Sounds like a nice idea for proficiency modal: ability to switch between one and two-handing a weapon (be it longsword or the proposed sabre).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Uh that isn't a two handed saber, it is just a sword with a single edge curved blade and a two handed grip.  Plenty of them out there in history too that do not call themselves "two handed sabers" see the Kriegsmesser for example.  I other than a fancier grip, and no fuller, the sword you linked is basically identical. 

Seriously google the word Saber.  There is no "two handed" version.  Just be careful to filter out all the anime.... sigh.

Sounds like a nice idea for proficiency modal: ability to switch between one and two-handing a weapon (be it longsword or the proposed sabre).

No dice.  The Saber/Sabres in Eternity have grips that are going to make sure you are using them one handed.  Also Obsidian should just stick to their guns, if you want to use a sword two handed get a great sword or an estoc.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 5

@Karkarov: Katanas maybe? They're usually wielded two handed, but a skilled samurai could wield it one handed. Still though, the only similarity katanas have with sabres is that they're single bladed and curved.

I agree though that they should stick to what classes they have. However, doesn't stop them from adding new forms to each class. Remember, they said that the sickles will go into the hatchet class.

Edited by smjjames

I agree though that they should stick to what classes they have. However, doesn't stop them from adding new forms to each class. Remember, they said that the sickles will go into the hatchet class.

Agreed. By all means make a great sword that looks like a kriegsmesser*, but we don't really need a new weapon class for it. If it's a unique weapon it could even have the Sharp property associated with it (+20% damage) and lose the Piercing as a damage type, but it should still be grouped under the Great Sword Proficiency.

*In fact, if you're reading this Obsidian, do do that. Kriegsmessers look awesome!

• Like 1

Could be cool for a modal ability to let you use longswords with either one or two hands.
Two hands = more damage, more accuracy.
One hand = less damage (though more than a single-handed sword), less accuracy, ability to use another weapon or shiled with the other hand.

Don't be that guy :p

Most people don't know/care about historical sword details and as far as they can tell, saber = sword. I'm pretty sure what OP meant when saying "saber".

And I also think people back in the day when swords was a thing didn't care about names either. They said sword and meant any sword. they said saber and meant any sword too. It's HEMA geeks and modern day historians who made this "categories" up.

Also, this isn't a historical game :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

As a bit of an aside note, I don't really mind it if Pillars were to introduce a few weapon types that are fictional and only existent in the world of Eora. So long as it makes martial sense, of course.

Like a swiping status effects broom?

• Like 3

Uh that isn't a two handed saber, it is just a sword with a single edge curved blade and a two handed grip. Plenty of them out there in history too that do not call themselves "two handed sabers" see the Kriegsmesser for example. I other than a fancier grip, and no fuller, the sword you linked is basically identical.

Seriously google the word Saber. There is no "two handed" version. Just be careful to filter out all the anime.... sigh.

No dice. The Saber/Sabres in Eternity have grips that are going to make sure you are using them one handed. Also Obsidian should just stick to their guns, if you want to use a sword two handed get a great sword or an estoc.

Concerning grips in PoE.... it is only a picture of a weapon that shows you the grip. Easily fixed with a new pic.

I am fan 'historical sense' in the games I like to play. Two hand sabres doesn't fit the bill for me. But single or dual handed Katana or Scimitar like weapons would be an excellent addition as would bastard sword types.

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Don't be that guy :p

Most people don't know/care about historical sword details and as far as they can tell, saber = sword. I'm pretty sure what OP meant when saying "saber".

There are also people, that don't care for historical realism, but just have played a lot of RPGs and are able to differentiate sabre - scimitar - yatagan - machete - cutlass - sabre

/stopping being that guy  :grin:

No dice. The Saber/Sabres in Eternity have grips that are going to make sure you are using them one handed. Also Obsidian should just stick to their guns, if you want to use a sword two handed get a great sword or an estoc.

Personally I don't care much what to swing at the enemy. I could easily use a stylish shovel if it had the right penetration stats to pay respects to the villains of Deadfire.
  • Like 1

A two-handed saber is basically a short pole-arm. There are several asian cultures from Mongolia to Japan that have variants of two-handed sabers, mind you they mounted it on a pole roughly a yard long because someone using a normal saber two handed looks really stupid and is a good way to get yourself killed.

• Like 1