Looks awesome but... I don't like the name's they've been giving to things in Eternity. Neketaka? Tekehu? Eir Glanfath?! Really rolls off the tongue...

I'm pretty sure Josh just comes up with this stuff off the top of his head and says 'That sounds cool, put it in'. And then nobody questions it.

nowt

Looks awesome but... I don't like the name's they've been giving to things in Eternity. Neketaka? Tekehu? Eir Glanfath?! Really rolls off the tongue...

I'm pretty sure Josh just comes up with this stuff off the top of his head and says 'That sounds cool, put it in'. And then nobody questions it.

Lol not exactly.  It is all based on language and culture choices.  Look at some real world locations and cities, there are plenty of places in reality that have weird ass names, and I have run into more unpronounceable names than I care to even think about.

• Like 3

He actually appears to have constructed languages (to some degree) and then made names using those rules.

• Like 1

Lol not exactly.  It is all based on language and culture choices.  Look at some real world locations and cities, there are plenty of places in reality that have weird ass names, and I have run into more unpronounceable names than I care to even think about.

Yeah good point wasn't the old Aztec capital called Tenochtitlan. Still not sure how to pronounce that.

• Like 1

nowt

He actually appears to have constructed languages (to some degree) and then made names using those rules.

Yeah, the impression I got is that he has been doing Tolkien-level language stuff for Pillars.  Wouldn't surprise me if they end up releasing a "How to speak Aedyran" book at some point, with a whole actual language in it.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Name a game that did it better.

---

We're all doomed

Are the languages just used for general purpose world building? They arent used in game, and even if they were, 99% of players arent learning a new language, or are they? I guess Im asking, whats the point?

The point is that you feel immersed into a believable world with it's own rich history and culture. 100% of players won't have to learn a new language. Exotic words or in this case I think it's inspired by welsh/celtic words, are a wonderful thing to have in a fantasy game. 

• Like 5

Yeah, the impression I got is that he has been doing Tolkien-level language stuff for Pillars.  Wouldn't surprise me if they end up releasing a "How to speak Aedyran" book at some point, with a whole actual language in it.

I don't think he's going to quite the level that Tolkien did. My feeling is it's more of an outline of what the languages are like: pick one (or a few) real world languages as your base, add in some general rules, construct a small vocabulary and some phrases. I very much doubt they've constructed the entire Vailian language for example.

• Like 1

On a contrary. It seems like Josh puts a lot of thought and research into those things. The downside is that at first it is difficult to remember who is who and what is what - on my first play through I would constantly mistake engwithans with Glanfaths. For exaple Tyranny had much more common names (scarlet chorus, Graven Ashe, Dishonored, Verse) which made it easier t remember who is who. However, the tooltip feature should made it easy to refresh who is who.

The benefit is that the world is... more interesting. I find fantasy at its best when it creates believable and intriguing worlds. Giving foreign cultures well defined... culture helps in giving them depth. No, the names don't roll out of the tongue but learning foreign names is never easy. While Tolkien has become popular enough that many of its locations/characters became well known, I struggled just the same when I read his works for the first time. So was Dune.

So yeah, Pillars might not be the easiest to get into, but it's consistent enough to stay with me after I played it. Smart use of voiceacting meant those foreign names became names and places, not long foreign words I recognise but skim through.

The downside is that at first it is difficult to remember who is who and what is what - on my first play through I would constantly mistake engwithans with Glanfaths.

I do not consider this a downside. The first one or two hours of the game I did not really understand what everyone was talking about. I just stumbled onwards and looked what happened. I had to find out what a biawak is and what it does, who inhabits the land, who rules it, how those factions are related to each other and what their history is in order to progress with the story. I didn't have this feeling since my first gaming experiences 15 years ago. Sadly it isn't very likely that they manage to reproduce that in PoEII, now that we know what everything means and how everything works.

---

We're all doomed

Arkemyr's Manor looks awesome, I hope the associated quest will be great like Raedric's hold was.

I mentioned it in some Spells related Thread, but I hope we'll find some Unique Arkemyr's Spells, in the Library or his Grimoire (pretty sure we wiil get his Grimoire tho).

If I remember correctly, Arkemyr's Spells are kind of "Missiles" related (similar to Minoletta), I think it's the Spell that turns Wizards hands into Dual Magic Missile thrower.

I LOVE that kind of Spells ! Also, I wish there will be some awesome X's Spells (Lvl 20) from Minoletta, Arkemyr, Concelhaut & Llengrath.

Can't wait to see these  :bat:

Arkemyr's named spells in Pillars 1 (Dazzling Lights, Wondrous Torment, Capricious Hex) were debuffs, largely affecting the target's mental state.  (You may be thinking of Kalakoth's Minor Blights.)

