Honestly I don't have much of an issue with the new portraits, sure they are different, but I can still see Eder and Aloth through their pictures and their personalities still seem to come through. However I will agree that Pallagina's portrait is a little to zoomed in and making it look a little too aggressive. Yes, she is a serious and focused person, but... I just feel like I wouldn't want to use Pallegina in my party for fear of having those eyes just glaring at me from the screen for hours. 

While I was at it I decided for Eternity 2 maybe I will finally try to cut together a custom portrait for my character.  So enjoy this mish mash of Jason Seow plate armor, combined with a very customized Heodan (who I always used in the Vertical Slice :p)

Feel free to use it if you want, or play with it at your leisure.

35647127423_45630748e3_o.png

35647127333_234c212e07_o.png

• Like 10

While I was at it I decided for Eternity 2 maybe I will finally try to cut together a custom portrait for my character.  So enjoy this mish mash of Jason Seow plate armor, combined with a very customized Heodan (who I always used in the Vertical Slice :p)

Nice work!

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Nice work!

Agreed!  Stolen!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Pallegina definitely looks like she's laying an egg or something

Well she's an Avian Godlike and she has feathers... maybe Avian Godlikes actually do lay eggs :p

And since Godlikes are sterile we know its safe to have them for breakfast!  Great reason to bring Pallegina for the road, omelettes for the road!

Okay guys, congratulations.  You made me waste time on my day off.  I have no created a "portrait comparison image".  Kark, what the heck is the point?  I am glad you asked Kark.  Let me explain.

1: Why change the portraits for the 3 companions to begin with?  Maybe doing a comparison image will shed some light?

2: Are the new portraits "that" bad?  Comparing them directly without having to image swap is the best way to check.

3: How well do the new companion portraits match up, do we think they are good just because we have no reference?

Here is the pic.  I have the "Eternity 1" portrait on top, dropping to a screen cap of Eternity 2 portrait, ending with the "watercolor".  Please bear in mind, the screen caps on top look higher quality because they are raw, base, losses versions of what you see in game. 

36223019152_c9a3ddfb9f_o.png

The ones I captured off videos were recording from gameplay, converted into compressed video files, uploaded to youtube, then screencapped on play back, and finally reposted to the internet so I could put it in thread.  Each step in that line costs image quality.  I touched it up as best I could to close the gap, but there is only so much you can do.  This is why I included the PC portraits too from Eternity 1, cause they didn't change, and give you a clear example of what quality loss happened.

My conclusions -

1: They were changed because when you really look at them all side by side you see two problems.  They really aren't in the same style as the other portraits, they are just slightly more scratchy, watercolory, and blurred.  This is really clear on Aloths portrait.  Also Pallegina may no longer be a five sun, and her portrait clearly indicates she is a member, so they may have wanted a more generic look.

2: No, they aren't.  I still prefer Eder's original, but this "he doesn't look the same" is nonsense.  He has maybe put on a few pounds and is a little older.  They are clearly the same guy, and the new one looks more consistent with the other portraits.  I actually prefer Aloth's new one anyway.  Pallegina.... yeah I agree it could still be better.

3: Nope, they hold up fine, they look consistent with Eternity 1 player portraits, and have good quality.  The lack of Eternity 1 versions is a non issue.

Dude, that is awesome work, thank you and sorry for wrecking your day off.  You're right about Eder, I think its just the pose gives me very Minscian vibes since he also posed like that, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Looking at Xoti's portrait, does anyone else feel that the hood seems not quite right?  Like, her face and the hood are two separate pictures pasted together kinda thing?  Or am I just seeing things?

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

• 3 months later...

2I4Cue5.png SoOKZ7p.png N28KhZO.png

These are the full portraits of returning companions... looks like Pallegina might have gotten tweaked a little, not 100% sure. She and Eder still look different from the PoE 1 versions, however I'm trying to judge these new portraits on their own merits and I have to say they look pretty amazing. Great work by the artists.

Just hope they don't go for the en face style again in future games as the thumbnails end up looking a little crazy.

