It'd be interesting to see the combat system used for other types of encounters, like sneaking around on a dead-line, or outrunning a rolling boulder Indiana Jones style, or evacuating a town before the horde burns it down.

Torment: Tides of Numenera had the right idea with their non-combat crisis challenges, but it was poorly implemented (as was their whole combat system).

As he is refering to "Crisis" system in Torment I don't he does. PoE is a real time game though so I don't see how timed sneaking would utilize combat mechanic. 

While those ideas sound fine they would require some super extra work - special custom AI, heavy scripting, new mechanics. I doubt engine supports it. I am afraid that in such a big game its tough to create those special encounters (therefore rather poor quality of everything in Torment.) Games like Witcher3, PoE, Baldurs Gate tend to develop limited set of gameplay mechanics.

Baldur's Gate used dialogue trees to create quests (tracking down killer, riddles etc.), Witcher 3 had very basic investigation mechanic, which it used for multiple story purposes. I hope PoE will make a much better use of scripted interactions. But I am afraid Starcraft2 unique mission types would be beyond engine and funds of this project.

As he is refering to "Crisis" system in Torment I don't he does. PoE is a real time game though so I don't see how timed sneaking would utilize combat mechanic. 

While those ideas sound fine they would require some super extra work - special custom AI, heavy scripting, new mechanics. I doubt engine supports it. I am afraid that in such a big game its tough to create those special encounters (therefore rather poor quality of everything in Torment.) Games like Witcher3, PoE, Baldurs Gate tend to develop limited set of gameplay mechanics.

Baldur's Gate used dialogue trees to create quests (tracking down killer, riddles etc.), Witcher 3 had very basic investigation mechanic, which it used for multiple story purposes. I hope PoE will make a much better use of scripted interactions. But I am afraid Starcraft2 unique mission types would be beyond engine and funds of this project.

What is "Starcraft2 unique mission types"? I know the game, but haven't played it so I don't know what you're talking about.

Starcraft 2 unique mission types is (I assume) those missions where you just get a single hero with a bunch of abilities (usually including cloak) and have to work your way through an area.

But it would be difficult to balance this type of mission for a party of 6 characters that could be any class. 

Of course, I think a bit of stealth and sneaking should be a valid option at least occasionally. That was the whole point of de-linking killing monsters and experience. It's supposed to allow for more creative problem solving. 

What is "Starcraft2 unique mission types"? I know the game, but haven't played it so I don't know what you're talking about.

By mentioning Starcraft2 I meant to reference unique gameplay mechanics you have mention ("evacuating a village before town gets burned down"). It might be a weird reference but it made sense in my head as SC2 and warcraft3 are the games which did manage to play around with established game mechanics to create unique game modes for missions (protect friendly base, move forward through the map and avoid fire of nova, capture points, destroy village before you enemy does etc. Etc). I can't think of any large RPG which would pull it off (or not be badly made). From what I understand designing engine flexible enough to create those unique scenarios takes a lot of time (not to mention polishing scenarios themselves). I imagine that's why Crysis system from Torment was rather shallow and underused. I can think of one instance when it was effectively used.

Is this like non-joke jokes?

I get what you mean though. Deus Ex HR had an interesting augmentation "Social Enhancer" that totally changed how certain conversations worked. Then you have social interactions like those in Ace Attorney. I definitely think CRPGs could greatly improve their game-play systems outside of combat.