Awww damn, the tier I was thinking about (Premium Digital) is $54 on Obsidian's own site, while it was $45 on fig...

Why is that?

EDIT: In fact, all packages are quite a bit more expensive in general.

Edited by Pallegina's Panties

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=360#updates

Additionally, on May 12th, reward prices will increase by about 20% for new backers only.

While no direct explanation is given in the abovementioned update, this is a common practice (as stated by Wormerine). Same thing happens with other crowdfunded games after the campaing is over (be it Pillars of Eternity, or Pathfinder: Kingmaker).

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Backing a game early means you take more risks and thus the rewards are greater. By the time the game is funded, getting it is more of a safe bet so prices raise. You could always wait till another sale to pick it up if money was tight. I suspect that the game extra special edition will retail at a lot more than the current $54…

But it is $11 more: What does that really buy you these days, one Starbuck latte⸮ ☺ After all, it is $11 more that Obsidian can spend on making the game better or help feed the families of the developers…

Edited by kierun
  • Like 5

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

Only really got into the first game because I bought it during the Steam summer sale. Loved it so much to the point where I'd love to back the sequel, but there's no way to do that now, is there...?

There's a similar game in development you may want to check it out. It's Pathfinder Kingmaker. I think market don't have much of these type of games.

I suppose it also counts as pre-purchasing the game, right? I'm in. duh, of course it does. Still in though.

Edit: How the heck do I find the zip code associated with the card? Never had to do that before, *grumble* *goes and looks at bank account*

Edited by smjjames

I suspect the reason they raise the prices is because money gained later in development is harder to allocate to the actual development, as budgets are already done and the money gained early on was all split up in one go whereas later monies needs someone to monitor the incomings and all that.  Yeah, I don't know what I am talking about I don't do money.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The lower prices serves  the purpose of giving an incentive and a reward to those that decided to invest earlier. You could say that you are still investing early since the game is not released, but I believe their financial team used until the lazy backer month to make all the development cost plan. Now both you and I money is considered "unreliable" , its not a huge influx and if they want to keep the schedule they have to go until the end, unless they manage to finish it early and remanage this money pool from us late for the party.

Its just a guess, so please don't murder me x.x

I'm pretty sure whatever price you pay now is still going to be smaller than the full retail price when the game's released. It's Obsidian's way to account for the time value of money and be fair to their backers.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm pretty sure whatever price you pay now is still going to be smaller than the full retail price when the game's released. It's Obsidian's way to account for the time value of money and be fair to their backers.

Isn't it the only way to get a physical copy too? It's very much like limited vinyl releases that are bulk ordered off of presales. It saves money and passes the savings onto the consumer, but generates both increased and guaranteed sales. After that it's all retail (more expensive), after-market (more expensive), or digital only.

Isn't it the only way to get a physical copy too? It's very much like limited vinyl releases that are bulk ordered off of presales. It saves money and passes the savings onto the consumer, but generates both increased and guaranteed sales. After that it's all retail (more expensive), after-market (more expensive), or digital only.

Uh no.  This time there will be no physical copies.  It is the only way to get a collector's box though.

Uh no.  This time there will be no physical copies.  It is the only way to get a collector's box though.

Uh, I saw payments for physical copies when I went to purchase my backers pre-order. I thought I did anyway. Not that I purchased one of those.

Edited by smjjames

Ah, I didn't know. I'm digital.

Uh, I saw payments for physical copies when I went to purchase my backers pre-order. I thought I did anyway. Not that I purchased one of those.

There is a disc, but it is just a steam installer.  Not a stand alone copy of the game.

See this thread:  https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91327-physical-copy-of-the-game-is-drm-and-steam-free/page-3

Late to the party as well, but from what I gather it's possible to "pledge" for $35 for the base game, but I'll have to do so using Paypal? (not debit card?)

As usual the game probably won't be in an enjoyably playable state for a good while, but $35 will probably be less than at release anyhow. Due to the madness of regional pricing the first game actually costs ~$36 for me at GOG now, without a sale, but whatever.

Just to make sure, though. If I "pledge", I would be able to download the game using GOG, DRM Free for Linux? Sadly they have become much worse lately, but steam (spit) is out of the question with their plethora of DRM and terrible practices, so GOG is the only potential option for buying games.

What changed in GoG? Been a while since I visited.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Nothing I am aware of. They added optional gog galaxy to easier manage, download and update your games. And to allow multiplayer titles. It is not even a DRM service (unless you want to play online game, duh) as you can run any installed game without logging into Galaxy or even starting it up.

