What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Attempted to watch the 1st episode of Devilman Crybaby via Netflix.

...wtf did I just watch. I don't think it's for me, I am not that cutting edge. *removes from watchlist*

...but the visuals were nicely animated! :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anyone watching Black Lightning? How is it?

Good, fun. Picked a great cast. Doesn't feel like rote male hero fantasy and subtext provokes thought. Liking the soundtrack.

Evidently comics Black Lightning was Metropolis-based, though it's unknown where the show's city of 'Freeland' is, or if it's an analogue to a real place, as 'National City' is to LA. Showrunners have said no shared universe with other CW characters.

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Watched the first episode of "Counterpart" on Starz.

It's a bit of a slow burn episode, setting things up, lots of visual/observation and reaction shots vs. dialogue keeping things mysterious with little explanation. But J.K. Simmons is masterful at a dual role. Every gesture, tonal inflection, shoulder slump, walking style, head movements, all differentiate between the two different but same selves and it's awesome. They should just call it the J.K. Simmons is Masterful and You Know It, Show. Once there's a few episodes available on-demand to binge, I'll keep watching. I'm not sure yet about the series as a whole/the plot but I'm not sure I care. I'm here for Simmons.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

no mention yet o' the magnum pi reboot?

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/26/cbs-magnum-pi-cagney-lacey-pilots/

our underdog pick for 2018 magnum is omari hardwick, not that we has seen his name mentioned.  much like tom selleck, mr. hardwick were a college athlete 'fore he were an actor, so play a former navy seal is less a stretch than most possible names we will see attached to the role.  has done an admirable job with smaller movie roles as well as in the starz show, power. am thinking filming for 2018 power season has already wrapped, so might be an ideal time to make the jump to major network stardom.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17089240

oh, and cagney and lacey is also getting reboot if you didn't follow the ew link.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I like John Krasinsky. I've been re-watching The Office with my daughter and it pretty interesting how much he grew as a performer as that show progressed. It will be interesting to see if he can make the jump to a more dramatic role, but I'm pleased by the choice.

When I saw the poster I actually thought they cast Shia Lebouf, so I'm relieved it isn't that nutjob.

They sure dropped Chris Pine quickly. I liked him as Ryan, but he is more of an action-y guy than an intel type guy that Ford and Baldwin portrayed. Kind of odd to think that Affleck, who is probably the worst Ryan to date, was able to brilliantly play an autistic action hero in the accountant but struggled to pull off an intel guy. 

Humm. Discovery had a strong run of actually good episodes after its hiatus, which probably was because all the moody, edgy lighting and  Not!Trek stuff fits the mirror universe to a tee, but this week's episode was a dumpster fire. Well actually the dumpster fire started last week at the very end with the reveal that

captain Malfoy is actually Mirror!Malfoy.

*sigh*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So I've been trying to watch Battlestar Galactica. I'm near the end of the first season. The lack of actual science fiction elements bothers me greatly. I'm more of a Stargate guy where there is a fair amount of explanation for everything, but right now in BSG there is just a lot of space magic. People make really dumb decisions all over the place. Does it get better? Is it worth continuing?

Does it get better? Is it worth continuing?

The short version: Going by your post, no and no.

The slightly longer version: The second season and the first half of the third season is great entertainment. The first half of the third seaon does get a good deal of social commentary, but it never becomes techy sci-fi in the way of Stargate or Star Trek, and after the first half of the show the Chris Carter Effect comes into full swing. The writers never had an idea how to deal with the storylines and they increasingly become less sci-fi and more space magic. And in the end you'll find out that...

when Head!Six told Gaius that she's an angel sent from God she meant that... literally. Not kidding. She's an actual angle helping Baltar to guide humanity to its... end. Sort of.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The mysticism was always the worst part of BSG, such a shame they doubled down on it rather than dialed it back. There's probably a bit less of it in the second season, but even more in the 3rd and especially last seasons. And yeah, definitely used a crutch to avoid having to write things logically.

So I've been trying to watch Battlestar Galactica. I'm near the end of the first season. The lack of actual science fiction elements bothers me greatly. I'm more of a Stargate guy where there is a fair amount of explanation for everything, but right now in BSG there is just a lot of space magic. People make really dumb decisions all over the place. Does it get better? Is it worth continuing?

People make dumb decisions throughout the series. They also repeat the same mistakes, there's an obnoxious love tetrahedron that goes on far too long, massive hypocrisy and as above they handwave stuff with deus ex machina- and think they're being 'deep' doing so. But when it does stuff well it does it very very well. Despite not being a massive fan of BSG by any means Exodus I & II is one of my absolute favourites 2 parters, better than even Best of Both Worlds or Chain of Command in TNG.

In terms of Sci Fi I thought BSG was as good as or better than SG or ST, when it was trying to be Sci Fi. Both SG and ST have massive amounts of handwaving as well, they just dress it up in trektechnobabble rather than mysticism, and they tend to forget the technobabble when convenient. Without the mysticism BSG was pretty believable and consistent, tech wise, far more so than Warp Drive destroying the fabric of the universe for one specific week or the galaxy being liberated by half a dozen plucky US airforce personnel with P90s and a healthy dose of mcguyverism.

• Like 1

Mad Dogs (UK version)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1652218/

Bunch of middle aged guys who were schoolmates go to Spain, to meet their ex pat buddy for a week's holiday, things quickly go pear shaped as the story develops with lots of twists and turns. There is a US version on Amazon, going by the trailer, it's pretty much the same thing with similar looking actors.

https://youtu.be/qae7R6ct80Q

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

I see Battlestar Galactica and the original series is still what I first think of ... which causes me confusion for about 3 seconds. Happens to me more and more as reboots and re-dos keep flooding the airwaves. :D

So I have yet to watch any of that Big Bang spin-off, with the kid. Is it any good? I always thought Big Bang was funny, despite the laugh-track, although its silly charm did wear off after a few seasons.