What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Very much a 'rule of cool' episode- the metal bolted to the cars wouldn't stop most bullets effectively, apart from Rick et al being able to shoot Negan Dwight could have killed him and almost certainly escaped when they were all outside, the attack on the satellite station had a dozen guys standing around in a beautifully framed for tv group but also a perfect target for pretty much any weapon and the effectiveness of zombie hordes depends completely on plot requirements.

Pretty good set up episode though, and I do like that they're listing every guest star for the season during the credits so you're not sure who is going to show up.

Up to episode 5 of the Orville and I do like it more than Discovery so far. I like how they get Trek bit actors in the show and gives me unexpected warm fuzzies trying to place where I've seen them. I haven't caught up on the last couple STD episodes but we haven't really cared to watch.

Free games updated 3/4/21

You know what annoys me about the Wallking Dead? Poor marksmanship. So many unproductive rounds fired every week. If I was the leader of a group I'd have two rules:

1) No guns for you unless you can hit the center of the target 8 of 10 times from 100 meters.

2) Use semi auto fire for crying out loud. Unless you are laying down supressing fire to cover movement you are wasting ammo. Battles are won with aimed shots.

You would restrict their rights to bear arms? Gasp!

:lol:  If they bring their own and their own ammo they can keep them! But if it's "community" weapons and ammo and I'm the leader of that "community" then you better not be wasting my bullets!

Seriously though, last night they pull up in front of the savior's compound and Negan walks right out with his whole command staff in the face of automatic weapons in covered fighting positions. He ought to know better than that! And why talk at all Rick? Assign three gunners for each target and it's all over. And then, Rick unloads a half a clip at 20 yards and hits nothing! Grrr! Bad marksmanship!

But all in all is was a good show and a solid opening. If I can suspend disbelief in a world where zombies walk around I can look the other way on bad infantry tactics too.

Part of the problem is in the GGI I think, they can't look convincing in a gun battle because all they have are plywood planes where structures are supposed to be. You would think old beat up cars and abandoned factories would not be hard to find. 

It's like they just have the actors go do their thing and think they can always fix it in post production. The show looks pretty bad in places as a result. 

Why exactly were they shooting out the windows. There was no one there to suppress.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, but The Orville is really damn good. It's my No1 show right now, even before The Walking Dead.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, but The Orville is really damn good. It's my No1 show right now, even before The Walking Dead.

I would never have watched Orville, the name sucks and I thought it was just some fan fiction parody. Ive only seen 3 episodes so far, but, I think It's probably closer to real ST than Discovery which I absolutely hate.

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

And yet this week's episode was one of the dumbest things I've watched this year. Hell, I thought it was vapid and out of touch when Black Mirror tried to do the same, but for ****'s sake, the Orville managed to have an even dumber and more superficial take on it.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Finished Stranger Things 2.

I had huge reservations about continuing Stranger Things. It seemed like a recipe for disater but it somehow it worked really well, loved season 2. Maybe even more than the first, it also went a lot lighter an relied less on the 80ies shtick and had more substance.

Except for that part where rebooting the super secret government lab computers requires someone to type some BASIC code into the interface to start the building control program. No script writers, computers don't work this way. Not even the ones from the 80ies. ;)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

two episodes into things that are stranger electric boogaloo, seems pretty good so far

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Finished Stranger Things, idle thoughts:

-I thought the Paul Reiser character is great. Definitely a curveball for Aliens fans.

-The name "Mind Flayer" seems a bit of a stretch given that it's a far more generic DnD creature compared to the Demogorgon. Perhaps "Elder Brain" is more appropriate, with the Demo-Dogs being "Illithids". Then again, my DnD knowledge only stretches back to AD&D 2.

-So given that the formula for successive chapters is "bigger, better, and more," does that mean there'll be an even jerkier jock-type character for Billy and Steve to square off against next season?

-I felt the Nance and Jon hanging out with the conspiracy nut portion was a bit superfluous, which seemed to serve only as an excuse as to why they aren't with the main group back in Hawkins for most of the series.

-Much like last season it still kind of throws me off that a single day can take place across two episodes.

