What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

whole session is dumb as F

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Yeah, it was a pretty big jump to get a raven to Dragonstone, and the a dragon to north of the wall in a matter of hours. Kind of ruins the whole idea of distance. But hey, plot over logic, and all that. The whole mission made little sense, to be fair. Let's send the king of the north off to capture a wight with a bunch of people with questionable loyalties. It made sense when he was just a grunt in the Watch, but not so much now. 

• Like 1

From the very moment on I knew this whole thing was just a setup to give the enemy some undead dragon. Really, it's the sole purpose of that whole episode. Teleportation never felt this strong ever before. Really bad, actually.

And then they just sit there, with the back to the leader guy, instead of keep burning the enemy. They could have won this whole thing just right there... it just made no damn sense, really. While visually pleasing, this episode made me roll my eyes like crazy.

Also we know Danny doesnt give a f about fire, but apparently she doesn't care about the cold either. Didn't even switched clothes before teleporting to Antarctica.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Maybe I'm less critical than you guys because I've always viewed the series as 'full Hollywood', don't see how it was ever any different. It's not exactly Marketa Lazarova we're talking about. I value in a series like this emotion over logic, and it is present throughout this episode. To me it was damn fine spectacle and storytelling, regardless of any nitpickings about what would have been a better strategy or what coat Dany was using to head beyond the Wall.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Watched the latest episode of Preacher, and I'm going to say something that is going to sound real funny out of context: Given my fear that some of the more, shall we say, controversial story arcs from the comic would not make it onto a TV series on basic cable, never have I been more giddy seeing a grown man relieve himself on another. Mr Rogen, as someone for whom the Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon comic series was a formative experience I doff my hat to you. For all the changes and differences between the original comic and the TV series if there were any doubt that you 100% _got_ Preacher then they have been dispelled.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I give them a lot freedom and never cared about little fingers jumps, etc. but this GoT episode was just way, way too much and completely unbelievable. I wouldn't mind it that much if they had put up a small camp or similar... something that makes it look like they could survive there a bit longer than a few hours.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Maybe I'm less critical than you guys because I've always viewed the series as 'full Hollywood', don't see how it was ever any different. It's not exactly Marketa Lazarova we're talking about. I value in a series like this emotion over logic, and it is present throughout this episode. To me it was damn fine spectacle and storytelling, regardless of any nitpickings about what would have been a better strategy or what coat Dany was using to head beyond the Wall.

Yeah, I kind of see it that way as well. The show has been looking for the next badassery-epic-cool scene ever since the dragons gained prominence, if not sooner. It's just now that's about all there's left so that side is even more exposed. Personally, it's less cringy than the draggy, badly acted Arya storyline. About the dumbest plot I've ever had to watch.

Maybe I'm less critical than you guys because I've always viewed the series as 'full Hollywood'

Wise I think :) but for me at least, it's more a case of 'straw that broke the camels back' .. There's been a lot of little things that were stupid ever since they went beyond the books, but this showed that they've fundamentally misunderstood why the books were interesting. And I just hate when TV writers **** up the source material. It's so easy not to and people very clearly rewarded HBO for actually writing a show that broke with conventions - why then return to them? But then, if they were good writers, they'd write good books and not tv shows.

Fortune favors the bald.

Trying to decide if I really should fortify myself to watch the last 3 episodes of Iron Fist before watching The Defenders....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Maybe I'm less critical than you guys because I've always viewed the series as 'full Hollywood'

And I just hate when TV writers **** up the source material.

There is no source material. They were adapting a series, not writing a new one. But since George decided to never finish the series ever (my interpretation of his behavior), they had to do something.

• Like 1

The Sansa / Arya thing is a bit annoying but it's also understandable to a point.

Think about it, last time they were together.. Sansa was 14/15 and the "perfect" girl of the family. Disliked the big boring uncivilised Winterfell keep and always dreaming of the fancy dresses, "civilised" life down south and marrying a shiny King.  Arya was the 12 year old tomboy who loved the North and was always struggling to not be the princess and just play with the boys. Neither sister really got on well with each other.

They go south, Sansa lies in questioning which forces Arya to chase away her dire wolf to prevent it being killed. The next thing, Arya gets to watch (sort of) her father get beheaded whilst Sansa is stood next to the people who ordered it.. in one of the pretty dresses she always wanted.

Now they've met up once more after several years apart, but neither knows the true story of what each other suffered. You have the initial happy-joy of family together after so many have been thought dead. Then you start to get the normal sister relationship they had kick back in, just combined with Sansa thinking Arya basically ran around happy as a scamp and picking up sword tricks, and Arya thinking Sansa had the court life and dresses she used to wish for. There's going to be friction.

You'd expect both of them by now to have picked up enough awareness to pick out some of the manipulation going on, but eh, the nature of their relationship isn't too glaringly out of context.

Arya vs Sansa is probably only plot which really does not bother me at all

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Plus as Volo points out- she really is (has become) a psychopathic killer - classic DnD MurderHobo.

To be fair, we're really only aware of her commiting one act of mass murder - the male Frey's, with a couple of lone killings in the form of the house patriarch and two other Frey's. All of whom had commited a revenge-worthy atrocity.  It's not like she's running around randomly killing off people.

She has a list. And she's checking it twice.

• Like 1

She wanted Sansa to execute all the Northern lords who dared to criticized Jon. How much more 'murderhobo' can you be? Then you threaten to murder your sister in cold blood. LMAO

Ther eis no logical defense of Arya's actions but there shouldn't be. She is a violent psycho. She has always been a psycho. Just the lack of parenting lets her be more  her true self. Of course, in the end, the show likely won't  go real dark with her because they need to keep her as the 'kewl hero' though, that said,   in various fan videos most wer elike 'WTF Arya wut u smokin'?"

She enjoys the mayhem. She enjoys the killing. She enjoys torturing people. She enjoys the chaos. She has always loved violence. It is her lifeblood.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They are following Martin's template, so I don't think you can JUST blame the writers.

I would. The bits that follow the books are internally consistent, the new bits aren't, that's a definite pattern. You could blame Martin for not finishing the books in a reasonable time frame so they can't follow them any more but that's about it; and competent writers ought to be able to keep to basic logical consistency and be entertaining as well.

Whatever summary Martin has written for them it's unlikely to be so detailed as to give a strict chronology, and even if they did the show writers could simply decide that nobody cares about details and just do what they think is cool anyway. To be fair to them, the ratings do suggest that people don't care. Though if it were to go on a few more seasons I suspect the gripes would accumulate and shock fatigue start to kick in as with The Walking Dead.

A great 80's sci-fi movie starring Ferret Fawcett:

https://youtu.be/gk5tLK22f70

She hot and I love Sci-fi so why not?

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Just caught up with Preacher, and perhaps its explained in the comic, but why

is Jesus' 25th generation all inbred? Both Jesus and the baby momma died instantly and the baby was whisked away. So then they beed that child with some random woman every time they need a new generation....so what gives? Reading too much into it?

It's likely more for the lolz than true science. We've already seen similar with Adolf Hitler in hell. It's like they pick a certain group of people and insult them as much as they can. :>

/edit: Was pretty funny, otherwise I thought that last episode was quite boring. Oh, and I totally hate the season 2 Tulip story arc. I want that Tulip back who was able to craft a home-build rocket launcher and shoot down a helicopter.. this whiny something is just slow and annoying now.

Edited by Lexx