What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

The ending of episode 7 of Altered Carbon was a picture perfect debut of a yandere character. I don't think any non-anime has ever given me such a strong anime vibe than the last line. 

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The ending of episode 7 of Altered Carbon was a picture perfect debut of a yandere character. I don't think any non-anime has ever given me such a strong anime vibe than the last line. 

If the internet has taught me anything, the cyper-future will be increasingly dominated by anime. Just look at VR chat.

I'll have to get around to watching this show though, sounds intriguing.

Just started it and I'm very impressed, it's not great, but all the individual parts are well crafted and are working well together.

Acting ranges from good to acceptable, the story elements work with theme (Cuberpunk noir) and the action is evenly paced and fittingly violent.

Fortune favors the bald.

How is Altered Carbon? The missus wants to finish our current DS9 run before starting something new

I watched the whole thing. I fundamentally disagree with pretty much every philosophical point it's trying to make, and it has plot holes you could drive a flying car through, but it's pretty fun nonetheless. Atrocious music choices have been consistently made throughout the entire season though.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Of course, one interesting thing is that since the 2nd season should be following the second book, which is set basically 50 years on, and on another planet, while they might be keeping a bunch of the characters, they'll likely be played by different actors...

So it's pretty much a mass Doctor Who regeneration sequence for every character who carries on.

Joel Kinnaman's already signed on to do a different s how and has said he really doubts he'll have any return to Altered Carbon due to the story.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Finally getting around to watching Black Lagoon. Kind of like GTA in an anime setting

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just finished Altered Carbon. It was ok, but...

... it was completely falling apart once

that brother / sister thing came into focus.

Pretty much after episode 7 it was all kinda ehhh again.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished Black Lagoon. Not a bad show, got a good laugh of the Triad leader being right out of a John Woo film.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

STD went out with a whimper

This was the most blatant use of Talk no Jutsu since Naruto. The tension of the whole war, and Federation being in the brink of extinction, just goes *poof*.

Poof. Like Slughorn's wee little fish Francis.

Poof.

Resolving the war like that I would have been down with (conventional victory being pretty much outside the realm of attainable at this point), to be honest, if the episoed had been any good. As it stands it is just an anticlimactic end stitched onto a boring episode with yet another plot twist that totally fell flat.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Netflix just e-mailed me that they've gotten the rights for TBBT season 10 here. Which means I'll be watching that. I no longer keep up with the show when it airs and it's been on a steady decline since seasons 4 and 5 for me but it's still good for the occasional laugh or two. Which is more than I can say of most "comedy" available.

Re-watching the pilot episode of John Doe.

A fairly intelligent adventure series from around 2002 that had a slowly developing story arc. A pre-Prison Break Dominic Purcell as an amnesiac who turned up in Seattle, who although he had absolutely no idea of who he was, he knew literally everything else thats factual knowledge. Has that weird mystery of the week that slowly built up backstory and connections as he struggled to figure out who he was and how he knew so much, while also trying to build human connections with the people he encountered.

Damn, that's one I will always have a grudge over them cancelling. Up there with Threshold, Oddysey 5, Defying Gravity, and Journeyman.

STD went out with a whimper

I guess I liked the Enterprise at the end

I still feel like the show is so much wasted potential

I enjoyed Discovery. Only thing worst than Enterprise was Voyager. Are we now enemies?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I enjoyed Discovery. Only thing worst than Enterprise was Voyager. Are we now enemies?

I know someone who thinks Voyager is better than The Next Generation, so you're not even in the top spot for tastelessness (is that even a word?). ;)

• Like 1

I don't know, when I rewatch VOY I never find myself in the situation that I absolutely don't want to continue because it's just an entire buch of terrible or boring episodes coming up. Rewatching ENT however is a chore throughout most of season 1 and pretty much all of season 2.

Sure other Trek shows had a rough first couple of seasons. Even TNG had a terrible second season. But none of them had that distilled, overwhelming horse manure run of episodes that is ENT's second season season.

• Like 1

Tried 3 episodes of Altered Carbon. I didn't find the techno babble to be an issue - hardly noticed it at all actually - but I'm way too used to such maybe and let it just float over.

Its look and atmosphere is interesting, just like Blade Runner. The prison-in-storage premise (minus the "stack/sleeve" concept) kept me thinking of Demolition Man, heh. But also like Blade Runner, it feels "cold" and leaves me a bit uncaring about any characters or what's going on with most characters. For me largely equals admiration of artistry without any core emotional resonance. It does keep you engaged while watching, mostly, but I have no "must watch" motivation to pick it up again, once I turn it off and sleep overnight. I might get around to it on a rainy day.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Started catching up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 5. Nice that this is still going, it's a great example that a show can be carried just by the chemistry and charisma of its cast. Sure it's incredibly silly at times, has glaring plot holes at others and had a pretty bad run of episodes in the first season but hey, I could watch Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson for days without actually getting bored.

edit:

The dialogues are pretty fun too.

"Okay, well, this is probably the part where I should explain..."

"No. This is the part where May breaks your face."

<3

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

I need to catch up on my Agents of Shield. I've been stacking up episodes to watch since about 5 episodes into season 3... and just haven't had the time/mood to sit down and actually watch them.