+Mechanics Gloves - Where do they have a chance of dropping? [Minor Spoiler]

Hi,

In order to improve "quality-of-life" in playing PoE i would very much like a + Mechanics bonus. I read it could be found in the Raedric Keep Study, and made sure to save before entering that area.I have now tried to do this many times on different days etc, and while i do find different loot, it is never the gloves. Can someone assure me that this is the right spot? (ie the room immediately on the right (with two small chests on a table) when coming up through the dungeons from Osrya's room).

It sucks that the only hope of getting a Mechanics bonus is from a random drop, and that has survived 2 expansions + numerous patches. Just to tease us some more they also keep changing up the random loot mechanics.

Edited by Undesirable

The keep study you describe is where I've always found the gloves of manipulation.  They also show up sometimes in the chest at the foot of the bed.

I've done a lot of playthroughs (at least up to that point) and have always managed to get them to spawn at that table - have you tried all 20 days on the calendar?  The loot tables are unique each playthrough as of 3.05 so it's possible you got unlucky and they won't spawn for you.

I'm surprised they haven't made any changes to make it a guaranteed drop somewhere.  Every other random loot item I can happily finish a playthrough without (missing a gauntlets of swift action would suck, but isn't game breaking), but never getting the mechanics gloves really sucks.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Random_loot

Be warned! Learning the secret behind of how the game actually assigns the seemingly random loot removes A LOT of the mystery and wonder of the game.

But it will teach you how to exactly get what you want.

Click the link at your own risk.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Random_loot

Be warned! Learning the secret behind of how the game actually assigns the seemingly random loot removes A LOT of the mystery and wonder of the game.

But it will teach you how to exactly get what you want.

Click the link at your own risk.

Knowing the ins and outs of a terrible random loot mechanic spoils the mystery and wonder of the game? They should have seeded the loot from the beginning then and made sure that each item drops at least once in the random containers.

Edited by Undesirable

It was me saying it's terrible, I'm aware you didn't make a direct comment on its virtues or lack thereof. You can't think it's that bad if you think it spoils the wonder of the game if someone reads up on it though.

Well, whenever you get an actual look "under the hood" of a game (so to speak) I'd say it removes a bit of wonder and magic of the game.

That was the point I was trying to make.

Random loot is a minor annoyance, usually. It becomes a major one in this particular case, since the game delights in using traps that you can't disarm, even if you've been pumping Mechanics since level 1. And valuable hidden items requiring mechanics 10 to find. So every bonus counts. I've never found the gloves myself, though. And there seems to be no reliable source of the scrolls.

That's one thing I hope they've improved upon in the sequel: erm... loot in general, really, but more about WHEN and HOW you encounter loot. I can think of a number of ancient RPGs that allowed you to improve your lockpicking skill with... lockpicks for instance.

That's one thing I hope they've improved upon in the sequel: erm... loot in general, really, but more about WHEN and HOW you encounter loot. I can think of a number of ancient RPGs that allowed you to improve your lockpicking skill with... lockpicks for instance.

That is still true for PoE, innit? Not in the traditional sense, but they do allow you to pick locks above your current skill level.

That is still true for PoE, innit? Not in the traditional sense, but they do allow you to pick locks above your current skill level.

Yes they let you pick a couple of levels above your current level with additional lockpicks and there are scrolls that improve your mechanics

Really, I hope they improve upon this in the sequel. All these items should be available at stores, with the caveat that they cost lots of gold. Your reward for finding these things "in the wild" should be that they are free. Things being loot exclusives should be reserved for things that have a set spawn, such as powerful weapons and armour (like Tidefall Greatsword).

Having things exclusive to a random* loot system is sadly quite terrible game design in the end.

*it is not really random when you think about it, but that is the impression a player who is unaware of how it actually works experiences it to be.

Edited by Pallegina's Panties

Outside of the first time in Searing Falls I never had an issue detecting/disarming. I had a Rogue in my first party and increased mechanics every step of the way, being a major Rogue fan of course helps with that.

Edited by Blades of Vanatar
  • Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

My last playthrough I didn't find a single pair of those gloves, which was annoying as I did put a lot of points in Mechanics for my main who was main lockpicker and trapfinder for that playthrough and I wanted to spare more points for other skills for him.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I have always found them in the Raedrics Keep dungeons. Right where you rescue Kolschs minion. There are 2 cells in the area - just below him, where if you search you find some loot. I am not sure if it's in the right or left cell. I think left. I also can't remember the exact date but it's around day4-6. Again, I seem to recall day 5. I have always found them there.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

The random loot tables don't work about 1/3 of the time (rough estimate).  I have missed the #$$&% rymrgand's mantle a couple of times, and on one of the saddest days of my playing time ... the gloves of swift action weren't in their usual spot in Durgan's Battery.  That was a sad day.