• Like 4

I think new characters' portraits look nice, while returning characters' portraits somehow got worse than the originals. Maybe it's because of the different angle, but they barely resemble themselves from the old portraits. 

I think new characters' portraits look nice, while returning characters' portraits somehow got worse than the originals. Maybe it's because of the different angle, but they barely resemble themselves from the old portraits. 

I still prefer the old portraits, but I don't think the quality or style got worse. Just the likeness is a bit "off." It's more noticeable if the first games portraits are fresh in your mind.

• Like 2

Maia: perfect portrait, her serious looks illustrates her country culture perfectly, and note how she is looking down on us, like she is superior, ha! She will be quite a character.

Pallegina: nope, just ugly, it has nothing to do with her personality like the old one - where she was serious and the player would be looking from a lower angle -, but it's not a big concern, we can just replace it with the old one.

Xoti: perfect portrait, her smile and eyes can tell you her whole personality. I bet she will be a funny and calm lass who likes to drink.

Éder: it's a good portrait, what people don't realise is that Éder is much older now, it has been 5 years since PoE 1.

Serafen: perfect portrait, wild eyes, the front angle works perfectly with his personality it's like he is contronting the player, and that smirk... he is definetely more of a true neutral character.

Aloth: I think it's better than the old one, the old one had an image of him with an energy ball, the first time I looked to it I tought "oh... he must be a young wizard looking for power", but he wasn't... the new one has him looking behind him, showing us his true nature, a careful lad.

Takehu: Hahaha, this giant will be a big joker, just look at him, perfect portrait.

• 5 months later...

Man these Pallegina complaints are uncomfortably reminiscent of "smile more" comments directed towards women. And especially women of color.

The idea of calling her ugly is laughable, she has extremely idealized features and literally flawless skin.

Edited by Fiaryn

Honestly, Pallegina looking angry would be cannon for my playthrought. It's perfectly in character for her to stay salty throughout my whole playthrough after my character gives ger a [clever], a la sarcastic Hawke style, response after having not seen her for however many years (which I hope is possible :p)

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

There is something offish about Eder's portrait, I'm not saying it looks bad but he looks different from the first game.  It could simply be the direction his face is looking, but he gives off a bit of a Minsc vibe now strangely enough, a blonde pipe smoking Minsc.  Also looks older though that may be intentional.

Well, it's really because Eder in PoE1 was Max von Sydow, and Eder in PoE2 is Matt Mercer.

am instantly replacing Pallegina portrait with her POE1 one, differance in quality is just massive IMO and am planning to have her as my main tank cause Eder will be more of a DPS fighter/rogue in my first playthrough, rest of the portraits seem fine.

I liked Pallegina's Rihanna-esque portrait from PoE1 as well. What gets me about the new one isn't that it's different per se, but that it doesn't even match her in-game model.

• Like 1

You guys should probably be aware this thread is ancient and basically every companion portrait has been updated since this thing started.  Including Pallegina.

Maia: perfect portrait, her serious looks illustrates her country culture perfectly, and note how she is looking down on us, like she is superior, ha! She will be quite a character.

Pallegina: nope, just ugly, it has nothing to do with her personality like the old one - where she was serious and the player would be looking from a lower angle -, but it's not a big concern, we can just replace it with the old one.

Xoti: perfect portrait, her smile and eyes can tell you her whole personality. I bet she will be a funny and calm lass who likes to drink.

Éder: it's a good portrait, what people don't realise is that Éder is much older now, it has been 5 years since PoE 1.

Serafen: perfect portrait, wild eyes, the front angle works perfectly with his personality it's like he is contronting the player, and that smirk... he is definetely more of a true neutral character.

Aloth: I think it's better than the old one, the old one had an image of him with an energy ball, the first time I looked to it I tought "oh... he must be a young wizard looking for power", but he wasn't... the new one has him looking behind him, showing us his true nature, a careful lad.

Takehu: Hahaha, this giant will be a big joker, just look at him, perfect portrait.

> Xoti: perfect portrait, her smile and eyes can tell you her whole personality. I bet she will be a funny and calm lass who likes to drink.

your soul