Hey, I recently thought I would challenge myself and play through POE as a physical mage whom uses summoned weapons (Draining staff, Warding Staff, BlackBow, spear, etc.) And so far have been having a decent time, mostly in thanks to suggested builds on forums like this one. 

Any who, one complaint I had about the weapons was that I felt that there wasn't much variety. The spear didn't seem very visually striking and both staffs had the exact same design, despite different levels and effects. So with the ability to Multi-Class in POE2, which opens up a lot of options for close range mages (fighter/paladin/monk class mixes). 

So now that it might be more than just a gimmick build now, do you have any ideas for summoned or mage buffed weapons? I personally would like to see some more visually striking designs. But what do you think? Different designs, effects or upgrades? Let me know. 

• Like 1

I'd love a rapier that floats out in front of you a descent distance, and you mock jab and slash with your wand to maneuver it. The sword would have a strong engagement effect with strong disengagement penalties for the enemy. It'd actually be great if this wasn't actually summon but a dual wielding modal (preferentially) or perhaps long duration spell. You equip a wand and a one-hander and you get basically ranged melee combat.

• Like 1

The BG2 kind is just another summoned creature. I like how it was implemented in IWD2, where it really acted as a long range melee weapon.

I'm not following the distinction you are making. Iirc, Mord sword could be clicked and assigned to attack any enemy, near or far. What are you referring to?

The BG2 kind is just another summoned creature. I like how it was implemented in IWD2, where it really acted as a long range melee weapon.

I'm not following the distinction you are making. Iirc, Mord sword could be clicked and assigned to attack any enemy, near or far. What are you referring to?

The difference is a "sword" that acts like any other summoned monster and moves to attack enemies in melee, and a "sword" that is equipped in your character's weapon slot and acts as if your character is using a ranged weapon.

• Like 2

What would you guys think about summoned magical whips? As some sort of "ranged" melee weapons? I mean, it could easily function just like any other melee weapon just with the "extended reach" stat.

Kinda like the laser whip from Johnny Mnemonic (yes, i do realize the difference between sci-fi and fantasy, just replace the laser part of it with good ol' magical flame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeO_vuhMM9o

Edited by Juodas Varnas

About "Summoned Weapons", my only concern is that I won't be able to have :

• Edér - Fighter
  • Aloth - Wizard
  • Pallegina - Paladin
  • Xoti - Priest

& Me, as a Rogue/Cipher, casting the "Ripping Knives" Spell on myself...

I had this Class Combo in my head since the Multiclass Feature was announced, thinking this will be sooo cool ! 

But Evil Josh told me that the system doesn't allow this, because Ciphers cannot target themselves...  ;(

Josh Sawyer - Game Developer : 

• Like 1

What would be the advantage of a summoned armor? That it's a lighter than plate while having the same protection value I suppose? And (better) conversion of crit->hit->graze? Sounds nice I have to say. Never thought about that, but it makes sense if we look at all the cool summoned weapons wizards can have.

Basically things like Iron Skin, Woodskin and such are a bit like this - without the visuals of an actual armor. I guess what keeps OBS from doing this is that they'd have to create an armor model for every gender/race combination - instead of doing just one model for a summoned weapon. But still: the idea is cool. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

? Really ? In my game I never saw anything (Linux with minimal settings). Aw man!

Ya I am on windows with Ultra settings. Wizards have some cool effects I Think.  Lenegraths defensive spell (the vanilla one) is cool too.  Wizards double etc.

Have gun will travel.

Are you using proprietary drivers?

Yes, I do.

There is a bubble-animation when I cast it but then the blueish bubble is gone and I'm left with no visual effect for the rest of the duration. I don't mind though because I don't like all those fancy-shmancy glowing effects from all sorts of abilities and enchantments anyway.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...

I'd also like to know if Wizards get a proper staff this time around. As in a magical implement with a ranged attack, or some buffs to spellcasting. The little sticks aka wands, rods and scepters just don't cut it.

And hopefully we can hide the spellbook. Holding a huge tome in combat might be "different' and "new" but it's still ridiculous and needs to go. :)

And hopefully we can hide the spellbook. Holding a huge tome in combat might be "different' and "new" but it's still ridiculous and needs to go. :)

Yeah, especially with the option of multiclassing in Deadfire. Just imagine monks/wizards punching people with grimoires or fighters/wizards clutching their grimoires in the same hands they're holding their shields in. Fortunately, the videos they've shown Aloth's idle animations and

do indicate that grimoires aren't around until you need them. That said, I can still see some potential for awkwardness for dual wielders and shield users when it comes time to whip the grimoires back out.