What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Devilman Crybaby. I have no idea what the hell I just watched, but I like it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Bad accents, and millennials acting as millennials. The filming, set work, and score seems fine. Not sure why it went all paris fashion week at the end...

I'm still curious towards it, more so than I am for STD, which I haven't bothered even trying out.

I'm still curious towards it, more so than I am for STD, which I haven't bothered even trying out.

Oy, I'm definitely going to watch it, because I'm a sucker (especially for Stargate), but some part of me can't help but rather have a nice ending to Atlantis and Universe than this... action buddy comedy version of Raiders of the Lost Gate. =/

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It is an origins story, and the time frame and context makes sense. Maybe the first season will feel a bit derivative, but hopefully it will develop into it's own. It might even help ratings if it attracts a generation that may be less familiar with Raiders. I'm just hoping it's good, I need a new sci-fi.

*watches that Stargate Origins trailer*

Well, looks kinda stupid and that lead actor rubs me the wrong way, but trailers can be misleading so I might ....

*looks up the series, realizes it's a web-series with 10minute long episodes*

...nah. I like my sci-fi series to be normal length, and films not to be cut up/paced into tiny pieces. Maybe when it's on Netflix and I can binge it all at once.

Speaking of web-series tho, Jerry Seinfield's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" is on Netflix. I saw a couple of episodes before but never watched them as they came out or anything. They're fun to watch one or two at a time. A little uneven; some of them feel too long even if they're short, and some feel a bit too contrived, but still...a mild amusement for break-times.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Whoever writes Discovery's scripts has no sense of scale. I realize that most sci-fi writers - well, most people to be fair - have no sense of the scale of space but this episode was just ridiculous.

Starbase 1 is 100 (in words: one hundred) AUs away from Earth, and a bit over a light year from Discovery's position, and it'll be a perlious journey for Discovery because the area is swarming with Klingon ships. Eh, what? 100 AU is roughly 2 to 2.5 times the distance from Earth to the Kuiper belt, give or take a few AUs. Why would a starbase be there? And why does it look like Starbase 1 is orbiting a planet when Discovery gets there?

Even accounting for the fact that every Trek show played it fast and loose with the warp factor scale the journey of a light year is so short that it can't possibly be a problem. Even the NX-01 could get there in a matter of hours. Pfeh.

Wait... it's a web series of 10 min. episodes... that detail eluded me...

The series will consist of 10 episodes, each 10 minutes in length, essentially a 10-episode feature length movie, and will expand upon the existing mythology of the Stargate franchise.

Mkay, colour me orange and call me sunkist. Uhm. Man. Nowadays it's even necessary to read the fine print on TV show trailers. FFS.

• Like 1

Whoever writes Discovery's scripts has no sense of scale. I realize that most sci-fi writers - well, most people to be fair - have no sense of the scale of space but this episode was just ridiculous.

Starbase 1 is 100 (in words: one hundred) AUs away from Earth, and a bit over a light year from Discovery's position, and it'll be a perlious journey for Discovery because the area is swarming with Klingon ships. Eh, what? 100 AU is roughly 2 to 2.5 times the distance from Earth to the Kuiper belt, give or take a few AUs. Why would a starbase be there? And why does it look like Starbase 1 is orbiting a planet when Discovery gets there?

Even accounting for the fact that every Trek show played it fast and loose with the warp factor scale the journey of a light year is so short that it can't possibly be a problem. Even the NX-01 could get there in a matter of hours. Pfeh.

My favorite thing about the reboot trilogy is that they finally standardized the star date system

STD is something weird. I really only watch it because it's official Star Trek but I think it would have been better as its own separate thing but then who knows if I would watch it.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Has anyone watched The Clover Paradox that was released on Netflix last night? What say you all?

Reviews are pretty bad. Haven't seen it yet, still busy with Altered Carbon (and will be for a few days more I guess).

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Altered Carbon. I won't be buying the blu-ray or anything, but I will binge a season 2 if it gets it.

I'm on to The Cloverfield Paradox now.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

How is Altered Carbon? The missus wants to finish our current DS9 run before starting something new

Enjoyed the episodes I've seen very much so far. Haven't read the book though, so no idea how the adaptation is. If you like cyberpunk and/or (neo-)noir detective stories have a go at it.

• Like 1

For those asking about The Cloverfield Paradox, I'm 1:14 in. It's dumb.

• Like 2

Indifferent dumb. I generated a small number of flat whats.

First episode of Altered Carbon was kinda crap, because they kept cramming so much stuff with weird words into you. With episode 2 it became a lot better. I've finished ep4 now and I will definitively keep watching.

The style reminds me a bit of The Expanse, but it is way more sci-fi magic.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I sat down and watched the first episode of Altered Carbon, and it quite hooked me.

It's very much a introduce everything and try to set the world with just the initial hooks of plot. Very neo-pulp detective / cyberpunk as mentioned, and looks set to be one that will involve a lot of flashback sequences to explain who and what characters are as it goes forward. I expect to see parallel storylines from the far past and the present that will have some twist connection by the end of the season.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

STD is something weird. I really only watch it because it's official Star Trek but I think it would have been better as its own separate thing but then who knows if I would watch it.

That is a really good question. STD in its current state is neither good Trek nor good enough to stand on its own, but if one were to excise Star Trek from Discovery, would the remainder be elevated by the lack of bad Trek, or brought low by the somewhat disjointed remainder?

The biggest problem, for me, is a universal one. I don't give a crap about Michael Burnham, and that the show tried to make her more approchable and likeable in the past few episodes was pretty much reset by her being a complete arsehole again in this episode. She's like a Katherine Pulaski on crack.

Edited by majestic

I still think this new STD is garbage. Seems I only watch it because I hope for it to get better.

First one or two seasons of TNG was kinda bad as well, same for any other Star Trek, I guess. Still I kinda feel betrayed in a way I feel Fallout 3 is not a true Fallout game. They took the names and some basic facts and then raped the crap out of everything else to produce mediocre garbage that nobody ever asked for.

Just thinking about this stupid spore plotline or why the heck that ship has to flip itself every time they travel... ugh.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."