What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Out of curiosity, and to take a break from some sql, I watched an episode of Seal Team.

Seems like a fairly functional "new" take on The Unit. Just this time around, it's a Seal Team, and the balance of missions away and home life and families, rather than Army Special Forces.

They're weaving in the strands of the top-line team, the wives and kids, and the ****y young guy going through training who wants to get in.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Out of curiosity, and to take a break from some sql, I watched an episode of Seal Team.

Seems like a fairly functional "new" take on The Unit. Just this time around, it's a Seal Team, and the balance of missions away and home life and families, rather than Army Special Forces.

They're weaving in the strands of the top-line team, the wives and kids, and the ****y young guy going through training who wants to get in.

Loved The Unit!...."fired up!"

I'll definitely check this out, cheers!

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Into the Badlands.

Currently watching this on Amazon Prime, 2 X 6 episode seasons, season 3 will be 15 episodes, but won't be out until 2018.

It's post apocalyptic style, the areas in which it is filmed are standard stuff though, like what you see in TWD or Revolution etc.

The territory is divided up into feudal regions, governed by Barons, the first season it's mostly about Baron Quinn and The Widow (I want to have her babies!) and the story is mostly about a young boy, who, if he gets cut, turns into an awesome Kung Fu killing machine.

Lots of Chop Socky and sword-fu, great wire work, excellent actors and lots and lots of CLARET! :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3865236/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

https://youtu.be/eB9dABjwa9o

Edited by Fiach

Oh boy.

Starfleet set up a blockade to defend a vital mining colony that got ambushed by Klingons and now there's no ship in range to defend it except the Discovery and it's, ahem, spore displacement drive that is now actually using Sammael the Hellhound as navigational computer. Oh and that mine supplies 40% of the Federation's fuel (not counting forests of pizza topping) so of course the only planetary defense the mine has is a shield that can hold off a handful of Birds of Prey for 6 hours.

Ah and Captain Malfoy's chief of security dies because she doesn't check if Sammael's sedation actually worked before lowering the shields and getting herself chopped up.

I... honestly, I don't know. I tend to give TV shows a season to find their footing and start coming up with good episodes but this isn't really going anywhere. They can't even get the manic pixie dream girl/cloud cuckoolander character to be adorkable instead of just irritating. At least Michael behaved like a Starfleet character for a minute or two this episode.

Before abusing an innocent and apparently semi-intelligent creature as a glorified slipstream truffle pig. Cuz that's *so* Trek. Oh and Klingons apparently eat their fallen enemies. Are they generally cannibales or does that only apply to other species?

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Oh boy.

Starfleet set up a blockade to defend a vital mining colony that got ambushed by Klingons and now there's no ship in range to defend it except the Discovery and it's, ahem, spore displacement drive that is now actually using Sammael the Hellhound as navigational computer. Oh and that mine supplies 40% of the Federation's fuel (not counting forests of pizza topping) so of course the only planetary defense the mine has is a shield that can hold off a handful of Birds of Prey for 6 hours.

Ah and Captain Malfoy's chief of security dies because she doesn't check if Sammael's sedation actually worked before lowering the shields and getting herself chopped up.

I... honestly, I don't know. I tend to give TV shows a season to find their footing and start coming up with good episodes but this isn't really going anywhere. They can't even get the manic pixie dream girl/cloud cuckoolander character to be adorkable instead of just irritating. At least Michael behaved like a Starfleet character for a minute or two this episode.

Before abusing an innocent and apparently semi-intelligent creature as a glorified slipstream truffle pig. Cuz that's *so* Trek. Oh and Klingons apparently eat their fallen enemies. Are they generally cannibales or does that only apply to other species?

I don't get the point of this Apres Match thing they have after each episode, wth is the point?

I kinda gave up after ep2, may dip in and out as boredom strikes, but ToS is on Netflix now, so that won't happen anytime soon.

Is Seal Team the one with OJ Simpson?

MV5BMzEyOTZhYmMtYWY0ZC00ZDRlLWI3N2MtMTcx

This time around with David Boreanaz.. ;)

So you are one of those weirdos who have never seen The Godfather or The Wire and whose duty it is to be constantly reminded of this particular failing of their life.  

And then some! Ive also never seen: Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Its a Wonderful Life, Citizen Cane, etc. *runs*

They made me sit through those in film class when i was a kid. They're all terrible. 

You don't know terrible until you're forced to sit through all 111 minutes of Blowup.

No way, Blow-Up is superb. Probably my favorite Antonioni after Red Desert and L'avventura.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

American Vandal - I loved it at first but by the end I only just kinda liked it

Got halfway through ep2 and realised I didn't give a toss who painted the **** on the cars, I found my lack of civic engagement extremely disheartening and turned it off. :)

So you are one of those weirdos who have never seen The Godfather or The Wire and whose duty it is to be constantly reminded of this particular failing of their life.  

Well, at least it's something that can be easily remedied. :grin: I'm also pretty slow on watching TV shows so I still haven't seen The Wire.

Whoever hasn't seen The Wire needs to stop wasting their time on whatever other inferior shows they are watching and start with The Wire right now.