- No, no no! Duffer Brothers. You do not sacrifice a cat for the sake of establishing the danger of the Pollywog form!

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Just finished season 2. It was good, but not better than season 1. I never expected that to happen, though.

Episode 7 felt so... thrown in. More like a setup for a 3rd season. Think that was the episode I liked the least and I just wanted it to end.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I just finished Stranger Things 2 as well.

@Mindflayer: Yeah, I think "elder brain" would've worked better, too, but I think they went with "mindflayer" for how much more evocative and sinister it seems.

@Billy & Steve: the Billy plot wasn't really wrapped up very well (especially if you consider the reason WHY he's being so horrible - unsolved parental issues) so he'll probably just reprise his role.

@Nancy and Jonathan: yep, I think it was one of the weaker moments of the season. Could've erased that sequence entirely and could've had pretty much the same ending, but whatever.

It seems like there will be another season? I think this season was perhaps a little weaker than the first, maybe just because the psychological horror bit of it was already done for the most part in the first season, and it's never the same as the first time, but still pretty excellent.

(e):

Episode 7 definitely felt the weakest. Not terrible or anything, but... It's funny: I wanted more of Eleven prior to that episode, as she's my favorite character, but you know...introducing an entire new cast of characters to support her just didn't end up working all too great. Well, whatever: it was a good setup for a triumphant return.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

@Mindflayer: Yeah, I think "elder brain" would've worked better, too, but I think they went with "mindflayer" for how much more evocative and sinister it seems.@Billy & Steve: the Billy plot wasn't really wrapped up very well (especially if you consider the reason WHY he's being so horrible - unsolved parental issues - so he'll probably just reprise his role.@Nancy and Jonathan: yep, I think it was one of the weaker moments of the season. Could've erased that sequence entirely and could've had pretty much the same ending, but whatever.It seems like there will be another season? I think this season was perhaps a little weaker than the first, maybe just because the psychological horror bit of it was already done for the most part in the first season, and it's never the same as the first time, but still pretty excellent.

(e):

Episode 7 definitely felt the weakest. Not terrible or anything, but... It's funny: I wanted more of Eleven prior to that episode, as she's my favorite character, but you know...introducing an entire new cast of characters to support her just didn't end up working all too great. Well, whatever: it was a good setup for a triumphant return.

Watched 2 episodes last night. I liked the first season, but I'm not feeling this one yet. I'm thinking Wynona is particularly bad so far.

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

They definitely could've done that if they had changed the strengths of the monster somewhat. Oh well: not a huge deal. As for Rider @Fiach, any problem I might have with her is the result of her writers/directing, not her acting itself, I think.

@Mindflayer: Yeah, I think "elder brain" would've worked better, too, but I think they went with "mindflayer" for how much more evocative and sinister it seems.@Billy & Steve: the Billy plot wasn't really wrapped up very well (especially if you consider the reason WHY he's being so horrible - unsolved parental issues - so he'll probably just reprise his role.@Nancy and Jonathan: yep, I think it was one of the weaker moments of the season. Could've erased that sequence entirely and could've had pretty much the same ending, but whatever.It seems like there will be another season? I think this season was perhaps a little weaker than the first, maybe just because the psychological horror bit of it was already done for the most part in the first season, and it's never the same as the first time, but still pretty excellent.

(e):

Watched 2 episodes last night. I liked the first season, but I'm not feeling this one yet. I'm thinking Wynona is particularly bad so far.

Odd, I thought she was hysterically overacting in the first season and is much more toned down and better in season 2.

About the D&D terminology, well, it's not like Season 1 stayed close to the source material. I'd even venture to say that no one on the creative team ever played any D&D tabletop game. They just used creatues and spells that sounded like what they needed for the script, because 80ies - Demogorgon being one of the most powerful evil entities in D&D, for instance, but nothing like the creature in season 1.

True Sight doesn't let you see into th Ethereal Plane, 80ies D&D doesn't need one to roll a to-hit on a fireball spell and yeah, the the Mind Flayers aren't anything like the description in the series.

Doesn't really matter though, it gets the point across. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I just don't like when she is all in her "WHAT IS WRONG WITH MA BOI??"-mode. Hope they won't continue this in the next season.