage is work-in-progress):
  • "This ship's wheel is too darn big!"
  • Bombs of the Deadfire - to throw, or not to throw?
  • Guns Work Best When You Line Up and Everyone Shoots at Once, by Ulysses S. Magran
  • Dancin' and barfin'
  • Yes, Josh's cat is in the game again

In our next video, Josh is going to explain the multiclassing and subclassing systems while showing them off in the game. And yes, you will see multiclass names!

We also want to remind everyone that Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition is coming to consoles in just a couple of weeks! You can pre-order now for the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One and explore Eora from the comfort of your couch as of August 29th.

Thank you for joining us and we'll see you in a few of weeks for Update 40!

In case you missed out on exploring Neketaka, check out our last update!
  • Like 15

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

No Josh cameo this time around :(

Very good-looking animations and VFX, though! Looking forward to the multiclassing and subclassing update!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Kinda offtopic for here, but, what's the story behind Sesame being really sick? I've seen Josh's instagram pictures of her with the 'collar of shame' and a bandage (or cast?) around her body, so I know she was sick at one point, but I didn't see any mention of what happened, at least in the pictures I did look at.

No Josh cameo this time around :(

Probably for the best.  Having an older boss-type-guy repeatedly get caught gazing creepily at a young woman who he (presumably) supervises is probably not the kind of image that the company wants to be projecting to the public. 

In our next video, Josh is going to explain the multiclassing and subclassing systems while showing them off in the game. And yes, you will see multiclass names!update[/url]!

Looking forward)
  • Like 1

Anyone else notice the bombs rolling in place on the ground? It looks a bit odd.

lol, yup, I hope they'll fix that before the final version.

Those firing squad effects are awesome. I've never been much of a gun guy, but that makes me want to create a Napoleonic era British army party.

PS Once again, why aren't we getting backer emails anymore? Or is it just me?

Edited by Heijoushin

Anyone else notice Eder lighting up just as the poison bomb goes off, almost like he's going "Oh yeah, I love the smell of poison in the morning!"  :D

Firing squad is awesome, and I glee'd at pistol and sword combo being possible.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Projectile vomiting sounds good, reminds me of Theme Hospital (and absolutely no late nights... at all!!1!). Can it be used as a weapon? :D

Take that, you bastard!

*enemy takes acid damage*

Haha, ever since I learned there were ships in this game I was thinking it would be funny if your character could become sea sick and vomit everywhere during a fight.

• 4 weeks later...

It's almost a month since last update... any chance we will know more about multiclass soon?

Josh Sawyer mentioned in a tweet (along with a teaser to tide us over) that they were delayed a little by the Pax conference (which was last weekend). So, supposedly this week? *shrug* They don't have a set schedule for the updates.

I'm so happy to see that there is a real animation budget for Deadfire.

But I dunno, I've seen more developer interaction in Eternity, I'd like to see you guys more on these forums.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'm so happy to see that there is a real animation budget for Deadfire.

But I dunno, I've seen more developer interaction in Eternity, I'd like to see you guys more on these forums.

With the last game I think they needed more of a heading, and part of the first crowd-funding deal was very backer driven content. Now certain design decisions have been established, and I think the devs have a good understanding of how to foist up PoEs mechanics seeing as they actually made the first game not us. Plus they probably want to test out some ideas of their own and leave more as a surprise.

I'm sure they are quite busy working and socializing amongst themselves, so I'd rather us be their resource rather than the other way around.