I could see Arkemyr being the trickster archmage, with his (her?) manor filled with the kind of traps intended more to confuse, bewilder, and frustrate potential thieves than to kill them. 

The point is that you feel immersed into a believable world with it's own rich history and culture. 100% of players won't have to learn a new language. Exotic words or in this case I think it's inspired by welsh/celtic words, are a wonderful thing to have in a fantasy game.

That's interesting to me because I am the exact opposite. If a word is too weird, my eyes just slide over it without even bothering to figure out the pronunciation. Then my brain will just make up some "close enough" pronunciation and off I go playing. Happens to me in books too. :lol:

• Like 2

Arkemyr's Manor looks awesome, I hope the associated quest will be great like Raedric's hold was.

I mentioned it in some Spells related Thread, but I hope we'll find some Unique Arkemyr's Spells, in the Library or his Grimoire (pretty sure we wiil get his Grimoire tho).

If I remember correctly, Arkemyr's Spells are kind of "Missiles" related (similar to Minoletta), I think it's the Spell that turns Wizards hands into Dual Magic Missile thrower.

I LOVE that kind of Spells ! Also, I wish there will be some awesome X's Spells (Lvl 20) from Minoletta, Arkemyr, Concelhaut & Llengrath.

Can't wait to see these  :bat:

Arkemyr's named spells in Pillars 1 (Dazzling Lights, Wondrous Torment, Capricious Hex) were debuffs, largely affecting the target's mental state.  (You may be thinking of Kalakoth's Minor Blights.)

I could see Arkemyr being the trickster archmage, with his (her?) manor filled with the kind of traps intended more to confuse, bewilder, and frustrate potential thieves than to kill them. 

Yeah, I figured it out yesterday !

Sadly it wasn't the Archmage I was talking about  ;(

But eh, if Kalakoth isn't in Deadfire, there is still hope that maybe he'll be featured in "Deadfire - The Black Isle" Expansion ! Ahah  :yes:

EDIT : On a minor side note, I love the small details you gave to Spells Hotbar.

Xoti / Priest : 1501597335-priest.png

Aloth / Wizard : 1501597342-wizard.png

Druids will probably be Green, & Ciphers... I don't know, Black ?

Something is bogging me by the way, it seems that the Purple / Blue Numbers aren't related to the Number of Spells available under each Lvl.

Maybe it touches on the number of Spells affected by the "Empowered Mechanic"... or something completely different.

It's weird that Priests & Wizards would have the same number of Spells. Grimoire's Slots, if not changed, could store 4 Spells, but Priests have no Grimoire and learn all their Spells at once. And are "Memory Stored"...

We know they've rework Priests Spells but, well... Inquiring minds wanna know.  :huh:

Edited by DexGames

Something is bogging me by the way, it seems that the Purple / Blue Numbers aren't related to the Number of Spells available under each Lvl.

Maybe it touches on the number of Spells affected by the "Empowered Mechanic"... or something completely different.

I would assume the 4 on top of the star is the number of Empowers the characters have left, and the blue/purple numbers are the number of casts per encounter.

• Like 1

I would assume the 4 on top of the star is the number of Empowers the characters have left, and the blue/purple numbers are the number of casts per encounter.

Yep, the "4" definitely is the number of Empowered left (seen in action in Update 36). Not a bad guess on Blue & Purple numbers though, still wonder. ^^

EDIT : So yeah, watched Update 36 again, and it's definitely the number of Spells you can cast.

You can see it in action around 3:54 & 6:15. Even if Aloth has 4 Spells stored, once that number reaches "0", he can't cast other Spells in that category. Here it is if you wanna check it :

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 1

I am very sceptical of the shoplifting feature. I can't remember a game where it worked well. Either it's useless, or it can get you tons of items for free. And it encourages save-scumming.

Ye i think it seems like it could be fun but the extreme version of this was DOS for me where you can jack everything which was dumb. I felt like it ruined the economy and forced you into stealing even if you didnt want to roleplay a character like that so you could buy stuff. It seemed like the devs had to make everything really expensive in DOS to account for players that wanted to steal everything. Then if a player didnt want to steal stuff you were stuck not being able to make money to buy things. So as long as its doesnt seem necessary it could be fun. 

I never stole anything in D:OS. You're not being "forced" into it. Maybe you're just a kleptomaniac at heart? :p

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Ever heard of Haumea, Quaoar, or Makemake?

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That's interesting to me because I am the exact opposite. If a word is too weird, my eyes just slide over it without even bothering to figure out the pronunciation. Then my brain will just make up some "close enough" pronunciation and off I go playing. Happens to me in books too. :lol:

Oh, absolutely. But I am pretty sure that for the most part, the voiceacting is there to introduce the tricky words. The opening sequence does a bit of that. I don't remember ever thinking: "What is THAT?" I do remember thinking: "Wait, who were they again?" every once in a while.