+Mechanics Gloves - Where do they have a chance of dropping? [Minor Spoiler]

The random loot tables don't work about 1/3 of the time (rough estimate).  I have missed the #$$&% rymrgand's mantle a couple of times, and on one of the saddest days of my playing time ... the gloves of swift action weren't in their usual spot in Durgan's Battery.  That was a sad day.

For awhile I had a similar problem; for about 1/3 of my runs the treasure I found didn't match the random loot tables. I eventually realized that for the random loot tables to work, your MC has to be first in party order. If you place her or him in another position, for some reason the random loot is generated differently. Also, a few times when I've started a new game, the game started on day 19 rather than day 18. When this happens, the random loot is always different. But I haven't had this happen for awhile; it might have only been a problem in an earlier version of the game.

• 1 month later...

That's one thing I hope they've improved upon in the sequel: erm... loot in general, really, but more about WHEN and HOW you encounter loot. I can think of a number of ancient RPGs that allowed you to improve your lockpicking skill with... lockpicks for instance.

That is still true for PoE, innit? Not in the traditional sense, but they do allow you to pick locks above your current skill level.

But it's the trap disarm that's a bitch. The highest I found in the game was Mechanic 13, and I recall it came relatively early. To get there without a Rogue, my Mechanic guy basically had to not level anything else.

• 1 month later...

It sucks that the only hope of getting a Mechanics bonus is from a random drop, and that has survived 2 expansions + numerous patches. Just to tease us some more they also keep changing up the random loot mechanics.

Sorry for necroing. Currently in Whitemarch. I been having Durance picking every Mechanics at skill level up and the highest he has currently is level 9. It's so frustrating i can't disarm the trap and Mechanics gloves from random drop? Seriously Obsidian what are you thinking? In Flames that Whisper, there's no way for me to bypass the trap other than triggering it and get knock out? I have 97 Reflex for god's sake.

• 1 year later...

My last playthrough I didn't find a single pair of those gloves, which was annoying as I did put a lot of points in Mechanics for my main who was main lockpicker and trapfinder for that playthrough and I wanted to spare more points for other skills for him.

I am playing through solo as a rogue, and I would love to find those, or buy them from a merchant, but no luck.

Yes i save scrum to get them at the above places. Basically you have to save before you try to open the chest. If you dont get it, reload then i usually travel on the world map until the next day then come back and try again. And repeat until they show up. There is a random loot list table that tells you what day they show up but i cant remember if its still accurate. If it is you can just keep travelling until you hit the day it says and then open it up again.