What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

According to the comments, no - so that would make it the re-cut "new" version of the pilot. The one were they took out the MacGyver reference and Carter's little uhm, speech about her reproductive organs.

Never seen that version though, might give it a shake. The speech was kind of over the top but the reference made me smile. Not sure why they thought it was terrible. RDA is MacGyver for us children of the 80ies.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, by simply going from plot point to plot point with very little depth or room to breath. For what it was, the episode  was okay but surely not as good as it can be. Yeah, less episodes this season so  hardly any scenes can breathe.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The plot induced teleporting was strong in this episode. Reducing the episode count sure paid off so far. Who needs all that filler setup, eh?

Dany's fleet still hasn't learned to post lookouts or do any reconnaissance at all.

I also have a nerdish question. Assuming Dragonstone is in the show where it is in the books and Dany split her fleet to go to the Rock and pick up the Dornish army both fleets would have reasonably travelled the same way up until Sunspear (or wherever the Dornish army is). Seems like Grey Worm's fleet teleporter worked slightly faster than Asha's Yara's.

Had a good laugh at Archmaester Slughorn telling Harry to be happy with not being expelled. :D

edit:

Come to think of it, did Olenna travel on Grey Worm's ship?

Edited by majestic

The episode was good and tensing, but I could only lol at how bad mother of dragons spy network is. Cant even see huge armies marching through the lands. Its the second fail in a row and it feels pretty forced... again.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I was so confused with that scene with Varis and red priestess

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

http://deadline.com/2017/08/black-america-amazon-alt-history-drama-will-packer-aaron-mcgruder-envisions-post-reparations-america-1202139504/

I see Amazon is copying off HBO's paper here. Both series sound highly improbable. In Confederate slavery could not have survived the industrial revolution or the revulsion of the European trade partners the CSA would have had to rely on. The cause of Civil Rights however would have been set back decades... or longer. That would have made a more interesting premise IMO. This idea Amazon has would have caused the Civil War to be extended for years. The South would have literally fought to the last man rather than lose their homes altogether. That's not saying this won't be a good show. But the premise s seriously flawed and good things don't usually spring from that.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Although I'm surprised the Necromonger way worked. I wouldn't think the entire organisation would suddenly accept him just like that.

Tyrells were supposed to have a huge army even without Tarly, no? That Lannister army that supposedly took Highgarden was maybe 1,000 men?

Well damn, I completely forgot about that. You're right. According to show information, Lannisters at their best can raise about 60k and they're not at their best and likely had to leave sizeable contigents to defend the capital among other things, while house Tyrell fields 100k. How the hell did the Lannisters beat them? I don't remember their fancy army being decimated in the plot. From the show's Wiki:

House Lannister can raise approximately 60,000 men in a relatively short period of time. As the richest house, the Lannisters' forces are among the best-equipped in the Seven Kingdoms, though House Tyrell commands larger numbers. However, the strength of House Lannister has been badly depleted due to the War of the Five Kings, between the Battle of Blackwater and the battles with Robb Stark, such as the Battle of Oxcross. Nevertheless, It is clear that House Lannister is still able to field tens of thousands of men, even after the losses suffered against Robb Stark. Casterly Rock alone has a garrison of 10,000 Lannister soldiers, showing that the Lannisters still command a considerable amounts of men. Lannister soldiers seem to be well-equipped than any army that Westeros could muster.

The Reach is the most fertile and populous region of Westeros, allowing House Tyrell to gain immense wealth (through taxation of the large population) and also to muster an enormous army of 100,000 men. The Tyrells can typically raise and equip almost twice as many soldiers as any of the other Great Houses in Westeros. This makes the Tyrells formidable enemies but excellent allies. In the Battle of the Blackwater, the Tyrell Calvary alongside their Lannister allies defeated Stannis' army, therefore making them and the Lannisters, the most powerful player during the war. The Tyrell army was also responsible for delaying Robb Stark's army from attacking the capital. Their armies marched on the capital to rescue, Margaery Tyrell from the Faith Militant.

Unless the Tyrell's were somehow incredibly damaged by that march, I don't get it. I doubt the defection of House Tarly closed a gap of 40k.

EDIT: Hold on, wasn't the Tyrell army deployed to siege the areas supplying King's Landing under the belief the Lannisters would be defending Casterly Rock? That could make up the difference, and I suspect a portion of them were lost while being carried by Yara's fleet. Still, incredibly unclear and unlikely, especially since we saw the Lannisters march upon Highgarden without siege weaponry.

Edited by TrueNeutral

There's a number of things in play here, that did not get conveyed in the show. Speaking from historically comparative point of view.

First of all, it's a feudal soceity, so 100k is summoned and not a standing army - many being busy harvesting or preparing for winter. Second, in a feudal society a house rises and falls on it's ability to produce heirs and alliances, in this respect House Tyrell was a losing house and Lannister allying themselves with Tarly would very quickly cause the other local houses to fall in line. After all, the Tarly's could easily continue buisness as is and prevent a very devastating power struggle.

Fortune favors the bald.

There's a number of things in play here, that did not get conveyed in the show. Speaking from historically comparative point of view.

First of all, it's a feudal soceity, so 100k is summoned and not a standing army - many being busy harvesting or preparing for winter. Second, in a feudal society a house rises and falls on it's ability to produce heirs and alliances, in this respect House Tyrell was a losing house and Lannister allying themselves with Tarly would very quickly cause the other local houses to fall in line. After all, the Tarly's could easily continue buisness as is and prevent a very devastating power struggle.

That's sort of the point. Except Euron's fleet having stealth capabilities (and that could be explained away with general incompetence if one is willing to push it that far) nothing that got shown on the show couldn't happen - the reduction in episodes and streamlining of the storylines however does reduce the time to properly set these things up, in a stark - no pun intended - contrast to the earlier seasons that could draw from more source material.

Although I'm surprised the Necromonger way worked. I wouldn't think the entire organisation would suddenly accept him just like that.

I missed a piece of information and was too lazy to go back...

did the original leader of the cult say they had Jesus himself in a compound surrounded by machine guns, or was it Jesus' offspring?