• Like 2

In short, step by step becoming closer to steam. Regional pricing, regional blocking, DLC all over the place, microtransactions, and of course now pushing Galaxy all over the place rather aggressively. I probably forgot many steps along the way too. Galaxy is still technically optional, but I don't expect that to last given what is occurring. It's still the least horrible store out there, but many of the "old guard" don't like the negative direction they have decided to pursue. Hopefully they won't ditch the DRM Free principle too. If they do, I have no option but to stop buying and playing games.

About the question however, I can still pledge for POE2 and get the game DRM Free and for Linux, via GOG?

In short, step by step becoming closer to steam. Regional pricing, regional blocking, DLC all over the place, microtransactions, and of course now pushing Galaxy all over the place rather aggressively. I probably forgot many steps along the way too. Galaxy is still technically optional, but I don't expect that to last given what is occurring. It's still the least horrible store out there, but many of the "old guard" don't like the negative direction they have decided to pursue. Hopefully they won't ditch the DRM Free principle too. If they do, I have no option but to stop buying and playing games.

About the question however, I can still pledge for POE2 and get the game DRM Free and for Linux, via GOG?

Many of those things you mentions have nothing to do with GOG, but rather with expanding their offer. DLCs are part of the gaming industry and on principle there is nothing wrong with that. I got DLC for my Darkest Dungeon on GOG and its great. Regional pricing I also see as a positive thing, though it can screw people over. Some coutries with lower income, it is more beneficial for Devs/publisher to sell games cheaper. Since GOG introduced Polish currency to their store, I found their offers more affordable. Galaxy is a really neat feature, which fixed a lot of issues I had with GOG (need to check for updates, fiddly download.) They did state they will never make it a DRM. Companies, of course, can lie, though so far it has not been gogs policy.

Yes, the keys will be available for steam or gog depending on your preference.

• Like 4

That's part of the negative change though. Microtransactions, all kinds of ****ty DLC, pre-orders, alpha games, a wide range of measures to tempt money out of the pockets of consumers while putting the risk on the consumer. GOG used to be different, they used to be consumer friendly and not dive into one terrible practice after the other. That is now changed, and they have ditched practically all their original principles. All that remains is DRM Free. I sincerely hope that doesn't fall too.

Yes, we can blame people for being stupid enough to buy a product they know next to nothing about yet, or waste money on microtransactions or senseless DLCs. The point is, GOG used to be different, and are now embracing all the idiocy the greedy bastards in the gaming industry is coming up with.

It's a trend in society more generally, unfortunately. People are willingly signing away privacy and consumer rights without a lick of thought. One of the advantages of being slightly older (though by no means old) is the benefit of perspective through having seen the development over time. Like a Watcher, perhaps :D

Yes, we can blame people for being stupid enough to buy a product they know next to nothing about yet, or waste money on microtransactions or senseless DLCs. The point is, GOG used to be different, and are now embracing all the idiocy the greedy bastards in the gaming industry is coming up with.

Yeah GoG used to be different.  Used to be all they sold were old ass games from the 80's, 90's, and their own CD Projekt games, shocker, they didn't make much money cause there is not much of an audience for those games.  Their own games like Witcher 2 did okay, but those games were available through other outlets, and were more convenient to use through those outlets.

All GoG has done over the year is listen to the market, and do what it needed to so that it could be a relevant platform competing with Steam.  The GoG you are talking about never got games unless they came from Kickstarter.  Modern GoG gets most of the good games that go to Steam, far less of the pre release infinite alpha crap, and has a competitive platform making it convenient for their customers to use their service.

It isn't called greed, it is called intelligent business decisions.  Meanwhile their only real core value that they had on day one, was no DRM, anything else you name is your invention and opinion.  Their core value is still there, and there is zero reason to believe that will change, short of a major company shake up.

DLC is a choice of the games maker, not the vendor.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Jeese. It's not my invention or fantasies or whatever. Just look up what their site looked like, with principles and all, from some years back if you don't remember/haven't seen it. But I'm fully aware I'm in the minority in disliking the direction they have taken. It's unusual to have principles these days, and to genuinely care about privacy and consumer rights.

After reading some more around the site, I think it's best to postpone a bit longer. A quasi-mana pool, moving away from Vancian casting, 5-person parties and so forth doesn't fill me with happy thoughts.