Glanfathan Astronomers

One thing that has peaked my interest is that apparently the Glanfathans are apparently the best in Eora at astronomy.  Now, as they are supposedly more 'primitive' technology-wise and their spellcasters tended to be Druids instead of Wizards, do people feel that there is a connection between astronomy and the nature-magic of Druids.  Stereotypically, it's usually wizards with all their instruments who are known for star-watching, but the more I think about it the more I realise that it can also be covered by Druids as a part of nature.  After all, wizards are possibly too busy looking into magical theories to waste time looking at blinking lights in the sky.

This makes me wonder, what is astronomy like in Eora?  Do they have both wizards and druids sky-watching and do they follow different techniques to do so?  Like, do the wizards sit in towers with giant mechanical telescopes while druids use eagles or climb giant trees?  Or is it just druids and they use normal telescopes?  Maybe neither really do astronomy and its non-spellcasters who spend all their time sky-ogling?  How do astronomers fit into the grand scheme of things in Eora?

Just thought I would get a lore discussion going regarding lore of the game, particularly that which is hinted at but not really looked at in depth.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

It doesn't even need to be high tech, just people observing the sky for a long time with their own eyes and writing things down and figuring things out will do it. Remember, they're also some of the best mathematicians on Eora.

Real world analogies would be the ancient Maya, Mesopotamia (Sumerians, Babylonians, others), Chinese. Even Stonehenge would have needed quite a bit of observation (and passed down knowledge) to set it up the way they did.

As for wizards and druids, I guess there would be some interested in astronomy, depends on the individuals interests.

• Like 1

If you think about it Galawain (one of the Glanfathan main deities) is also the god of discovery. Galawain may be the god of the hunt/wild places, but he encourages mental growth as much physical - as far as he's concerned, it doesn't seem to matter which of the two you use to win your battles.

Anyway you do have to be pretty smart and cunning to survive among Glanfathan tribes like the Three-Tusk Stelgaer, and mathematical/scientific exercises are probably just as natural to these kinds of folk as strength contests are to the more physical tribes.

Edited by scythesong
  • Like 1

If you think about it Galawain (one of the Glanfathan main deities) is also the god of discovery. Galawain may be the god of the hunt/wild places, but he encourages mental growth as much physical - as far as he's concerned, it doesn't seem to matter which of the two you use to win your battles.

Anyway you do have to be pretty smart and cunning to survive among Glanfathan tribes like the Three-Tusk Stelgaer, and mathematical/scientific exercises are probably just as natural to these kinds of folk as strength contests are to the more physical tribes.

Yep. In one conversation with Galawain at that constellation room in Twin Elms, he views the scientific proccess/progress behind animancy as a form of 'the hunt'.

He'd probably have a pretty good alliance with Wael as far as searching for hidden things, finding secrets, mysteries, etc, though I guess Wael would prefer to have his alliances not be known.

• Like 2

Yeah, Galawain is surprisingly progressive for a nature deity, usually in these settings the nature gods are often opposed to the technology ones so it makes a nice change.  A change that actually makes a whole lot of sense.  And the points about Glanfathan being mathematically advanced and likened to Mayans really make sense to me.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams