I hope that seedy underbelly of Neketaka has a Mos Espa Cantina-like bar or inn, because I instantly thought of 'hive of scum and villany' when they said that you never really know if that figure in the shadows will help you or shiv you in the back.

The whole thing sounds really awesome.

Also, we see Tekehu for the first time, though you can't see him very well.

Edited by smjjames

Looks great. Like the realistic reactions from citizens but

I may have missed this in other updates but i noticed the transition from outside to inside a building didnt require a loading screen. I know they said they would fix this but glad i saw it here.

Gyagh! All my theories about Tekehu being Galawain comes to a complete halt. Why didn't I see it sooner?

His mark on his forehead, his hair... it's the symbol of the rising sun! (Eothas)

Gosh I'm never going to figure that one out xD

Regardless, it looks absolute fantastic! I couldn't stop giggling when Aloth caused "mischief" and it's really immersive seeing the villagers run around. Watching it a second time now looking for some hidden gems :p (and talking points)

1:35 the Settlement map, all that information on the sides. Why does it feel like it could be subject to change? (Ruler, Population, Religion, etc.) Does the course of action, choices and consequences, faction quests, potentially change the structure of hierarchy and denizens?

2:04 Those little icons for "Intimidate" and "Bluff"(I guess? "Shady"?) are astonishing too! Small details like that are the boss.

2:34 In the shop, the glossy glimmer on those bottles! o.o (like, is it any point saying it? Visually and graphically it looks crazy beautiful, and in combination with the music it really sets a nice atmosphere)

2:56 Flames look really good on those wall torches (pyres?)! Dynamicly so too :D

3:10 Those transparent water sprouts/rainbow arc. Wow!t

3:26 Vegetation <3 and the distant background! :D

.... watching again...... :D

1:12 That spell effect looks so good! Like, all the spell effects look great in that scene!

That's it for now. I'm psyched!

• Like 1

Looks great. Like the realistic reactions from citizens but

I may have missed this in other updates but i noticed the transition from outside to inside a building didnt require a loading screen. I know they said they would fix this but glad i saw it here.

It was actually noticed in the E3 vid, though it wasn't entirely clear if that actually was the case.

Yeah, Bobby Null mentioned that in the original Fig video. They've got a streaming system in place that loads interiors in the background after you enter an area so you won't have to sit through a loading screen each time.

Graphics are absolutely amazing from all standpoints. My only criticism, and bear in mind this is very minor, is that the book that carries scripted interactions looks very flat. I understand this might have been done for readability, but it's still a little jarring to see pages in a tome like that be 100% ruler-flat.

00:49 - The whole scene is lovely per se, but those tables and chairs right under the giant watermill (which is clearly soaking the ground) make no sense! XD

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I am very sceptical of the shoplifting feature. I can't remember a game where it worked well. Either it's useless, or it can get you tons of items for free. And it encourages save-scumming.

Looked like they were just showing how it works, and she wasn't even in sneak mode. Plus, if she had moved to one corner, she'd be outside the hearing range.

00:49 - The whole scene is lovely per se, but those tables and chairs right under the giant watermill (which is clearly soaking the ground) make no sense! XD

Maybe the watermill isn't always on? It does seem rather silly to have the chairs and tables there. Nice spot to get a bit of a soak on a hot day though.

I am very sceptical of the shoplifting feature. I can't remember a game where it worked well. Either it's useless, or it can get you tons of items for free. And it encourages save-scumming.

Ye i think it seems like it could be fun but the extreme version of this was DOS for me where you can jack everything which was dumb. I felt like it ruined the economy and forced you into stealing even if you didnt want to roleplay a character like that so you could buy stuff. It seemed like the devs had to make everything really expensive in DOS to account for players that wanted to steal everything. Then if a player didnt want to steal stuff you were stuck not being able to make money to buy things. So as long as its doesnt seem necessary it could be fun. 

Edited by draego

2:40 - We got life bars now. I guess you can turn them on/off, but I'm curious to see if they are useful or just clutter the whole screen 

Took a look and it looks like only the player character and companions (plus other allies) have theirs show up while the ones for the enemy only show up on mouseover. Pretty good chance that there will be some sort of toggle for it in the UI settings or a hotkey.

Arkemyr's Manor looks awesome, I hope the associated quest will be great like Raedric's hold was.

I mentioned it in some Spells related Thread, but I hope we'll find some Unique Arkemyr's Spells, in the Library or his Grimoire (pretty sure we wiil get his Grimoire tho).

If I remember correctly, Arkemyr's Spells are kind of "Missiles" related (similar to Minoletta), I think it's the Spell that turns Wizards hands into Dual Magic Missile thrower.

I LOVE that kind of Spells ! Also, I wish there will be some awesome X's Spells (Lvl 20) from Minoletta, Arkemyr, Concelhaut & Llengrath.

Can't wait to see these  :bat:

2:25-2:30 There is a non-hostile imp (at least that's what I think it is, could also be a really big flying fox), would be cool to have one of those as a pet.

3:12-3:17 I notice that in each of those alcoves in the baths (two on the bench, one is on the floor in the middle), there is a figure (two are female, one is indeterminate) with strange metallic looking skin. I wonder who those are. I'm undecided if they're constructs like sex-bots (but I don't think Obsidian would neccesarily go THERE, and it's a bathhouse, not a whorehouse), some sort of godlike, or something else.

Edited by smjjames

Looked like they were just showing how it works, and she wasn't even in sneak mode. Plus, if she had moved to one corner, she'd be outside the hearing range.

Oh... kay? They didn't show us much, but I am very much unconvinced by the very existence of shoplifting.

Ye i think it seems like it could be fun but the extreme version of this was DOS for me where you can jack everything which was dumb. I felt like it ruined the economy and forced you into stealing even if you didnt want to roleplay a character like that so you could buy stuff. It seemed like the devs had to make everything really expensive in DOS to account for players that wanted to steal everything. Then if a player didnt want to steal stuff you were stuck not being able to make money to buy things. So as long as its doesnt seem necessary it could be fun. 

I'm assuming DOS means Divinity Original Sin. And yes, that's what the problem usually is. If shoplifting works, it can break the economy. If it doesn't, well, what's even the point? I will hold out hope they'll find a way to make it work. And that refraining from it won't punish us.

Maybe the watermill isn't always on? It does seem rather silly to have the chairs and tables there. Nice spot to get a bit of a soak on a hot day though.

That hotel(?) looks awesome tho, if I were a tourist in Neketaka, I'd stay there.

There is also what seems to be a bascule bridge on that map(00:53), I wonder if its dynamic?

Oh... kay? They didn't show us much, but I am very much unconvinced by the very existence of shoplifting.

I'm assuming DOS means Divinity Original Sin. And yes, that's what the problem usually is. If shoplifting works, it can break the economy. If it doesn't, well, what's even the point? I will hold out hope they'll find a way to make it work. And that refraining from it won't punish us.

Fakk the economy! Let's have fun!

In all seriousness, if shops have good enough items but not the best items I don't think it's gonna mess things much.

• Like 1

What I really hope the case with Neketaka's gonna be is that the city is part of the game from the time you get to Deadfire to the very end. A place where you come and go, things happen over time and they are consistent to the end. THE central settlement of the game. In Pillars (the poor designed) Defiance Bay was only part of the middle game and not with a strong enough presence either.

Neketaka map somehow reminds me of Kirkwall.

Plus Arkermyr's shop, improved graphics and nameplates.

I like it)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1