Complaints

Urtar37

Question

There are some big problems with this game that I would like to address.

1. In the physical game you are allowed to choose not to acquire a boon, but you can't in this game. This may not seem like such a bad thing, but when you are at the vault of greed it is a huge problem. Yay! I got a potion of Glibness. bye bye wand of enervation. please make a button that say attempt to acquire boon Yes or no.

2. In the physical game Disrupting rapier +1 get the extra d8 against undead just like the Deathbane light crossbow, not replacing the d4 from discarding it like it does in this game. So when I saw this card I thought it was like it was in the physical game, and replaced my Greatsword with it with Amiri. Is this intentional? Because if it doesn't get fixed, it is a crappy 3 weapon. Can you please fix this because it is such a crappy 3 weapon?

3 Demonbane Longsword???!!! Do you realize how many demons there are in Rise of the Runelords?  Couldn't you have made a +2 longsword that's bane to something else that there's more of like Animals or Giants. Please replace this weapon with something else?

13 answers to this question

My complaint is that it won't let you stock from the basic items. I am trying to complete the pill adventure on Legendary. Only one of my characters can destroy the pill traps (and even that one has difficulty). I would like to give everyone tool bags, but it won't let me. It forces me to resupply from my stash. I am never going to be able to beat this mission otherwise.

My complaint is that it won't let you stock from the basic items. I am trying to complete the pill adventure on Legendary. Only one of my characters can destroy the pill traps (and even that one has difficulty). I would like to give everyone tool bags, but it won't let me. It forces me to resupply from my stash. I am never going to be able to beat this mission otherwise.

Sell everything off from the stash and you will be fine.

i find there's a constant problem with spells and items that read "discard this to reduce damage" just damage, it doesnt say combat damage only, or fire damage only, just damage, and they are constantly being locked out and prevented from being used as defensive gear. please fix this, its quite frustrating to never be able to use amulet of life or protection for garbage reasons that arent explainable.

• Like 1

i find there's a constant problem with spells and items that read "discard this to reduce damage" just damage, it doesnt say combat damage only, or fire damage only, just damage, and they are constantly being locked out and prevented from being used as defensive gear. please fix this, its quite frustrating to never be able to use amulet of life or protection for garbage reasons that arent explainable.

If I had to guess, what you are most likely seeing is the rule:

While encountering a card, each player may play no more than 1 card of each type during each step.

When in a combat check, that "step" includes all of:

• Determine which die you’re using.
  • Determine the difculty.
  • Play cards and use powers that affect the check (optional).
  • Assemble your dice.
  • Attempt the roll.
  • Take damage if you fail a check to defeat a monster.

For example, if you use an item during your combat check, you can't use a different item's powers to reduce damage if you fail the check.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

If I had to guess, what you are most likely seeing is the rule:

While encountering a card, each player may play no more than 1 card of each type during each step.

When in a combat check, that "step" includes all of:

• Determine which die you’re using.
  • Determine the difculty.
  • Play cards and use powers that affect the check (optional).
  • Assemble your dice.
  • Attempt the roll.
  • Take damage if you fail a check to defeat a monster.

For example, if you use an item during your combat check, you can't use a different item's powers to reduce damage if you fail the check.

except thats wrong. if say ezren uses lightning bolt to attack, he can still use arcane armor when he takes damage because attack step and damage step are two different instances. also, the example is that i can't say, stabby with knife or roast with fire and then use sihedron medallion or ammy of life, or x other item that says reveal/discard this to reduce damage. completely different card types to boot. and sometimes its just damage from a trap that doesnt have a tag line saying it cant be reduced. so i'm just stuck taking damage when i shouldnt

if say ezren uses lightning bolt to attack, he can still use arcane armor when he takes damage because attack step and damage step are two different instances.

Combat rolls and damage are the same step as far as the app and tabletop version of the game are concerned.  The reason Mirror Image or Arcane Armor works even when you play a spell, is because they carry the following text which exempts them from restrictions:

"You may play this card even if you have played another spell on this check."

Paizo has a quick note addressing this in earlier editions of the tabletop game.

If you use an item on a check, the same rules apply, and their powers may not be available later if you take damage.

As far as damage reductions go, another thing that causes issues is keeping track of damage types.  Combat damage is a type of damage, not just a way to describe "all damage that occurs during combat."  If you fail a combat check and are dealt Fire damage, that limits what you can do to reduce it.  Cards that address "all damage" or several types get really useful later in the game.

When you are dealt damage, you and other players may play cards and use powers that reduce or otherwise affect the speci c type of damage you’re being dealt. If you’re being dealt Fire damage, for example, you may play cards that reduce Fire damage, or cards that reduce all damage, but you may not play cards that reduce only Electricity or Combat damage. Each player may play no more than one of each card type to affect damage to the same character from the same source. If a card says it reduces damage, with no type listed, it reduces all types of damage.

That being said, I do agree that it would be nice to have some feedback on why a card can't be played.  If the game has already done the calculations to figure out what plays are legal, finding a way to push that info to the player would help clarify a bunch of these issues.

Edit: fixed some things.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

If you fail a combat check and are dealt Fire damage, that limits what you can do to reduce it.  If a bane deals you Fire or Cold damage, the Sihedron Medallion won't do much to protect you because it only works on combat damage.  Cards that address "all damage" or several types get really useful later in the game.

To be fair, it should be noted that Sihedron Medallion works on all types of damage, not only combat damage. However, most other cards reduce only combat damage - Bracers of Protection, reveal/recharge powers of most armors and so.

The info that you already used an item of that type is a great idea. It would be perfect to see some info why you can't use armor or something (lock displayed) when damaged by Bunyip (damage may not be reduced) or you have used the Snakeskin Tunic to boost ranged attack, for example.

• Like 1

To be fair, it should be noted that Sihedron Medallion works on all types of damage, not only combat damage. However, most other cards reduce only combat damage - Bracers of Protection, reveal/recharge powers of most armors and so.

Derp... yeah.  Since the Sihedron Medallion doesn't specify which sort of damage it is good towards, it can reduce damage of any type.  Though, it still has to follow the "one card type per check" rule.  If the player uses and Amulet of Fiery Fists or something beforehand, damage reducing items will be unavailable later in the check.

also, i've been having this issue while playing the goblins. if i have people boost poog with blessings he'll proc it for one, then after another action, then will ask if i want to give it to another that had boosted him on the initial check. and sometimes when this happens and i happened to use a spell on the check, find traps/fire weapon. it'll break the game forcing me to "esc>return to menu>continue game

when i come back, i thiiiink its auto recharged my spell instead of rolling for it, and i lose out on the other recharge for giving poog a blessing.