I had the opposite problem in that I was annoyed my grimoire wasn't visible when casting because my Wizard used a bow.

I always liked the way Spellbinders in DAI floated their tomes in front of them:

Macrinus_HoDA.jpg

I didn't, since in Dragon age magic doesn't need any verbal or somatic components to be performed, those guys to me just looked silly. 

I had the opposite problem in that I was annoyed my grimoire wasn't visible when casting because my Wizard used a bow.

I always liked the way Spellbinders in DAI floated their tomes in front of them:

I didn't, since in Dragon age magic doesn't need any verbal or somatic components to be performed, those guys to me just looked silly. 

The codex for Spellbinders states they bind spirits into their books as a special form of spellcasting (which to me reads "we really wanted to do the spellbook animations and had to come up with something", but I digress).

But more on topic I wouldn't mind a floating Grimoire animation, at least if you're a wizard not using magical implements, just so you could still see your grimoire.

Reading a book is something that should be done outside combat. If a Wizard can't remember or memorize their spells beforehand they should lock themselves in a study until they do. In combat, any hit they take should be an instant kill while they have their eyes on their books instead of the enemy.

Suppose I'm the odd one out but I liked the grimoires and books.  Gave them a nice touch and wanted to customise their appearance more.

Reading a book is something that should be done outside combat. If a Wizard can't remember or memorize their spells beforehand they should lock themselves in a study until they do. In combat, any hit they take should be an instant kill while they have their eyes on their books instead of the enemy.

The books are used as conduits in Pillars, to channel the energy through.  I guess by your logic all druids, wizards, and priests should be insta-killed while casting for concentrating on forming the spell and not on the enemy either, and everyone else should be insta-killed whenever they try to use a scroll or drink a potion.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Speaking of the grimoires, I really, REALLY hope that we get to rename the grimoires...

Back ontopic, I wonder if we'll see that apprentice of Concelhaut who was trying to perfect weapon summoning. After all, she speaks of returning to her home island and she is Island Aumaua despite the bluish skin coloration.

• Like 1

Back ontopic, I wonder if we'll see that apprentice of Concelhaut who was trying to perfect weapon summoning. After all, she speaks of returning to her home island and she is Island Aumaua despite the bluish skin coloration.

Wait... Was there a way to not kill them all?

---

We're all doomed

Wait... Was there a way to not kill them all?

Uariki

She doesn't seem to mind the intrusion, and stays peaceful as long as you don't threaten her. If you've previously talked to Tanoss and tell her that he asked you to kill her, she asks you to kill him (and the other apprentices) instead. If you do this for her, she rewards you with a scroll and some potions.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

It's not great if you leave it as it is,

but if you want to play a melee wizard with a ton of MIG, great crit chances and story talents for crits (Doemenel's Merciless Hand, Dungeon Delver) and also use Citzal's Martial Power (abilites like Grimoire Slam and Arcane Assault are NOT blocked by Citzal's Martial Power - same as spels from spellbinding gear) it becomes a good 1/encounter attack. That's because it has really decent base damage and thus profits a lot from dmg bonuses like from MIG and crits. I don't think it works with Savage Attack and Apprentice's Sneak Attack though, but I maybe wrong.

I used it on a monkish unarmed wizard once who made heavy use of Citzal's Martial Power (because of the weird mechanics of Novice's Suffering - also used all the touch-based spells) and it was fine.

Edit: quick calculation:

- Base damage is 20-30 or 25 on average (like Firebrand or Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff).

- with 21 starting MIG, +4 from Maegfolc Skull, + 4 from Abydon's Hammer, +8 from Martial Power you get +81% damage
- with a crit + Merciless Hand + Dungeon Delver + Rabbit Fur Gloves you would get +100% damage.

So Grimoire Slam would do 56,2 - 84,3 (average ~70) on a crit with a lot of fuzz. :) Don't know it it's worth it, but it's not that bad if you can spare the talent point (like I could).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I've always hated the fact that summoned weapons in tabletop were super cool, then became kind of "meh" when they jumped to CRPGs.

I wish people would follow the likes of Dragon's Dogma, which has a spell called Brontide, which has your Mage/Sorcerer pull a bolt of lightning out of their palm, Voltron-style, then carry it around by the end while it's crackling all over the place (and generally just behaving like an actual lightning bolt, and not just some whip that HAPPENS to technically be magical and also deal lightning damage), then just swing this crackling bolt around like a giant whip, electrocuting all in their path. It's channeled, for what it's worth, so that it exists as long as you have the stamina (functions like mana in most games) to maintain it.

And, especially in a game like Pillars, with its very specific time "costs" for various actions, I'd really love to see summoned weapons have a certain number of uses/attacks, like Guild Wars 2's summoned weapons. It would even be nice to see them grant unique abilities for their duration, like in that game. Maybe they start with no extra abilities, just basic attack, but they gain these. *shrug*. But, GW2 even had certain abilities on these summoned weapons cost more "charges" than others. So, if you had a lava axe, you could throw it for like 1 charge, or just attack for 1 charge, or you could cleave a swath of fire into the ground with it for like 4 charges, and you only had something like 10 charges with each summon (a very easily adjusted number, so this is just an example).

Food for thought. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u