Update #38 - Exploring Neketaka

Hello everyone! We hope you're ready to do a bit of exploring. Bobby Null, Lead Designer on Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, will be our guide for a tour of Neketaka, the biggest city in the Deadfire. Bobby will not only show off Neketaka's different neighborhoods, but also some new features of the city. Come see what awaits you when you make your own journey to the Deadfire.

You probably can't wait to get your hands on more info about Pillars II after that video. Well, as the video says, we'll be back in a couple of weeks with a look into what Game Director, Josh Sawyer, has teased on social media, which is always fun and enlightening.

A Travel Back

The incredibly talented group, The Travelers, have recently done a cover of "Oldsong" from the original Pillars of Eternity. The arrangement is quite beautiful and we just had to share. Enjoy!

Backer Survey Announcement

We also want to let everyone know that Backer Surveys will be officially ending after October 31st. If your survey is not filled out by October 31st, we can't promise that your content will make it into the game at release -- so please don't wait to submit your Backer Survey!

(Note: While we will still accept surveys filled out after October 31st, we cannot guarantee such surveys will be processed in time for their associated content to make it into Pillars II on release. If you fill out your survey after October 31st, your content may still make it into a game in a patch.)

Thank you for joining us and we'll see you in a couple of weeks for Update 39!

In case you missed it, check out our last update!
  • Like 16

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

WOAW !  :dancing:

Man, seriously the game looks even more awesome than what we've ever seen or expected so far...

The wind effect on palmiers is breathtaking, it's beautiful.

Really stoked by the Graphics in General, damn.

And you took seriously into account the feedback I gave back in the day, and I'm sure many others did, to make more quests like Raedric's. I think we've all agree back in Pillars I, that this quest was THE Masterpiece Quest in the game.

& BAM, an Archmage related Quest, inspired & similar to Raedric's Hold !! Couldn't be happier. 

Awesome Update, it looks f**king gorgeous !

Godsidian is back again.  :bow:

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 1

Lol the antics with Aloth. I'd probably do something more pranky like binding web or something that doesn't do any actual damage. Though I guess if Aloth is feeling mean, he can just use fireball.

Also, Tekehu is in the party in that vid, though we can't see him very well.

And, that seedy underworld sounds like the perfect kind of place for the rogueish monk character that I have.

The whole thing sounds awesome and highly interactable.

Edited by smjjames

Great update. I know you guys had mentioned that the building transitions were streamlined for less loading time, but it was cool to see that when you enter a building, the load screen doesnt come up. Aloth pranks were fun also.

Edited by draego

To say that the game looks beautiful would be an understatement.

The new features also look like they're all kinds of fun!

Love the luminous hair on Tekehu, by the way ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Looking fantastic - I loved the parallax as we went across the high bridge.

Crowd reactions also looking cool.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Second the thought of archmages not being villains. Would be cool if you could become an apprentice yourself (with varying success, depending on class). Maybe even becoming an archmage :D (best thing in Skyrim imo)

Speculating Aloth might have a quest/power up relating to Arkemyr tho.

• Like 1

They are showing too much :p I'd have been satisfied with half of this footage, beautiful. Guess they'll show a lot/let folk play the game at gamescom.

Does this mean magic outside of combat?

Spells other than buffs were always allowed outside of combat. 

Maybe even becoming an archmage :D (best thing in Skyrim imo)

Hah indeed)

Becoming the leader of The Companions, Dark Brotherhood, Mage and Thief guilds appealed more to me, than continuing the main quest (which I never finished) :).

Spells other than buffs were always allowed outside of combat.

There were exceptions)

For example you can't cast Whisper of Treason and a few other non-buffing powers outside of combat.

• Like 1

Maybe even becoming an archmage :D (best thing in Skyrim imo)

Hah indeed)

Becoming the leader of The Companions, Dark Brotherhood, Mage and Thief guilds appealed more to me, than continuing the main quest (which I never finished) :)

Are you me?

I'd love to become and Arch Mage in Pillars. Or at least see Aloth ascend to such heights. Maybe some unique Aloth only spells that he creates at some point.

• Like 3

The views far down are all blurred. It doesn't look bad only when you move. But when you stop and, especially, try to look there (as many would, because people like cool views), then it can feel somewhat disappointing.

Also, in some places the graphics look a little too cartoonish. Like the roof and windows of the mage's mansion at 2:50 in the video. I can't be absolutely sure but I don't think the majority of older players would prefer that. Although I understand it may be too late to change the graphics now. Not that it's game breaking. But it may still be possible to avoid that in the future. 

The views far down are all blurred.

Pretty sure that's on purpose. It's called depth of field and mimics the inability of the human eye to keep everything into focus at all times regardless of its distance.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus