Do we get to fight more Dragons?

Maybe there's a rumor about a super powerful and legendary dragon hiding somewhere, protecting something. You only learn it by rumors and you have to go way off the beaten path to find him. Then, when you do find him, it is just a guy named Dragon, Jonathan Dragon, say. You ask him to give you what he hides, he declines and you're having a fight over it.

Or you sail towards somewhere and a scripted interaction pops-up. "In the distance, you see two dragons fighting. They're too far away and you're sailing away from them anyway. Soon, they just become two dots on the horizon.You continue your way".

There you have your two dragon fights.

• Like 1

You meet a two-headed dragon philosopher named Habibah that is obsessed with mirrors and cats. You can avoid a fight by supplying him with a pouch of snuff and giving him your favorite pet.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Seriously though, am I like the only person who doesn't like slaughtering dragons?  

You have my axe!

I never killed any dragon in any game I played, I always chose to resolve the case in other way. For me it was cool of PoE not having me slay dragons but rather talk to them and cooperate.

• Like 3

The owls are not what they seem.

What is the precedence for Dragons taking on human form? I never understood that.

Not sure. First time I came across a dragon taking human form was in the original Dragonlance novels. It made sense there, 'cause dragons wanted to mess with human politics incognito. It might be rooted to some mythology though. I wouldn't be surprised.

It was also present in Sapkowski's Witcher novels, where we met golden dragon in human form of noble man.

(sorry for doubleposting, I screwed multiquoting somehow :/ )

The owls are not what they seem.

What is the precedence for Dragons taking on human form? I never understood that.

Not sure. First time I came across a dragon taking human form was in the original Dragonlance novels. It made sense there, 'cause dragons wanted to mess with human politics incognito. It might be rooted to some mythology though. I wouldn't be surprised.

It was also present in Sapkowski's Witcher novels, where we met golden dragon in human form of noble man.

(sorry for doubleposting, I screwed multiquoting somehow :/ )

After Dragonlance, dragons in human form were common. But it is an interesting question who made it a thing.

I'm quite tired of dragons to be honest. "Lizard with wings" is just one aspect of what could be much more diverse creature base. Add insects to the mix and the possibilities are endless. But it has to be bloody dragons always.

That is true. I usually really dislike vampires but Darkest Dungeon's interpretation with the bloodsuckers is really cool. PoE has strong callbacks to D&D so dragons are somewhat expected but I do hope for other epic monster fights. 

I like dragons very much in general, and I think PoE's take on their development is pretty cool and makes for some interesting unique ones (e.g. adra dragon and sky dragon.)

I'm curious about what new dragon designs await us in Deadfire, though I agree it shouldn't be always just dragons when it comes to boss fights. I wouldn't like a completely dragon-free game, but more variety would be certainly welcome.

Granted, PoE's peculiar take on soul cycle and cosmology pretty much rules out celestials and demons or devils, so that's a good chunk of cool monster design that's out of the question.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The dragon Fafnir in norse mythology was a dwarf who became a dragon. yeah, it's reversed, but not unheard of in western tradition.

• Like 2

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

The dragon Fafnir in norse mythology was a dwarf who became a dragon. yeah, it's reversed, but not unheard of in western tradition.

That's cool. I always really liked Norse mythology. I often don't enjoy how it's done in games though. Age of Mythology set too high of a standard I think.

That's cool. I always really liked Norse mythology. I often don't enjoy how it's done in games though. Age of Mythology set too high of a standard I think.

By combining Atlanteans, Greeks, Egyptians and Norse people? :p

By combining Atlanteans, Greeks, Egyptians and Norse people? :p

They weren't actually combined in the campaign. I think most games don't really flesh out mythological worlds all that well, but when you have a literal civ builder it works much better.

Well, a really good balanced groups of antagonistic adventurers is also fine. I mean, why is it only the Watcher has had been successful at this kind of stuff? Make him fight on the same terms a group that is balanced out to take on your group. (Make them always the same level as the Player or something). Wouldn't work too well for Solo play-throughs I guess.

Also, Eldtrich horrors anyone? I mean they are not really demons or devils...

• Like 1

More variety in higher level, higher difficulty foes would be lovely.  PoE 1 enemies weren't necessarily as homogeneous as Dragon Age Origins' darkspawn, but the game still suffered from a lack of variety; after reaching some point in act 2, you had seen much of what the game had to throw at you.  There should be more unique, higher difficulty enemies on the islands (and waters) further out from civilization.

• Like 2

I love dragons! Obsidian can really learn from how beautiful Dragons were designed and animated in Dragon Age Inquisition. I suggest Obsidian devs to play that game. And also ships! Learn from Assassin's Creed Blackflag too on how to design ships please.

Edited by Archaven

I love dragons! Obsidian can really learn from how beautiful Dragons were designed and animated in Dragon Age Inquisition. I suggest Obsidian devs to play that game. And also ships! Learn from Assassin's Creed Blackflag too on how to design ships please.

Haha... I am afraid it is less the case of learning but having EAs funding for it. While PoE is very successful as far as the crowdfunding independent titles go, it will never reach the expensive look of AAA games. Still, a fair trade for not having your soul sucked dry.

well, i didn't kill any of the dragons in PoE, i just reasoned with them... and i was playing with the expert mode on so i had no indication of what stat checks i was using in conversations, i was going by the answer i felt was best (good job on that part btw to whoever wrote them)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Haha... I am afraid it is less the case of learning but having EAs funding for it. While PoE is very successful as far as the crowdfunding independent titles go, it will never reach the expensive look of AAA games. Still, a fair trade for not having your soul sucked dry.

Well sadly i tend to agree with you on this. But at least Obsidian devs can get some inspirations :D