It literally is the best television ever created. The only bad thing I can say about it is that no other show afterwards will ever compare.

I still can't believe why Breaking Bad rates higher at imdb (well actually I can, it's because of people downvoting The Wire even though they've never even seen it, just so their favorite BB would rate higher). I thought BB was fun for sure, but The Wire is on a whole other level. It's reality disguised as fiction. It's an indepth social analysis of the struggle between the individual and the system. It's absolutely essential for anyone with half a brain.

• Like 1

*snip* It's absolutely essential for anyone with half a brain.

Full brain and to be fair, you also have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've been thinking about watching Rick and Morty, but kirottu completely turned me off of it with his review. I've also got some gross mental imagery in my head of his tattoo.  :(

The Wire is fantastic. Although I'm not sure about the whole full brain requirement. Yeah, it's thought provoking, but it's not like it is hard to follow. It's just an extremely well put together show with excellent acting, writing, and setting.

Mindhunter on Netflix

Shows like this are why I studied Psychology in college.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, at least it's something that can be easily remedied. :grin: I'm also pretty slow on watching TV shows so I still haven't seen The Wire.

Whoever hasn't seen The Wire needs to stop wasting their time on whatever other inferior shows they are watching and start with The Wire right now.

It literally is the best television ever created. The only bad thing I can say about it is that no other show afterwards will ever compare.

I still can't believe why Breaking Bad rates higher at imdb (well actually I can, it's because of people downvoting The Wire even though they've never even seen it, just so their favorite BB would rate higher). I thought BB was fun for sure, but The Wire is on a whole other level. It's reality disguised as fiction. It's an indepth social analysis of the struggle between the individual and the system. It's absolutely essential for anyone with half a brain.

The Wire is awesome, first time I ever saw Idris Elba, made me a huge fan (check out Luther)I never understood the popularity of Breaking Bad, the average Street thug in Dublin would have picked them and the family up and kept hammering nails in them until they got the recepie, BB kind of reminded me 9f America's Dumbest Criminals, but without the laughs . Case in point, 8f you can get a hold of an Irish TV crime drama called LOVE/HATE, its well worth a watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625724/

https://youtu.be/TfheHH6iDrc

My favourite cop show was The Shield, dirty cops with a conscience....kinda...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/?ref_=nv_sr_1

https://youtu.be/dvLOlSMtxQE

• Like 2

The Wire is awesome, first time I ever saw Idris Elba, made me a huge fan (check out Luther)I never understood the popularity of Breaking Bad, the average Street thug in Dublin would have picked them and the family up and kept hammering nails in them until they got the recepie, BB kind of reminded me 9f America's Dumbest Criminals, but without the laughs . Case in point, 8f you can get a hold of an Irish TV crime drama called LOVE/HATE, its well worth a watch.

Go hunt up the mini-series Ultraviolet

It's a down and gritty 6 parter revolving around creatures with fangs who drink blood and the cop who discovers them and gets pulled into a secret government organisation to deal with the threat. Idris Elba plays one of the team involved. Plus its fun in that the word "Vampire" is never mentioned once in the entire show.  It's basically a very British gritty mix of police drama, thriller, mystery and vampire chasing.

• Like 1

Go hunt up the mini-series Ultraviolet It's a down and gritty 6 parter revolving around creatures with fangs who drink blood and the cop who discovers them and gets pulled into a secret government organisation to deal with the threat. Idris Elba plays one of the team involved. Plus its fun in that the word "Vampire" is never mentioned once in the entire show.  It's basically a very British gritty mix of police drama, thriller, mystery and vampire chasing.

That's really interesting! I saw UV When it first aired, I remember the character, but never associated him with Idris, I have it in the attic, so I can watch it again easily, thanks for the heads up!

I've been thinking about watching Rick and Morty, but kirottu completely turned me off of it with his review. I've also got some gross mental imagery in my head of his tattoo.  :(

Rick and Morty is really good, my son is a huge fan, so I tend to watch it when he has it on the TV. It's well worth checking out.

:brows:  

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

You also have to have a very high IQ to understand The Wire. The action is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of urban slang most of the dialogue will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also McNulty's nihilistic outlook and fake Baltimore accent, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from drunk Irish descendant archetypes, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these characterisations, to realize that they're not just stereotypes- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike The Wire truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the subtlety in Bunk and McNulty's definitive "f***" scene which to the well informed is itself a cryptic reference to the NYPD's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge filing denotation. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Paul Simon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Jay Landsman tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the Commissioner Rawls eyes only- And even he'd have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Then again I prefer my copypastas with appropriate revisions.

I like The Wire but it isn't for everyone by any means. It's dense and inpenetrable, and is very slow moving while things are set up. You just about need subtitles for the urban slang in the beginning, few of the characters even approach being sympathetic or heroic, and the normal tropes of television are largely ignored. It's also unforgivingly complex. That's what makes it good to a large extent, but it also makes it something that requires far more concentration and thought than usual, and any of those things can easily turn people off before they get hooked. Especially so if you just want something to relax to after a hard day at work.

• Like 1