After listening to this:

I wonder why is there no classic guitar in orchestras/PoE soundtrack?

Convention is the best answer I could find, I'm afraid, though others have suggested that the attack and fast decay in the sound of plucked and melodic percussion instruments is another factor that kept them out of orchestras, given the differences in sonic character and so on. Also some have suggested that guitars are generally too quiet an instrument to work within the context of a symphonic orchestra, and would get drowned by the rest of the instruments. There have been a few compositions for guitar and orchestra though, "Concierto de Aranjuez" by Joaquín Rodrigo being probably the most popular of the lot (Toru Takemitsu and Luciano Berio have also done a few, of those that I can recall off the top of my head).

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Aarik, I need Eder, Aloth, and Kana Rua's face photoshopped on to this one stat.

Here you go.

M6mlH29.gif

(BRB.  Gotta clean up desktop littered with "Untitled Project" and "Untitled Image" files.  I guess I'll just throw it all in an Untitled Folder and call it a day. :p  )

… I … am not sure if this is awesome or horrid?…

Thank you.

• Like 3

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

After listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw84aO9P5mw

Several reasons. Guitar is a very quiet instrument. It takes projection and rich sound to contribute/break through a thick sound of an orchestra. Nowadays, there are ways to ampliphy guitar, but classical music tends to rely on natural acoustics.

Narciso Yepes managed to popularise guitar quite a bit, thanks to inventing 10 string guitar and being amazing guitarist.

My personal opinion though - I don't see what guitar brings to the table what other instruments don't. Unless composer writes specifically for a guitarist he will find it easier to use other instruments. Lute was a popular instrument in renesaince as it allowed to create harmonic (chord) background for singers and some amount of polyphony (multiple equally Important melodic lines at the same time). However as we get to baroque harpsichords and organs became much more flexible instruments for writing complex music, while string instruments (violin, viola, cello) made for a better melodic instruments than a guitar allowing to perform both plucked and sustained notes.

More importantly, guitar is a very Spanish instrument and development of classical music was happening mainly in Central Europe. There was little reason for composers in Vienna to use guitar for their music. A lot of later stuff was written on their foundations. You see a lot of references to guitar (Ravel's strings often are to imitate sound of guitar) but as an instrument itself it has not been widely used for centuries.

• Like 3

Will there be actual music in PoE2? PoE1 had no memorable music to speak of, just passive and boring background music, and the same music again and again for combat.

My biggest complain is the combat music. I found it quite annoying. I hope they can have better combat music this time. And also combat music for epic battles. Anyone play Dragon Age Inquisition? The dragon fight and end game battle music is efking awesome.

After listening to this:

Classic guitar is one of my favorite genres, and my favorite "classical" genre. So I'd be very keen to see it make a strong appearance.

• Like 1

After listening to this:

Classic guitar is one of my favorite genres, and my favorite "classical" genre. So I'd be very keen to see it make a strong appearance.

A lute might be more adequate to the time period... Though then again the celesta (I think) was pretty prominent in the first Pillars and that wasn't developed till the mid-1800s either.

Personally I'm not as big a fan of guitars in general (acoustic or electric), so I don't mind their absence. In general my favorite guitarrists are precisely those who can find ways to play the guitar in unorthodox fashion (think Fred Frith, Derek Bailey, Robert Fripp and so on).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden