Why do the developers have resolve as the highly recommended stat for Paladins? for RP? cause stat wise its pretty meh.  the difference between a character with 20 resolve and 10 is 10 deflection (if they have same talents) thats not that big of a deal.  Also you can get a lot of will defense from INT which is much more useful to Paladins.  What do you guys think?

Have gun will travel.

I think: both.

First of all for RP.

And second for deflection.

10 Def might not sound like a lot. But the benefit from defenses is subjected to increasing returns. You either invest a lot, in order to get only missed and grazed, and thus make your DR relevant. Or invest just a little, and rely on cc in order to protect your members, and some freeze DR to manipulate the shades' target preference.

• Like 1

They should of changed it though after they changed the AI to ignore your tanks....

Not every AI does.  I have tested this extensively.  Its enemies like Barbarians, monks etc in melee.  Shades and Mind Control Enemies that attack the lowest will target.  But most vanilla enemies that are melee and Dragons go for whoever engages them.

Have gun will travel.

Unless I am mistaken, the faith-thingy for Paladins buffs Deflection less than other defenses?

Ya it does. Still its easy to get high deflection with 10 resolve if you invest.  But what max says makes sense. And after 2.0 when PER lost deflection bonus its REALLY hard to get into the Miss/Graze range against dragons.

Secondary question.  Cautious Attack makes you attack slower.  Does this also slow down your recovery?  Cause that malus gets WORSE for a Paladin as your buffs go out slower.  Its slow enough already wearing plate and a 10 Dex

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Honestly, I fail to see the point of Cautious Attack when you can just pick up the passive Deflection talent instead. Sure, it is just 5 vs. 8 but it comes without drawback.

Yeah that talent always felt like a trap to me. I hope we see less of those in Deadfire.

Honestly, I fail to see the point of Cautious Attack when you can just pick up the passive Deflection talent instead. Sure, it is just 5 vs. 8 but it comes without drawback.

agreed was just curious about the outgoing buffs.  If they are slower with it.    I mean if you get both well that is 8 more deflection you have but the malus sucks.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

For a pure tank, cautious attack, the deflection talent and high resolve work really well. With them you can get an insane deflection score. Though it's better for a chanter than a paladin. Regarding the initial post, I reckon it's for rp purposes. Strength is obvious. Intelligence less so if you consider a traditional d&d paladin, but once you take the POE world and mechanics into account it makes sense.

What other stat would work from a role playing point of view?

Constitution is more of a monk/barbarian stat. I certainly don't think of a paladin when I think of constitution.

Dexterity is even worse than constitution, it could work, but it's not what comes to mind.

That leaves perception and resolve. And resolve as a discipline works better than perception would for a religious zealot.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I feel like Resolve could use some more utility. Maybe if concentration was more important. What if it also increased casting speed (reduced recovery for spells and abilities)? Or if enemies had higher interrupt scores on average. The latter could be rather annoying, however.

• Like 1

Resolve also gets you better dialogue options, because as fun being able to kill everything in your way is it's also nice to be able get the type of results you DO want. Not everyone enjoys unfulfilling quest resolutions/bad endings. The thing about dialogue options is that the best ones are based on INT, PER and RES. Paladins can live without the first two, so RES is a good compromise since it meshes with their all-around melee/mid-range character default role.

It's especially noteworthy that RES gives you a lot more dialogue options than INT and PER - in fact INT and PER usually need to go together just to match RES options.

Also, recommended stat or no you're not supposed to max stats (resulting in a potentially debilitating malus elsewhere) unless you know what you're doing.

Cautious Attack definitely has value for anyone who needs the deflection boost. I'm not sure why it matters that there's an attack speed penalty, given the option between an attack speed penalty and a dragon turning around to attack my character every time he approaches melee range (many enemies are like this - they will turn around to attack targets with lower deflection as long as they're within reach) I'd go with the attack speed penalty, thanks.

Bottomline is that if you're that concerned about attack speed on your particular character then just skip it.

You can just google game mechanics like attack speed if you're unsure of stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/3yi9yp/attack_speed_explained/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86684-mechanics-the-big-attack-speed-conundrum/

There's actually several posts in the forums about the topic, someone even made an online calculator

https://naijaro.github.io/poe-speed-calculator/

Edited by scythesong